Author Topic: Complaints and issues concerning other websites, a policy change  (Read 8659 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Many of our members are not new to internet forums and have migrated here from elsewhere

online. Some of us have come here because we became disillusioned about other forums. And

some of us had (and still have) a need for an outlet for those frustrations. In the past,

when our forum was just getting established, it was perhaps inevitable that we would need to

vent our frustrations publicly.

But time has passed, and we have moved on. It is important that as a community, we don't

allow ourselves to be defined by what we aren't, rather than what we are.

To that end, from now on, if anyone has a problem, suggestion, gripe, bad experience,

complaint, or any other issue about any other website, the correct place to discuss those

issues is that other website. If for whatever reason, you cannot discuss those

problems there, then that's between you and the other website.

One of the biggest things that we had in mind when creating this forum was free and

uninhibited discussion on a broad range of topics. We don't want to micromanage our board.

Rather, we hope to let discussions follow their natural course instead of locking them if

they stray off topic.

But when the topic is detrimental to the overall forum community, then there is a compelling

reason to put an end to it. We beleive that any further discussion about how members are

mistreated elsewhere online isn't good for our forum. We aren't going to be the place people

come to complain about other forums simply because they aren't allowed to complain over

there.

So with that said, and understanding all too well how frustrating it is to be unfairly

treated, from now on we are going to actively remove threads who's primary focus is to

complain about other websites. This is nothing personal, just a necessary measure to ensure

that we are known for our merits, rather than someone else's failures.

Nothing in this new policy change is intended to prevent the private discussion of these

issues between our members. If you have something that really irritates you about

another forum, you may use the PM system to discuss it with whoever you want. I'm a good

listener and you are welcome to PM me anytime, just keep it off the open forum, please.

Thanks,

Your B&B admin team.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Complaints and issues concerning other websites, a policy change
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »
I think that's a great move!  Behind it 1000%.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
  • Jontok Bushy Approved 7-30-12
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
Sounds good to me.  WILCO
Why kill them with kindness when you can use and axe? - found on Facebook

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
less drama = more fun!

Thanks PW
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Yeh haw! Winners Not Whiners!! 
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
Yeh haw! Winners Not Whiners!!

Good one Smoke.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Many of our members are not new to internet forums and have migrated here from elsewhere

online. Some of us have come here because we became disillusioned about other forums. And

some of us had (and still have) a need for an outlet for those frustrations. In the past,

when our forum was just getting established, it was perhaps inevitable that we would need to

vent our frustrations publicly.

But time has passed, and we have moved on. It is important that as a community, we don't

To that end, from now on, if anyone has a problem, suggestion, gripe, bad experience,

complaint, or any other issue about any other website, the correct place to discuss those

issues is that other website. If for whatever reason, you cannot discuss those

problems there, then that's between you and the other website.

One of the biggest things that we had in mind when creating this forum was free and

uninhibited discussion on a broad range of topics. We don't want to micromanage our board.

Rather, we hope to let discussions follow their natural course instead of locking them if

they stray off topic.

But when the topic is detrimental to the overall forum community, then there is a compelling

reason to put an end to it. We beleive that any further discussion about how members are

mistreated elsewhere online isn't good for our forum. We aren't going to be the place people

come to complain about other forums simply because they aren't allowed to complain over

there.

So with that said, and understanding all too well how frustrating it is to be unfairly

treated, from now on we are going to actively remove threads who's primary focus is to

complain about other websites. This is nothing personal, just a necessary measure to ensure

that we are known for our merits, rather than someone else's failures.

Nothing in this new policy change is intended to prevent the private discussion of these

issues between our members. If you have something that really irritates you about

another forum, you may use the PM system to discuss it with whoever you want. I'm a good

listener and you are welcome to PM me anytime, just keep it off the open forum, please.

Thanks,

Your B&B admin team.

Good thinking guys,  and you're right,  our conduct does define who we are.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 04:42:36 PM »
I think that's a great move!  Behind it 1000%.

Yup, what he says!  :thumbsup:

What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »
Nailed It!!! 8)
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
we appreciate all you guys patience during these times, but the last thing we want is to get steered in a direction that we do not want/need. this is a great place to discuss just about anything you want, and with new members registering every day, there is no reason to dwell on the past.

that said, like PW if you need to vent i am available as well through the PM system here, or if you need i will give you my direct email address as well :thumbsup:
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »
This place stands on its own merits. 

I applaud this announcement as a positive move.

Thank you.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »
I agree with first post Let's all move on!
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 08:21:46 PM »
What the heck is this topic about?

The water moves on downstream... no matter how high the dam.

No use to worry over, "water than has gone over the dam".

;)

Good post/idea!
 :thumbsup:

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Half Axe

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
It is important that as a community, we don't

Good move, guys!

I've been more than a little concerned about the B & B Forum being perceived as a refugee camp for forlorn members of another forum, as one new member had so pointedly put it in their introduction post.  Not why I became a member.

By taking this step, I believe you are leading by example and setting a standard for other places to measure up to.  Well done!

Offline RemeaviThanatos

• Mill File+
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:25:54 AM »

Good move, guys!

I've been more than a little concerned about the B & B Forum being perceived as a refugee camp for forlorn members of another forum, as one new member had so pointedly put it in their introduction post.  Not why I became a member.

By taking this step, I believe you are leading by example and setting a standard for other places to measure up to.  Well done!
[/quote]

Exactly so.

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 06:04:34 AM »
Outstanding!
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 07:10:11 AM »
This is nothing personal, just a necessary measure to ensure that we are known for our merits, rather than someone else's failures.

Felt this needed to be repeated. I agree wholeheartedly.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This is why I haven't been posting as much as of late... I didn't like some of what I was seeing. Time had long passed that we simply moved on and/or ignored whatever is outside of this forum.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This is why I haven't been posting as much as of late... I didn't like some of what I was seeing. Time had long passed that we simply moved on and/or ignored whatever is outside of this forum.

+1

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »
Ok, folks. The offending threads have been removed to a "quarantine" area where they will no longer be visible. We didn't want to delete them entirely for several reasons. One is that they contain a LOT of posts, and that would reduce our overall forum post count. A high post count is attractive to prospective new members, so by preserving these threads, we keep their posts as well.

Also, we wanted to preserve the information in these threads as well for reference purposes. If we ever need to "remember" something that was said in one of them, it will be there.

But in the interest of overall community harmony, they are no longer available to post in. Given the policy change, they were clearly counter to the direction we are taking so it is in our best interest to remove them.

I apologize to anyone who might have been typing a spectacularly witty response to any of these threads. :D

Carry on...

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 11:41:51 AM »
Well handled, sirs!

Thank you.

KK

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
We don't need to look back!!!  This place is great!!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
Ok, folks. The offending threads have been removed to a "quarantine" area where they will no longer be visible. We didn't want to delete them entirely for several reasons. One is that they contain a LOT of posts, and that would reduce our overall forum post count. A high post count is attractive to prospective new members, so by preserving these threads, we keep their posts as well.

Also, we wanted to preserve the information in these threads as well for reference purposes. If we ever need to "remember" something that was said in one of them, it will be there.

But in the interest of overall community harmony, they are no longer available to post in. Given the policy change, they were clearly counter to the direction we are taking so it is in our best interest to remove them.

I apologize to anyone who might have been typing a spectacularly witty response to any of these threads. :D

Carry on...

As much as it goes against the grain to see threads locked down or disappeared,  in this case I think you guys called it right,  many of us recognize that it's not always easy being at the top and trying to satisfy everybody while doing what's best for the forum as a whole,  speaking for myself,  your efforts are appreciated.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
thanks moe. we are happy that everyone is maintaining a positive attitude towards these changes... and while some may disagree with our decision, in time everyone will see that it is for the best for our new home :)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
Amen
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 08:11:31 AM »
very nice
The more things change, the more they remain the same.