Author Topic: Shutterbug showcase  (Read 402044 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Shutterbug showcase
« Reply #1500 on: July 03, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »
Thanks Nuke.  Interesting sound and the bird book mentions that they do caterwaul during the day more than any other owl.  It is interesting that they eat fireflys.

We only hear the Great Horned owls at night.  They do a lot of who's, as many as eight I have counted but usually less.  Have never heard one screech but they do that I am told. 

We are supposed to have Barn owls around here too but I have only seen them in the southern half of Kansas when Quail hunting.  Once, about thirty years ago I saw a Snowy Owl in the south end of Kansas along the Cimarron river.  It was in November while hunting Blue Quail.  It is way out of their normal range.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #1501 on: July 04, 2018, 10:54:32 AM »
Wasn't exactly sure where to put this since it's a trail cam photo, but figured here was as good as any.

I've watched barred owls in my backyard for several years now.  It took me a while to figure out what they were catching/eating because I knew I didn't have that many field rats or deer mice that they could constantly be swooping down on and eating.  Best I can figure is when it's a good year for lightning bugs it's also a good year for barred owls.  ...
I know nothing about barred owls, but the Great Horned Owl is the principal predator of skunks. :shocked:
I see all your bird feeders.  Could that be like a luncheon buffet for these owls?  The Cooper's Hawks here think my bird feeders are their personal fast-food outlet.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #1502 on: July 04, 2018, 11:22:21 AM »
Cool pic. Bet that is a bird buffet. Haha.

I live sorta in the country and hear owls but never see them. I've only seen one or two in the wild...ever.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone
« Reply #1503 on: July 04, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
We have a fair amount of owls here. We like having them around as they are nocturnal just like the pocket gophers. They keep those little pests in check.

One night, a few years ago - just outside our open window, one of the adults appeared to be teaching a young one how to "who". One of the funniest things I have ever heard in the wild.

Another night we were on the front porch and heard what sounded like baby raccoons in the woods. We got a flashlight. One of those million candlepower jobs you see everywhere and went to investigate. There, lined up on a tree limb were three or four little owls just a chortling away. What a surprise, we never expected owls to make that sound. Wonderful and memorable.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #1504 on: July 04, 2018, 04:06:38 PM »
I see all your bird feeders.  Could that be like a luncheon buffet for these owls?  The Cooper's Hawks here think my bird feeders are their personal fast-food outlet.

Well, OP, all I can say with 100% certainty about that is, "I don't think so."  The BOs, at least in my limited observations of them have never shown any interest in the birds on the bird feeders.  I've seen them land 10 feet away from a cottontail to get a lightning bug.  They've never even bothered 6 week old chickens that are still out free ranging in the yard when they show up in the evening.  Cooper's Hawks are another story.  I used to have a few other bird feeders further out in the yard.  The Cooper's Hawks loved them, but those feeders are no longer there.  I didn't care about the Cooper's Hawks getting an easy meal, but my wallet was thinner from paying for feeding the deer that would come tip the feeders to spill the black oil sunflower seeds for an easy meal.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #1505 on: July 04, 2018, 08:25:58 PM »
That kind of cohabitation is great to see. I always considered the owls as the "gentlemen" of the Birds of Prey.  I've seen redtails and Swainson hawks go after crows just for having the nerve to fly in "their" sky. LOL

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #1506 on: July 05, 2018, 11:40:49 AM »
Look who's eating the cantaloupe innards I threw out for the chickens.

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #1507 on: July 05, 2018, 01:59:43 PM »
Haha! Good catch.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #1508 on: July 27, 2018, 09:07:50 PM »
While my daughter was doing a portrait shoot at a local Historical Village, this 1917 thrashing machine caught my eye.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #1509 on: July 28, 2018, 08:33:41 AM »
Looks like an Allis-Chalmers/John Deere hybrid GMO to me. :shrug:    Nice capture, Ol' P! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #1510 on: July 28, 2018, 09:14:50 AM »
Steampunk.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #1511 on: July 28, 2018, 12:11:31 PM »
Enlarge that one to 17x22 or so and frame it in barnwood.  Hang it in your office if you got one, the kitchen if you don't.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #1512 on: August 02, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »
Thanks! The next time I'm at the Village I'll take a full view so Wolfy can give us a positive ID.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #1513 on: August 05, 2018, 01:19:03 PM »
Looks like an Allis-Chalmers/John Deere hybrid GMO to me. :shrug:    Nice capture, Ol' P! :thumbsup:

Here ya go, Wolfy!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #1514 on: August 05, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »
Here are couple more trips down "memory lane", or maybe possibly "before my time".