Author Topic: Modern bean can as DIY Billy can?  (Read 18760 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
Modern bean can as DIY Billy can?
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:32:57 PM »
The poll asks the question pretty well. I askbecause I can not find a decent sized can to use as a billy can that does not have that white coating in it. I know some folks are concerned with BPA's and such so I am just looking for a quic idea of what you all think.
 ;)
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Re: Modern bean can as DIY Billy can?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »
Personally, no way.

I'm sure a bunch of people will have lots to teach us about tin cans, but for me, I am a bit skeptical of 'em as cooking vessels. YMMV
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:19:15 PM »
I have cooked & heated up foods in the old cans & the new ones. {If you look at my Outings topics, you will see that I do this quite often, or did up until a couple weeks ago...Got busy with work & such, so my outings have slacked a bit.}

My way of thinking on things that may concern you as it appears this subject does:

If you think something is a bad idea for you & your family regarding health; then do not do/use it. No matter what it may be... "Better safe than sorry", is what some say.
:)

As far as getting cans without the liners. I get larger cans from friends who work in the restaurant industry. I actually have a bag of #10 cans(coffee can size) out in the garage. If you cannot locate any unlined cans, particularly in that size. Let me know & I will send some to you, if the ones I have are unlined. (I think most are not lined).. I can also ask some of those friends if they have any unlined in other sizes. I live in S.E. Mn., so I could prolly get them to ya quick. Let me know, if ya want.

I only use tin cans on short lil trips though. Although sometimes I will use my blue enamel cup, or a canteen cup. On longer trips I use "store-bought type" cookware almost exclusively.

interesting topic.

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
I wouldn't use lined cans that are going to be heated. "Plastic" and fire don't mix.
As far as I know, the only cans that are lined these days are those used for acidic foods. Tomato products, citric fruit juices, etc.

With that in mind, check a few products in small cans, like pork n' beans, etc.  Once you find a couple products that don't have liners in the small version, you're pretty safe buying the #10 tins for use in cooking.
Nothing wrong with a tin can billy, they just don't last very long.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »
OP. I don't remember the cans I have been using are lined or not. "Mini ravoili" & the like.. I do know that there was no melted plastic as Duke & I ate right out of the can. I'd think I would have noticed right off.. That is what I was meaning about "newer" cans.
Dunno??Got me curious now though...

Gonna have to open one later & see. Might just have to go out in the sticks to do it too...LOL
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:13:33 AM »
Okay, "plastic" may have been misleading.
I've used lined cans for melting paraffin, or tallow. The lining just sort of "vaporized". It doesn't melt into a glob, or anything like that.
But if it vaporizes/oxidizes I'm going to assume it could contaminate any contents in the can, and I personally  don't want to ingest it.
I've read that you can burn out a can first to remove this coating, but I'm not inclined to do it when unlined cans are available.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:21:30 AM »
I wasn't taking issue. I am truly curious, as I didn't notice a thing. But i certainly don't want to be eating something like the liner. Geeez, I been heating food right in the can since I was a kid...
Never knew there was a trouble with dong it. heck, we even did it with C-rat cans hen I was in the Corps, before MREs & LRRP meals ever came out.

Maybe that explains a lot about how I think....The liners dd it to me...
;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:30:50 AM »
I wasn't taking issue. I am truly curious, as I didn't notice a thing. But i certainly don't want to be eating something like the liner. Geeez, I been heating food right in the can since I was a kid...
Never knew there was a trouble with dong it. heck, we even did it with C-rat cans hen I was in the Corps, before MREs & LRRP meals ever came out.
Maybe that explains a lot about how I think....The liners dd it to me...
 ;)

ROFLAO! I dunno.... But this lining crap has been fairly new, relatively speaking.  Never had to worry about it when I was a kid, either. I can't remember the first time I ever saw one, but I'm guessing within the past 20 years only.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:16:21 AM »
I wouldnt use the lined cans.    If it helps any, I just opened up a store name can of peaches and this can was not lined. 

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 06:35:51 AM »
OK... Confession time... I forgot that I will OFTEN heat the product in the can provided I don't 'see' a liner in it. Sorry. I guess that counts. :-\

Do I hafta change my vote? ???

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
thanks for the replies folks. The question came about as I opened and used a Bush's griling beans can this past weekend. I was thinking it would be a perfect size for backpacking as a billy and then as I emptied it I found the liner. I'm not in "need" of any cans, I was just pondering is all. Thanks for the offer though MN
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:22:12 AM »
Sure... Just trying to help if ya had the need. Coffee cans & that size can (#10) are getting harder to find it seems as many makers are going to full plastics...That's why i been saving the metal ones.

Funny thought....Now this topic is gong to have me looking in all of the cans I open, to see if they are lined.. LOL

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »
I would avoid cooking in lined cans to avoid potential contamination, besides I have an over abundance of camping cookware and I need to take them out occasionally to justify their existence.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
I Would use it after a little work.
 Next time you make a fire transfer some of it to the can and feed it slowly but keep a good fire going in it for an hour. Let it die out and cool down. Dump the ashes wire brush the inside to remove any of the remaining liner. Spray it inside  & out with pam and and hang it over the fire to season it. When it quits smoking allow it to cool and enjoy your new Billy can.
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:05 AM »
I've done a lot of research on this and some experimentation.

THere is only one manufacturer in this country who does not use BPA and other chemicals to line their cans and that is Eden Foods.  EVERYONE else lines their cans with some cocktail.  THe white plastic I just rip out and then burn it out.  I've gone to using those cans that have the stamped bottom for easy stacking.  No seam to bubble unknown sealing substances into my food. 

Reheating food in the can is kind of an either-way thing for me.  Most studies say that about 90% of the chemicals from the clear linings is leached into the food during the canning process, so it's already bad to eat in my opinion.

Here's some of my stuff:

This shows the bottoms of the cans I was talking about.

A side-open can opener helps with plastic-lined cans.  Sometimes, on smaller cans, the plastic is not attached to the sides of the can very well, but is pinched in the seams.  I have a larger #10 can where it is a spray-on coating.  It's going to be a stove, so I'm not concerned about it.
http://www.target.com/p/zyliss-safe-edge-can-opener/-/A-11345219?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|11345219&CPNG=kitchen&ci_sku=11345219&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

To be totally honest with you, forget the hobo can and drop 15 bucks on a Stanley cook kit.  I did and have not looked back.  It's a great piece of kit, it's cheap in cost but robust in construction, you get a large can sized pot/cup with a lid and folding handle in stainless steel and two plastic insulated cups that nest inside.  I keep matches, cocoa powder, tea, a couple paper towels and a MRE wad of toilet paper and a few sani-naps in there as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-Stainless-Steel-24-Ounce/dp/B005188T90
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »
^See?!? I knew someone would weigh in with some science!

I'm 100% with Gryphon on this one. 

However, like I said, I do often heat the stuff right in the tin, though - almost always beans, veggies or taters - to go with my grilled meat.  But I've also been moving away from using a lot of canned goods, even at home, so this is becoming less of an issue for me.

We used to use an big ol' can and a coat hanger bail for an expedient billy, which we would then often leave (hanging upside down in a handy tree) at the site for future boil ups.  I've often wondered if those billies served anyone else... maybe someone in a hard way was happy to see it, used it, and left it again for the next guy...

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »

Reheating food in the can is kind of an either-way thing for me.  Most studies say that about 90% of the chemicals from the clear linings is leached into the food during the canning process, so it's already bad to eat in my opinion.
+1 on this!

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »

+1 on this!

probably true of all lined cans if you think about it.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »
  While I understand the need to be frugal in choosing your gear,  in the past I have used recycled food cans as billy  pots,  but not the lined ones,  in this day and age of "the ony thing that counts is the bottom line mentality of the business world",  and the rush to use newer and sometimes untested technology to save or cut costs,  I think with the prices of stainless steel light weight campware being so affordable,  it's not worth not investing in a decent minimalist cook kit and avoid the coating issue all together.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »
Here is a quickie comparison for y'all:

Soup can vs Stanley kit.  I paid 12 bucks for mine on sale at Target.  Walfart has them for 16 bucks.  About two packs of smokes or a case of cheap brewski, and it's soooo much better for ya!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 03:29:32 PM »
Here is a quickie comparison for y'all:

Soup can vs Stanley kit.  I paid 12 bucks for mine on sale at Target.  Walfart has them for 16 bucks.  About two packs of smokes or a case of cheap brewski, and it's soooo much better for ya!

That's what I'm talking about,  a couple of friends and I were at Kittery Trading Post in Maine a couple of weeks ago,  there were all manner of inexpensive quality backpacking cook kits,  my friends bought a name brand stainless steel pot with a tight fitting lid and folding/locking handle,  the bottom is a medium sized (4 cup) pot with the folding handle,  the lid is about one inch deep and makes a handy skillet or plate,  the handle folds over the top and locks in the center by twisting the lid lifter,  the cost was $15.95.

You just can't beat that with a soup can and bailing wire.

But if you really have a need for that kind of Hobo Billy Pot,  B&M Brand Brown Bread cans are unlined,  just the right size,  thick skined,  the Brown Bread is great, and the pot and the Bread are just $2.95 at your local Super Market.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:35:48 PM by Moe M. »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »
Not sure any of this is about economics.
Making stuff out of re-purposed items seems within the 'bushcraft' philosophy, IMO. In another thread we're talking about making fry pans out of hubcaps and old plow disks.  :P I'm sure Wally World has a very nice fry pan for about a buck-4-ninety-eight.
We're talkin' crafting stuff for the bush, and whether it's safe, right?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »

That was my take on this topic...
 But , the topic is "flowing", so I guess it is "Let 'er buck".
 ;)

Besdes. I think Angerland, the O.P. of this topic , has perhaps dealt with Mr. Wilderbeast on a GI mess kit, like Moe & I have.
 ;)

I just wanted one for nostalgic sakes, & the other to give to the mssus. Hopefully to get her back out in the sticks with me.... Rollin in the clover, ya know... Hmmm gettin a ll too nostalgic perhaps...LOL

Back to tin cans... Reminds me I gotta open up another ravioli, or the like.... & see how much I have poisoned Dukes & my systems.
 ;)

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »
I'm all for making stuff.  But times change and the materials to make stuff to serve a purpose where an existing product is not directly comparable (financially as well as performance-wise) is not always the best choice.

George Sears (Nessmuk) hired out his blades to be made.  He discussed where to buy materials to make shelters and such.  In this day and age, while making hobo pots is fun, we can get pots already made that fit the need and are made from better materials. 

With the concerns of chemical residue inside the cans, I have moved the Making focus of my play-time from pots to stoves.  Finding twig burners that nest over my pot and work how I want it to is not something I can go buy off the shelf and there is no safety concern either.  Pre-made stoves do exist but are out of my price range.

It's all relative.  Hobo pots have their uses.  My food is not one of them.  Heck, even Nessmuk (Sears) bought his cookware:
"I get a skillful tinsmith to make one dish as follows: Six inches on bottom, 6? inches on top, side 2 inches high. The bottom is of the heaviest tin procurable, the sides of lighter tin, and seamed to be water-tight without solder. The top simply turned, without wire. The second dish to be made the same, but small enough to nest in the first, and also to fit into it when inverted as a cover. Two other dishes made from common pressed tinware, with the tops cut off and turned, also without wire. They are fitted so that they all nest, taking no more room than the largest dish alone, and each of the three smaller dishes makes [Pg 10] a perfect cover for the next larger. The other piece is a tin camp-kettle, also of the heaviest tin, and seamed water-tight. It holds two quarts, and the other dishes nest in it perfectly, so that when packed the whole takes just as much room as the kettle alone. I should mention that the strong ears are set below the rim of the kettle, and the bale falls outside, so, as none of the dishes have any handle, there are no aggravating "stickouts" to wear and abrade. The snug affair weighs, all told, two pounds. I have met parties in the North Woods whose one frying pan weighed more?with its handle three feet long. How ever did they get through the brush with such a culinary terror?"
(Sears, G.W., Woodcraft and Camping, page 10.  Linked from Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/34607/34607-h/34607-h.htm)

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »
The above post is not meant to be quarrelsome or argumentative.  Just explaining why I think like I do on the subject.  So relax and enjoy! :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 10:36:35 AM »
Thanks for the addendum to your previous post, Gryphon.......I was gettin' steamed :pissed:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »
....  In this day and age, while making hobo pots is fun, we can get pots already made that fit the need and are made from better materials. 
My point exactly. And if it can be deemed safe, there ya go.
I have plenty of cookware that's not re-purposed. But I have to commiserate with anyone who finds boiling their soup in a hobo pot nostalgic.
Nostalgia has its charm. When I heat some water up in the coals in my #10 can and clothes hanger bail, I'm not thinking about how much money I saved making a billy. I'm transported back to 1952 when I prepared a meal in the woods behind my grandparents' cabin at age 12, "camping" solo.  That tin can billy is not a budget item...it's a Time Machine.  ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »
....  In this day and age, while making hobo pots is fun, we can get pots already made that fit the need and are made from better materials. 

Nostalgia has its charm. When I heat some water up in the coals in my #10 can and clothes hanger bail, I'm not thinking about how much money I saved making a billy. I'm transported back to.....
when I prepared a meal in the woods ,at age 12, "camping" solo.  That tin can billy is not a budget item...it's a Time Machine. ;)
{ removed a few words from the quote, but the theme remains the same..... cuz I an't as old as dirt, like some folks.. ;) }

Gotta put a "Hell Yeah!" on that one..
 :thumbsup:

:D
But don't forget...I been eating linings as a side dish for years... & not even knowng it...

so sometimes I might get a lil , "overboard",  in my enthusiasm...
 ;)

or maybe"UnderLINING" too much...
LMAO

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »
My point exactly. And if it can be deemed safe, there ya go.
I have plenty of cookware that's not re-purposed. But I have to commiserate with anyone who finds boiling their soup in a hobo pot nostalgic.
Nostalgia has its charm. When I heat some water up in the coals in my #10 can and clothes hanger bail, I'm not thinking about how much money I saved making a billy. I'm transported back to 1952 when I prepared a meal in the woods behind my grandparents' cabin at age 12, "camping" solo.  That tin can billy is not a budget item...it's a Time Machine.  ;)
Nice!

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »
Just so folks know why I'm vocal on this and seem afraid of the chemicals....I am.  I lost a year and a half and a lot of my health to cancer.  I don't mess with that stuff any more.  Scares the heebies outta me.  Chemotherapy SUCKS big-time and pretty much ended my hiking and deep-woods outings due the the health problems that came on during and after the treatments.  So sorry, don't mean to be a kill-joy with the subject.

I can sure understand the melancholy of simple things like that.

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »
wow looks like I really opened a can of beans here!  As has been stated by others, sure I know I can go out and buy a pot that will work perfectly and I will at some point too. I'm not really hurting on camp cookware right now, though I am searching the thrift shops for a nice small cast iron skillet.

The wife and I have 3 young kiddos. Between the 5 of us we eat a lot sometimes we all eat 3 meals a day! Anyway I see all these big cns of beans going into recyclingand just thought it would be neat to make a pot out of one and show the kids, take it out for an afternoon hike and what not.

Gryphon, no worries on your reaction. You have an opinion like everyone else and I want to hear it just as much as everyone else. I understand completley about your cancer concerns.  I just lost a high school friend ( he was 40) to mouth cancer in May. He had it beat 2 other times but it came back and took him this last time.  Hate to be a downer but he started dipping at 12 and did it every day until the cancer was first found in his lower jaw.

ok, back to bean cans!!!!

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
Billy can fodder:  Okra and tomatoes.

1 cup chopped okra (fresh or frozen)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 medium onion, diced
Optional: 1 or 2 diced fresh jalapenos or chile of choice
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
salt, pepper, thyme, basil to taste.
Left over bacon is good in there too, but I've never seen bacon leftovers.

Mix in can, cover with foil or lid and set to the side of the fire.  Turn every few minutes and stir occasionally.  Ready when veg is soft.  Good with coal-cooked steak and baked spuds.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 11:07:42 AM »
No, If thats all I had I'd eat cold beans.  I try not to eat anything out of a can ( when alternatives exist ) whenever possible, so I wouldn't be heating up the white can lined beans.

Its kinda a romantic nostalgia of opening up a can of beans and placing them in the fire and diggin in, these days buying a cheap pot made for cooking in is the way to go ( for me ) and yes, I've made lots of hobo stoves as projects for me and the kids in yrs past so I understand the fun in doing so. 8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »
Not sure any of this is about economics.
Making stuff out of re-purposed items seems within the 'bushcraft' philosophy, IMO. In another thread we're talking about making fry pans out of hubcaps and old plow disks.  :P I'm sure Wally World has a very nice fry pan for about a buck-4-ninety-eight.

OK, I've been properly put in my place  :),  so I need to explain,  I'm not opposed to recycling stuff and adapting it to bushcraft needs,  I've done it myself,  in this case I was talking about my personal choice, not trying to tell others to alter theirs.
  I've seen survival shows that used old hub caps for a cooking vessel,  and 'tin' cans for pots,  something that i'd do in a heart beat if I had to,  I also understand that some folks like to go Hobo just for the fun of it,  and I've no problem with it,  my point was that if food cans are questionable as to what they are made of or lined with,  I'd pass and opt to use cookware I'm sure of.

My latest is a Hobo pot that I made out of a B & M Brown Bread can (as I mentioned),  it's unlined,  a good size for one or two people,  I added a bail by riveting a couple of ears to the top of the can with holed in them to accept a steel coat hanger bail,  I open the can with a side cutter can opener which gave me a perfect fitting lid for the can,  I then Japaned the can and seasoned it with veggie oil,  it makes a dandy little pot.
  I've made a Kettle in much the same way as the pot discribed above by using my dremel tool with a cutting wheel to make a one inch slice along near the top of the can, then using a dull coal chizzle or wedge shaped piece of wood to press out a pour spout,  add a bail and you have a nice kettle for heating water,  or making tea and coffee.
  I put lid lifters on my lids be drilling a hole in the end of a short 1/4" bolt,  a 1/4" hole in the center of the lid,  then use a nut and lock washer on the outside of the lid to hold the bolt in place,  once this in done I put a SS key ring through the hole in the bolt, works great.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »

Not a billy pot,  but I was just watching Les Stroud's Survivor Man,  he found what looked like an empty gallon Coleman fuel can,  he cut a good sized hole in the front of the can,  tore off the handle,  and took the cap off the top,  sitting upright it made a great little wood burning stove with the pour spout acting as a chimney.
  Use it for heat and or cooking.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Saw that Les show too (you watching the marathon today too? ~LOL~)  Nice use of a square can.

I'd love to try some of that Brown Bread someday.  It makes sense that those cans would be a better choice.  Sounds like about the right size too.

I've done a number of can stoves.  Found some that look galvanized.  I burn those out in a fire before I mess with them to be sure.  We almost lost a welder on board ship once...he was welding galvanized without a breather.  Bad juju there.  Burnt his lungs pretty bad.  Not had any problems with the big #10 cans.  Seems peaches and chilies have the worst plastic linings. 

Wonder if we should put together kind of a mini-database of what brands of what foods make the best cans (no plastic, stamped bottoms, right size, etc.?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »
Saw that Les show too (you watching the marathon today too? ~LOL~)  Nice use of a square can.

I'd love to try some of that Brown Bread someday.  It makes sense that those cans would be a better choice.  Sounds like about the right size too.

I've done a number of can stoves.  Found some that look galvanized.  I burn those out in a fire before I mess with them to be sure.  We almost lost a welder on board ship once...he was welding galvanized without a breather.  Bad juju there.  Burnt his lungs pretty bad.  Not had any problems with the big #10 cans.  Seems peaches and chilies have the worst plastic linings. 

Wonder if we should put together kind of a mini-database of what brands of what foods make the best cans (no plastic, stamped bottoms, right size, etc.?

Some folks tell me that they can't get Brown Bread locally,  is that the case with you or have you just never looked for it ?

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
Not seen it since I was a kid.  Dad loved it.  I understand it can be found online.  One of these days.

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 08:56:04 PM »
I havent yet seen bread in a can anywhere near me. I live in Minnesota

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 05:27:13 AM »
Not seen it since I was a kid.  Dad loved it.  I understand it can be found online.  One of these days.

PM me your address,  next time I pick some up I'll send you a can along with an extra side cut lid.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 08:49:52 AM »
Coolness bro!  Thank you!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 02:47:04 PM »
I havent yet seen bread in a can anywhere near me. I live in Minnesota

I'm pretty sure you can get it in Minnesota,  look in the Super Market aisle with the Baked Beans,  B & M Brand, looka just like a large Can of Baked Beans but is Marked NE styled Brown Bread.