Author Topic: "Real" mountain living  (Read 7585 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
"Real" mountain living
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:25:39 PM »
Went up to a buddy's place today to help him haul a junk truck over to pull the engine.
We got to BS'ing about the TV show Mountain Men.  My friend knows Tom Oar personally. We had quite a laugh over how the TV show portrays his lifestyle. We talked about the Verizon cell phone coverage in the Yaak, how the Oar's have a telephone land-line (as seen on TV), and electrical power like most others in the Valley. The subject came up about the Yaak Merchantile near the Dirty Shame Saloon, and how Rosauer's Supermarket in Libby is 37 miles from the Yaak, not 100 miles.

Anyway, my buddy just go done adding another 20 chickens to his flock, and expanded their yard to include his old hunting dog's run (may he RIP).  I thought I'd share a couple pictures I took of what living out in the sticks up here is really like.

This is a shot of the tool/storage shed. The thing was constructed over 20 years ago from slab wood from the Amish lumber mill.  Slab wood seems to last forever.

This is a shot of his chicken coop and yard, Montana style. This in an area where skunks, coyotes, bobcats, and black bear can be nightly visitors.  The wire cover is for protection against the hawks and eagles.
BTW, that white line with the yellow flags on it around the bottom of the chicken yard is an electric fence.  ;)

Thanks for looking!
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
Re: "Real" mountain living
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »
Looks pretty good OP. I thought for a second before I started reading that the shed was the house. I think he could use an old fashioned wooden out house instead of the ugly modern one. :)
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
Beautiful country you guys have.   All those trees.  wow.

Ok..   now I'm thinking on the story of the Lil' Red Hen running around yelling that the sky is falling.....    There might be some truth to her knowlege because she watched it on CNN on a Dish Satellite TV.    Whats with all these chicken coops with Dishes on or nearby?     :)   :)

Does you buddy grow a garden amongst all those trees?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »
That satellite dish is actually on a pole way behind the chicken yard. Had to put it out in the only open space where he could get a shot at open sky.  :)

Yes, there is a garden. Mostly raspberries, strawberries, and cole crops. There was a greenhouse for several years, but the weather, falling limbs and old age turned it into just raised beds now.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »
Goodness... on the one pix it looks like its on a pole right next to the chicken coop.    :)

I do like that chicken coop and big open run he has for them.  Happy Chickens I think.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Sudz

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
Good friend of mine is moving up to that area in a week from southwest MT. I need to make a trip up to visit him sometime, it's been a longtime since I have traveled NW MT.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »
Goodness... on the one pix it looks like its on a pole right next to the chicken coop.    :)

I do like that chicken coop and big open run he has for them.  Happy Chickens I think.   

WW.
The dish pole is actually right near that blue shack in the background. In the panorama shot, that 'lean-to' looking thing to the left of the blue tarp is the old dog house. The chickens took that over, too.

The coop looks pretty rustic, but he actually has it insulated, and wired for lights, and heat if needed.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 10:07:12 AM »
.... I think he could use an old fashioned wooden out house instead of the ugly modern one. :)
LOL! Never turn down anything free that saves time and labor! And it's a heck of a lot easier to move when it's time to start a new hole.  ;D
I call it his Tardis. He doesn't have a clue.... ???

Half Axe

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
.... I think he could use an old fashioned wooden out house instead of the ugly modern one. :)
LOL! Never turn down anything free that saves time and labor! And it's a heck of a lot easier to move when it's time to start a new hole.  ;D
I call it his Tardis. He doesn't have a clue.... ???

Now that's just funny right there!  Thanks for sharing.