Author Topic: 2011 condor bushlore  (Read 17466 times)

Offline treez

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
2011 condor bushlore
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:15:33 AM »
After reading Wood Trekker's knife review on the 2011 Bushlore I decided to get one. I like it a lot, it has a good weight to it and feels good in the hand. I had to take some time sharpening and the more I use it the more I like it.

I have been thinking about removing the finish that it came with on the blade. Has anyone here done that and any tips on doing this? Anyone do this then regret it?

Thanks.

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
Re: 2011 condor bushlore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »
If you get a good one, its a really good knife for the money.  But I had to send two 2011 models back before I got one that was acceptable.

I am not a DIY type person so I probably won't be buying another Condor.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:46:23 PM by fire steel 703 »
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:19 PM »
I looked at those early last year as a full-tang alternative to stuffing my packs with Mora knives. But at the time, most of their distributors still had the old model in stock. It was difficult to know if you were going to get the 2011 model or not. By the time they were hitting stores I was already making my own knives. I'd still like to see one up close to see if I'd like it.

Offline Toddler

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »
I like the 2011's,  they are rough, but if you put some time on a belt sander for both the edge and the handle you have a winner.  I think of them as a project knife, but for the cost, it's worth the effort.  A hair poppin edge can be attained and the handle can be made to fit quite easily.  The sheath is a real winner!  tight and well made, no slop in the quality.
I don't need a bigger knife, I need smaller wood!

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »
The handle on my 2010 version is the most comfortable handle I've ever had on a knife. My blade, though, was crap, but Red saved it for me  ;D I do not think they changed the handle for 2011, just a 1/8" blade and a less ridiculous ricasso.

So, where are the pictures man?!?!

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:15:52 AM »
yeah, pics are always a must :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
When I get a chance I will post some pics of my Condor, as well as the Wetterlings large hunters axe that I talked my wife into letting me get.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 04:28:13 AM »
I have the older garbage model too.  The rep wanted me to send it back to them, but I decided to keep it as a reminder of how I NEVER want to turn out a blade.  Then I saw red's salvage one and I decided to use it as my first experiment whenever I get enough shop equipment to make blades.

It still amazes me that they actually turned out such garbage in the older model and considered it acceptable.  The kuk I have from a leaf spring beats that Condor hands down in appearance, sharpness, fit, finish...you name it!  The only good thing I can say about it is it has a leather sheath that hides most of the flaws.

Offline Kevin McGee

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »
Definitely consider this a project knife. I had a lot of fun working on mine, though.

Some people like the factory edge, but I can't comprehend it.  I reprofiled the edge, then went to work on the scales. I sanded them from 120 to 400 grit and then finished off with three coats of danish oil.  The wood is beautiful Brazilian walnut, if you work quickly between the last sanding and the finishing (it will turn dark again), the color is much lighter than stock, kind of a caramel, and it has a 3D shimmer effect (though this does not show up in photos).

Here is mine:

Offline hughewil

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »
I like it more and more each time I use it.  It has now replaced the Clipper as my pack knife.

My Youtube Channel
Beckerhead #127

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
I can see what you mean Kevin, that does really lighten up the scales. 

You're right, it is a good knife to consider a project blade.  Have you seen the one red turned out?  It really looks good!  I've not seen it with scales yet, but would like to.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:12:37 PM »

You're right, it is a good knife to consider a project blade.  Have you seen the one red turned out?  It really looks good!  I've not seen it with scales yet, but would like to.

Do you mean this one that he reground and heat treated for me?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:14:27 PM by Gurthy »

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »

Do you mean this one that he reground and heat treated for me?

Yeah, WOW that really turned out nice!  I really like those scales.  That's a totally different knife now!

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »
Red did a great job on the blade... the high grind carves really well and the blade holds a great edge.  I've beaten the crap out of it and only had to recently touch up the edge. The handle is curly maple stained and coated in linseed oil and is very comfortable. I have a few "nicer" knives but I keep coming back to this beast.

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
Well, I sanded the scales it came out nice. I will post a pic when I get a chance. I sanded them and applied some linseed oil. Came out nice.

Now I just have to do some research on polishing the blade up a bit.

All the other pictures posted by you guys look great!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Taptalk

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »
I got one of these Condors Bushsomethingorothe r last year, but do not know what "year/model" it is. Didn't blink an eye at the price. (around $32-35 US... Hell, it was doggone inexpensive. )
 :)
 I like it well enough, for what I will use it for. It was bought as a replacement for my Aircrew survival knife I kept when I left the USMC. Been using that Aircrew knife for years. But, I want to save that one to pass on to one of my sons, or grankids. So I got that Condor & a BK2 to try out. (The BK2 is still untested as of yet, even though  have done some mods to it & sharpened.) As far as the Condor,  just put some linseed oil on the handle & then poly'ed it. No work on the blade, but to do a sharpening job. Blade is thicker than 1/8 inch though, closer to 3/16" I'd say.. or in between them...
I'll try to post a pic later.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:40:39 AM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »

Sorry not the best pic. All I did was sand the scales a bit. I might try and remove the powder coating or whatever that is on the blade this weekend. Maybe use some different grits of sandpaper, not sure. Never done that before, so we will see.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
a pic is a pic :D thanks for posting it!!

Red did a great job on the blade... the high grind carves really well and the blade holds a great edge.  I've beaten the crap out of it and only had to recently touch up the edge. The handle is curly maple stained and coated in linseed oil and is very comfortable. I have a few "nicer" knives but I keep coming back to this beast.

and to think you were just going to throw it away :P
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 12:32:57 PM »
Well, I took some sandpaper to the blade this weekend and I am pleased with the results. I started out at 100 grit and finished at 600. I might some 1600 grit, but I am not sure.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
Looking good treez. How thick are these blades?
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
Re: Re: 2011 condor bushlore
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »
Looking good treez. How thick are these blades?

Thanks!  About 1/8 inch, maybe a little thicker. I would like to take the grind a higher than it is, but I don't have the tools or skill for that yet.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »
That's looking good treez!

Offline econnofoot

• Whetstone
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »
I'm about to pull the trigger on one and one of their greenland hatchets as one of my fave vendors has them both back in stock,I'm tired of waiting for the Kephart to come out.
"I once Saw a Stripper in Amsterdam do the Scandi-Grind"

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 09:36:05 PM »
I'm getting the laminated Bushlore this Monday!  Looking forward to it.  I'll post some action pics after I work it in...
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »
My 2011 Condor Bushlore.

I know you've seen these, and many of you even own them, but I sure was excited to get this from Paul over at bushcraftcanada.com .  (Paul, by the way, is awesome to deal with.  I've not talked to him except through emails, but he is really, really helpful and he seems the real deal.)  Here's the knife:

I was kind of surprised at how wide the blade is.  I kinda expected more of a longer narrower blade.  I am not familiar with names of blade styles and stuff, but is this almost like something one could call a "willow leaf" shape?  It reminds me of the blade of one of my neck knives - and my current neck knife carry - shown here beside it for a comparison:

Overall, I am happy with the knife so far.  I haven't used it really, but I am still working on getting the blade uniformly sharp.  I love the micarta (only my second knife I think with micarta!) handle - it feels grippy and warm.  And of course, the case is as good as everyone says it is.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:22:12 PM by kanukkarhu »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »
How thick is the blade material, K?
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
How thick is the blade material, K?

1/8" my friend.

KK

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »
And now that I own one of these, I have a question... this thing came with a scandi grind and a secondary convex bevel.  I don't have the equipment or skill to take anything mechanical to this knife. (So raising bevels etc seems out of the question.)

Should I put the hours and hours into making this a pure scandi grind, or should I just use the... scanvex? grind it comes with?? 

What did you guys do with yours?

Thanks for any help...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:01:18 PM by kanukkarhu »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:07 PM »
I don't own one, but if it was me I think I'd just leave it the way it is rather than try to take it back to a pure Scandinavian grind.  I've just been using a leather strop and a strip of sandpaper on top of it, rubber-banded at the ends to a short section of 2X4.  Seems to work real well for me, but I don't claim to be an expert on it, either.   To really hone and polish the final edge, I just take off the sandpaper and dress the strop with some emery polishing compound that I picked up at Harbor Freight and lightly strop it while I'm watching TV in my easy chair 8)

Somebody will probably come by and tell you how it should really be done, but that's what I've done with mine and my arms, belly, and legs are as smooth and hairless as a baby's butt :shocked:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »
I don't own one, but if it was me I think I'd just leave it the way it is rather than try to take it back to a pure Scandinavian grind.  I've just been using a leather strop and a strip of sandpaper on top of it, rubber-banded at the ends to a short section of 2X4.  Seems to work real well for me, but I don't claim to be an expert on it, either.   To really hone and polish the final edge, I just take off the sandpaper and dress the strop with some emery polishing compound that I picked up at Harbor Freight and lightly strop it while I'm watching TV in my easy chair 8)

Somebody will probably come by and tell you how it should really be done, but that's what I've done with mine and my arms, belly, and legs are as smooth and hairless as a baby's butt :shocked:

Ha!  Wolfy, you kill me man! :rofl: Belly too?  I do the arm and legs thing (Mrs. Karhu hates it - looks like I got some kind of patchy mange I guess...), but belly?  Opening up a whole new world of possibilities bro!

I've been grinding away, filing with a diamond file all stinkin' night!  I do reckon you're right: it is time to abandon all expectations of a pure scandi grind (probably too steep anyway?) and move into the 'scandivex' grind it came with.

Thanks man!

KK

Edit: From your avatar there looks like you've also moved on to 'face' too.... ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:12:18 PM by kanukkarhu »

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 05:33:40 AM »
I have the older model with the wider blade and the edge looked like crap.  I spend a lot of time on it and finally left it as is...remembering what it is-a $30 production model.  I bought it as a knife to baton with/abuse around camp, to save my better ones.  They are a very robust blade with poorer metal work than a Mora in my opinion.

I'd leave it as is and use it.  As you sharpen it you'll establish a better edge than it has now.  I made mine a flat scandi, but it took a LOT of work!!

Red did a dandy job on Gurthy's model, but it was a complete re-do of a production model.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »
Thanks Dano.  Sounds like good advice.

I spent a little more and got the micarta handles so I'd be OK with putting a little more work into it.  Problem is, part of the blade scandi'd up nice, and part of the blade I'm working just to get sharp-ish.

I had planned to use this as a main blade.  I have no other full-tang bushcrafty scandi blade.  I have a few Moras.  Wanted a tougher blade, and can't really afford anything more than this...

Thanks for the reply.

KK

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 08:26:48 AM »
You probably already know this, but take a sharpie and color the edge all the way up the grind so the whole grind is covered.  Make a few passes on each side on a dry stone and look at it.  If it's anything like mine, you'll be amazed how crappy it is.  You'll see the highs and lows, all the waves and unevenness but more importantly, you'll see if it's more scandi or convex.  That may help you decide which way you want to go.  I bet I have 4 hours in mine and still have a few low spots in it. 

I didn't mean to put it or you down if it came out that way.  I think of them as a good project blade.  I think once you get the edge established the way you want it, you'll be happier with it and it will serve you well. 

If they would hire a few Mora grinders, they'd have a decent product LOL!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
You probably already know this, but take a sharpie and color the edge all the way up the grind so the whole grind is covered.  Make a few passes on each side on a dry stone and look at it.  If it's anything like mine, you'll be amazed how crappy it is.  You'll see the highs and lows, all the waves and unevenness but more importantly, you'll see if it's more scandi or convex.  That may help you decide which way you want to go.  I bet I have 4 hours in mine and still have a few low spots in it. 

I didn't mean to put it or you down if it came out that way.  I think of them as a good project blade.  I think once you get the edge established the way you want it, you'll be happier with it and it will serve you well. 

If they would hire a few Mora grinders, they'd have a decent product LOL!

Agreed on the Mora grinders! They do their thing well.

I did the marker trick last night, and it looks uneven but not so's I can't eventually fix it.  I'm in about 2 solid hours maybe...

Good point about the scandi vs convex idea - it seems slightly more convex than scandi right now, so I guess I should go convex.

Loving the feel of the knife as well as the blade shape.  Wider than I thought.

Thanks for your help!

KK