Author Topic: Is this Chaga?  (Read 3300 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
Is this Chaga?
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
Hey guys, I'm in upstate NY for the next 2 days climbing with my brother and father at the Shawangunks, commonly referred to as the Gunks near New Paltz. Anyway I found this at the beginning of the main trail and am going to harvest it tomorrow if it's Chaga. Thanks for the help.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
Re: Is this Chaga?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »
I have not  run across it myself yet  and am no expert but from what I recall chaga is mainly formed on birches. that's oak? again guessing there on the wood LOL  hopefully someone else with more knowledge  can help. Just from what I recall reading 
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline American Grouch

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:46:53 AM »
It's not chaga bro, as far as I can tell. I've never seen it form quite like that. It's very rough and porous outside with a somewhat soft, brown almost corkish interior.

This is what the interior looks like.

The following images are of Chaga on the tree as I've found it.

The one below is my favorite chaga find so far. The bark doesn't appear to be Birch but I assure you that is indeed a Birch tree. Higher up the bark was much smoother and was classical Birch bark. The bark tends to rough up with extreme age.Most birch trees don't really live that long, those that do end up with bark like this. One of the best chaga finds I've ever ran across.

AMERICAN GROUCH

Offline The Warrior

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
but from what I recall chaga is mainly formed on birches.
That's what I  thought as well.
Weshecat-too-weh! Weshecat-welo k'weshe laweh-pah!

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
It's not chaga bro, as far as I can tell. I've never seen it form quite like that. It's very rough and porous outside with a somewhat soft, brown almost corkish interior.

This is what the interior looks like.

The following images are of Chaga on the tree as I've found it.

The one below is my favorite chaga find so far. The bark doesn't appear to be Birch but I assure you that is indeed a Birch tree. Higher up the bark was much smoother and was classical Birch bark. The bark tends to rough up with extreme age.Most birch trees don't really live that long, those that do end up with bark like this. One of the best chaga finds I've ever ran across.

Almost looks like river birch
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
thanks guys.