Author Topic: boot disk  (Read 9670 times)

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
boot disk
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Having problems with my computer....again.. ..
I'm getting the Blue Screen (unable to load windows blah blah blah).
My question is this: My son has an identical computer. If I make a boot disk on his computer, will it work on mine?
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
Re: boot disk
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:22:36 AM »
Should work just fine.

Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »
I wonder if you could change the boot order in the BIOS and boot from a USB drive...?

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »
as long as his mothreboard is relatively new (2005 or later) it should have a boot from usb option. do you have a windows disk? if you have the disk, put it in the drive and boot the computer..

after it boots from the cd rom, it will ask if you want to install or repair windows. hit repair and let it do its thing. 
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
as long as his mothreboard is relatively new (2005 or later) it should have a boot from usb option. do you have a windows disk? if you have the disk, put it in the drive and boot the computer..

after it boots from the cd rom, it will ask if you want to install or repair windows. hit repair and let it do its thing.

Hmm...

That's interesting. What would be really cool is if you could get a class 10 32GB SDHC card and install an operating system on the card and run it from there. I know they make solid state hard drives now, but the SD cards are so cheap, and on my little laptop that runs XP I am only using 17 GB total of the hard drive since I don't store music, video and images on that computer. I think it would be pretty slick to have an OS on an SD card, just for the novelty of it. I'm sure someone has done it before. The solid state drives do degrade over time, as do SD cards but I think you'd have to use the computer for a few years to wear one out.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »

Hmm...

That's interesting. What would be really cool is if you could get a class 10 32GB SDHC card and install an operating system on the card and run it from there. I know they make solid state hard drives now, but the SD cards are so cheap, and on my little laptop that runs XP I am only using 17 GB total of the hard drive since I don't store music, video and images on that computer. I think it would be pretty slick to have an OS on an SD card, just for the novelty of it. I'm sure someone has done it before. The solid state drives do degrade over time, as do SD cards but I think you'd have to use the computer for a few years to wear one out.

Believe it or not the  solid state drives aren't recommended to  be used as a boot drive now yeah I know sounds weird  but have read this from more than one place.

Now it should be alright to use it has to be the same model etc  but you may run into driver issues  getting your stuff to work right. sometimes  even though the same exact model number the hardware can  be a touch different. now if it's an actual  copy of windows  VS a system restore you can use that to boot off the computer.
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »
I have heard of lightweight linux being run from a jumpdrive.  Flash hard drives are not recommended because they need special non-native drivers to run.

A recovery DVD from the same model computer will recover any other computer of that same model.  Some will cross-over to similar models too. 

The cool stuff is an OEM image.  I have a Dell XP Pro image that will load on any Dell PC set up for XP.  It's great.  I have a small library of recovery discs from machines I have repaired.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »

Hmm...

I have 2 8 gb sticks with 2 different linux distros Puppy and Ubuntu respectivly That I carry instead of a lap top I just plug in and reboot on any computer I also have a Mini disc that will allow me to boot on older hardware. Puppy is great because it only occupies 125mb the rest is file storage.
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:35:11 PM »

Hmm...

http://www.tweakandtrick.com/2011/04/boot-usb-windows-xp-7-pen-flash-drive.html
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Red: no, I don't have a windows disk. (gotta see if I can get my hands on one)

Gryph: Thanks. I've got two acer notepads from around the same time (both with XP). So I'll just have to make a boot disk on the one that works, and run it on the one that doesn't and it should be fine?
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »

Gryph: Thanks. I've got two acer notepads from around the same time (both with XP). So I'll just have to make a boot disk on the one that works, and run it on the one that doesn't and it should be fine?

Should be.  It really depends on why it blue screen'ed in the first place.  If it was just a crash or a bad virus, then it should come back fine.  If there is a hardware issue, then it won't fix it.  Try booting into Safemode (turn it off, turn it back on and tap F8 repetedly until you see a black screen asking what you want to boot into.  Choose just plain "Safe Mode".)  Once in there...if it boots...you can look around and even copy your data off (usually).  If it crashes there too, then run the disc and see how it goes.  If you weren't like a freeking half a world away, I'd come fix it for you.  Heck, fly me over and back and I'll come fix it for you!

Good luck and let me know if you need help or come up with questions.  Email me if you need...I check that more than I do the forum.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:12:22 PM »

i assume that windows where you are and windows where i am are different, yes? if they arent, i can probably get you a bootable disc in the mail... if you think it will work ;)

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »
Red, it may or may not be.  I ~think~ Euro Windows is the same as North America, but I am not sure.  I know Japan, Middle East and some other Asian market packages are different for sure.  I am told it will work, but I have not tried it myself.

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »
Thanks again guys.
Gryph: I've tried starting it in 3 different safe modes. still nothing. Gonna go with the boot disk (as soon as I 1) get an empty disk, and 2) figure out how to make a boot disk... :D )

Red: Thanks for the offer. :)

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »
See if it has a recovery partition (your son's computer).  If it does, there should be a utility to burn recovery discs under Start>Programs.

Let me know what the model number is and I can try to find out if it does.

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »
An update:
I can't for the life of me find out how to make a bloody bootable cd... Or, one that doesn't renistall windows instead of just fixing it. :(

So.... Have any of you an original win xp (home edition) cd I could borrow?  :-[

Offline JustJoel

• Whetstone +
    • Smoke in the Cedars
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »
...Or, one that doesn't renistall windows instead of just fixing it. :(

Are you able to get an installation running on your PC from a disk?  If so, the process I have use previously goes like this...  Begin the install process.  You should let it run to the place where it says it finds an existing installation and then use the repair option for the current install.  Depending on the driver set / devices you have running you may need to reload drivers and reconfigure.

If I read that wrong and you can't get the install going and nobody else has one handy, let me know.  I know a few folks with lots of assorted stuff laying in the desk drawers.  I'll see if I can run one down for you.  Home edition will be pretty tough to come by but we'll give it a shot.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
Have any of you an original win xp (home edition) cd I could borrow?  :-[

Might be able to help ya with this... I will look.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »
Thanks guys :)

JustJoel: I'm looking for a cd that does what you say. I only have an Acer recovery cd, and that thing does a complete factory reset (wipes the c: drive)

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »
Oh bro, that should work.  It should give you the option to do a repair without wiping the data.  If you have that disk, disregard my PM.

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
Gryph: The only choice I get with the recovery disk I have is to do a complete factory reinstall, so that's a no-go. :(

I'm gonna have to hunt down an original winxp home edition cd...

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 07:01:02 PM »
Bummer.  If you weren't so far away, I'd say just let me snag that HDD and I'd pull your stuff off for you, but...yeah...kinda aways off.

Offline JustJoel

• Whetstone +
    • Smoke in the Cedars
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
Thanks guys :)

JustJoel: I'm looking for a cd that does what you say. I only have an Acer recovery cd, and that thing does a complete factory reset (wipes the c: drive)

Dude, I'm sorry.  I checked with every nerd friend I have and even the one guy I know who works for MS and all were a no go on getting a copy of this.  Sorry I misunderstood which disk you had.  If you can use it, I have a spare copy of XP Pro on bootable CD.  You're welcome to try it.  I'm afriad all it would do is fire up the install too.  I'll keep my eyes open.  Sorry again about the disk.  I thought sure someone who have one.

-JP

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
Usually it will give you the option of reformatting your partition (destructive recovery) or simply over-writing your installation.  With the over-write option the installer will take your files and save them in a folder called windows.old or similar name. 

Worst-case, what would the cost be to ship the drive over and ship it back?  I can recover the files for kicks.  It would be cheaper (maybe faster?) to pick up one of these: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329300&CatId=3770

It will allow you to connect your HDD to a working pc and browse in to copy off your files.  Then you can charge your friends and co-workers to save their precious pics.  It even comes with directions!  Works great.  Same one I use.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:16:06 PM by Gryphon »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »
How about this...

Couldnt he just install windows on an external drive, then copy his data from the c drive? Then he could just change the boot order back to drive c and install windows on it using the recovery disk since he would have a copy on the external drive now.

Thoughts?

Offline jontok

• Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »
Thanks fr all the help so far guys.

PW: I was kinda wondering the same (only using linux), then running iobit system care when I get access to the files on the computer.  Don't know if it'll work, but it has a windows registry fix option.