Author Topic: Axe Question  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Axe Question
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »

For you Axe guys,  while digging through some old tools in my basement I came across a couple of old Axes,  both have handles though the handles have seen some rough use and are dried and loose.
  Both heads are unmarked as to the makers,  one has been re-handled at one time I believe,  the head is stamped made in USA.
  The other is unmarked but the handle appears original,  that is maked Woodings-Verona.  both heads are rusted and wear a few minor dings,  but the edges are un-damaged and don't appear to have ever been resharpened,  both are full sized axes,  the Woodings-Verona seems in the 2lb. range with a handle about 28" long,  the other is closer to 3lbs. with the handle at about 31" long.

Any one here know any history on Woodings-Verona ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
Re: Axe Question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »
Woodings-Verona is a subdivision (at least currently) of Ames. They are the same company that currently makes the True Temper, RazorBack, Union Tools and Garant axes. The axes made recently are not very high quality like the rest of the Ames axes.

Woodings-Verona was established in 1873. They produced a wide range of metal products. You can see one of their earlier catalogs here (when they were still an independent company): http://www.roseantiquetools.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/woodings5.86.pdf

I'm sure that their earlier products were of good quality, much like most axes from the early 20th century.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
Woodings-Verona is a subdivision (at least currently) of Ames. They are the same company that currently makes the True Temper, RazorBack, Union Tools and Garant axes. The axes made recently are not very high quality like the rest of the Ames axes.

Woodings-Verona was established in 1873. They produced a wide range of metal products. You can see one of their earlier catalogs here (when they were still an independent company): http://www.roseantiquetools.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/woodings5.86.pdf

I'm sure that their earlier products were of good quality, much like most axes from the early 20th century.

Thanks Ross,  I have no clue as to when these were made other than they have to be at least 30 years old,  the Woodings-Verona mark on the handle is still sharp enough to read and mentions none other than it's original name and trade mark,  also the head is held in place much like the GB axes,  with a wooden wedge and a round steel ferral ring driven down through the center of the wedge.

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:17:26 PM »
I don't know enough about them to be able to identify when they were made. That being said, if the axe looks good and can take an edge, doesn't really matter at the end of the day. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »
I don't know enough about them to be able to identify when they were made. That being said, if the axe looks good and can take an edge, doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Well put,  the truth doesn't have to be complicated.