Author Topic: Crusader cup/cook set  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
Crusader cup/cook set
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »
Just got a Crusader cup and cook set, the black version from a purchase at BCUSA. I'm relly excited about this as it is really a neat set up.  I don't have a pic just yet but I will take some and post them up later.

For those that don't know it is a NATO canteen and cup but also comes with a stove and a plastic lid.  I do not have the additiona boiling lid but I will be picking one up very soon.

I plan on taking this with me on my BWCA trip in July so I will have an official review for it then.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
Re: Crusader cup/cook set
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 01:44:47 AM »
Be careful with the coated version, if you place the cup over heat with nothing in it, as we all do from time to time, the paint comes off and until you get rid of it,  it leaves black flakes in everything you make in it - i speak from experience.

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 05:27:29 AM »
You are going to enjoy your kit for many years to come.  I found that the stainless steel Heavy Cover for the USGI cup also fits the Crusader?s cup pretty well.  As I do not like the plastic cover that comes with the Crusader at all I use the metal one for either my US or Brit cups.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »
thanks for the tips guys! WW1, any idea about a replacement for the "green goo" used as a flame source with the stoves?  I saw tubes of fire paste at Cabelas maybe that will work instead?
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:30:48 AM »
I want to give this a try after my box of the original greenheat product is used up.  The reviews on it are a bit low, but it sounds as if part of it is user error.  I know a guy who uses when burning brush piles and he has no complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00504AUJM/ref=asc_df_B00504AUJM2071054?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00504AUJM&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=234814317993322585&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I've had good luck with canned Sterno in the past, so I would imagine this won't be much different...

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:33:18 AM »
I came upon cans of chaffing dish fuel at a salvage company for a few cents a can; I took all they had.  The stuff is jellied alcohol and works pretty well in the stove.  Just remember alcohol burns clear in daylight so you have to work neat when loading the stove, you can easily have a flaming mess and never know it until you get to close.

I think the chaffing fuel is Sterno like Dano mentioned above.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:48:14 AM »
Yep, it is. The hotel I worked at always used that to heat their chaffing dishes. was hoping to get the green goop or something similar to cut down on weight.

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »
forget the green snot for the Crusader it's junk in all but the hottest of weather,  make yourself a Monkey Boy Stove for it, works wonders and is so much more efficient http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/monkey-boy-burner-for-crusader-cooker.html

At the worst you can use Esbit or Hexi in preference to the green snot