Author Topic: ESEE 6  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
ESEE 6
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:18:30 PM »
I have been searching for a knife that fills the void between my 3-4" basic knives and my machetes. I honed in on the ESEE 6. A friend sent me his to try before I buy. I just got it today and I am thoroughly impressed!

I had an ESEE 4 that I never really liked. It never felt "right" in my hand. This 6 does.

My concern is if I am creating a need that I don't really have! I am thinking that this would save me from lugging my machete around, and save me from crying when I need something longer than my smaller bushcraft knives.

Or am I just experience knife lust?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: ESEE 6
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »
I dunno. I haven't held the 6, but I really like the 4, so go figure! :D

Part of it is than in my sagebrush, pinyon-juniper area there really isn't much that I need a long knife for. Now if I was back in Louisiana I wouldn't want to be without a good machete. Something light and fast that can cut through springy briars and saplings is indispensable. But out here everything has a woody stem and doesn't grow close together.

But I could still easily buy a knife I don't need just because I think it's cool. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. What's the vegetation like in your area?

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:41:34 PM »
I am in Pennsylvania. It is mostly hardwoods.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »
i think its good to try new things. ive made due with cheap knives almost all my life. when i say cheap, im talking $30 cheap. the first "nice" knife i had was a schrade PH1. it was an awesome knife, and i made due with it. i used it for years, not knowing what i was missing in different knives. now, i make knives, and trade knives. usually i can trade with someone if they have something i think i will like.

the difference with me and most people though, is when i get a knife i dont like, it goes down the road. i dont have a massive collection like some guys (as sweet as they are!).

im just rambling now!! the point of this was you wont know what you are missing if you dont try new things, and on the flip side of that, if you can afford it you will build quite the collection trying to find something that you like :)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »
My trouble is that when I find something I do like, I buy multiple examples of it so I can keep one "nice" while I use the other. The gear piles up pretty quick that way. And then they come out with an improved model and it starts all over again!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 07:32:47 AM »
My trouble is that when I find something I do like, I buy multiple examples of it so I can keep one "nice" while I use the other. The gear piles up pretty quick that way. And then they come out with an improved model and it starts all over again!

I am usually the same way.  Other than my Dad, I didn't know anyone else that did that.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
I say pass on the EESE-6.

It can't chop like your machete, and it's not going to be as nimble for finer tasks like your smaller knifes.

If you're looking for a little extra length because you like batoning, you can do better than the 6 and it's full flat grind.  For batoning you'd be better off with something with a sabre grind like a BK-7.

On the other hand, the 6 could be a good "one knife only" choice.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
I say pass on the EESE-6.

It can't chop like your machete, and it's not going to be as nimble for finer tasks like your smaller knifes.

If you're looking for a little extra length because you like batoning, you can do better than the 6 and it's full flat grind.  For batoning you'd be better off with something with a sabre grind like a BK-7.On the other hand, the 6 could be a good "one knife only" choice.

I have a BK-7 and it works very well for batoning.  Although, I do have to say that it is unwieldy for the finer tasks. 
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
I have a BK-7 and it works very well for batoning.  Although, I do have to say that it is unwieldy for the finer tasks.

I'm sure it is.  With it's choil, albeit an anemic one, the EESE-6 will certainly out perform the BK-7 in that department.

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:08:42 PM »
I recently traded for an ESEE 6.  I really like it.. its rather large for a belt knife but you can chock up on it via the choil for smaller tasks, granted not good enough for carving.  It can hack smaller stuff and chop notches, also its big enough to do some planing with.. The handle feels good in my hands, alot smother than the Ontarios, and their sheaths are far better than what comes with the Ontarios as well.  All and all I'd say its one of those jack of all trades, master of none knives.  Just my opinion of course, but I like it. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 08:13:46 PM »

I will buy one I really like and then put it away.  It becomes a safe queen because, in my mind, I am saving it for "good". 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »
I'm not familiar with those knives, but I don't see a problem with the "in-between" niche.  We have day packs, "3-day" packs and then full on packs.  We have rimfires, mid caliber and large bore stuff.  Cars, pickups and semi's.  Why not with your scenario too?!  It saves over working a smaller blade (which may not be safe) and prevents getting out the "big guns".

Or perhaps I'm just enabling knife lust...  Who me??