Author Topic: Damp Day In The Woods - Pics  (Read 6975 times)

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
Damp Day In The Woods - Pics
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »
Enjoyed a day up the woods with the two boys again today, was a bit damp  to start with and we had a few light showers through the day, but  nothing too bad, we set a tarp up for shelter just in case it decide to  rain - but it wasnt needed in the end.

Anyways, in line with our philosophy of each taking it turn to light the  fire and by using a different method on each trip, it fell to youngest  today to get the fire going, today's method was PJ Cotton balls and a  ferro rod.

couple of quick strikes and we are away, i got the boys to prep all of the kindling & fuel wood as well.

once  the fire was set, i had a coffee and then went for a wander round "the  estate" so to speak, found a couple of nice Birch Polypores, one of them pictured below

and then i saw something flapping around on a hazel branch, so i went over to investigate

This is what i found

Yes, we are gong to send it back, with a few photo's of the area and im going to put a few things in there that we have made  from, and in these woods, probably a spoon and a small bag of the  charcoal we made the other day, something tangible that the kids  can relate  to

After finding the tag, we figured it was time for lunch, after which i went for a wander in the other direction,  and purely by chance i looked down a rabbit hole and saw a cylinder  that was far too smooth to be a piece of wood, so i bent down and picked  up this

to give you an idea of size

It's  in fair nick and has two sets on markings on it, one set says WII the  other set K41 or K47, cant quite make it out, now we know these woods  were used during the war by the Canadians as there are still some of the  old slit trenches around as well as all manner of other things, like  concrete bases and big lumps of iron sticking up out of the ground,  anyway, measuring the top of the case the shell diameter was half an  inch, most probably anti aircraft or something like that id guess, ive sent off  pictures, dimensions & markings to a chap i know who is the bees  knees when it comes to identifying shells & shell cases, so will see  what he has to say.

Back to the woods, during the afternoon the  boys saw something move in the leaf litter, turns out it was a mouse,  but it fascinated them to watch it go back and forth.

apart  from the finds, we spent time just chilling out, watching the bird  life, did a bit of carving but most of all, had fun and lots of it, how  could you not have fun in a place like this

We let the fire burn down to Ash

then  extinguished it with water, cleaned the site (fire & general) up  and headed home, having a day off tomorrow but will be back out and  about again on Sunday in some different woods

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
Re: Damp Day In The Woods - Pics
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
Ive found out this evening that the shell case is .55 Cal and most probably from an Enfield Anti Armour (Tank) rifle

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:37:48 PM »
Neat finding that balloon tag, Kep! I always wanted to find a message in a bottle or something when I was a kid. I'm sure the school kids will like to see that someone found their tag. Will be interesting to see what the shell came from as well.

Whoops! I see you solved that mystery.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
Nice outing.  Beautiful looking woods!
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »
That looks like a lovely time, Kep. So great your boys are interested in it as well. Must be a great thing to share. :)
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »
That looks like a lovely time, Kep. So great your boys are interested in it as well. Must be a great thing to share. :)

That it is, Eldest evens helps me at shows and demo's these days, last year we did a local show where i was demoing fire by friction and eldest demo's the ferro rod and flint & steel, showed a few adults up as well with his knowledge, youngest is getting there, but hey he's only 12, he has the groundings of a good knowledge, they are like chalk & cheese, eldest we call Mini Mears and youngest is Mini Grylls, it's great having two totally different views on how to do things, hell, even i learn from the boys
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:07:39 PM by Kep »

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
That's so great. :)
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »
oops double post

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
Glad to hear the boys like being outdoors and trying different methods of fire.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »
I've missed your posts, Kep.  It's good to see them again.  Before I saw your update, I thought that shell case might have come from an aircraft during the blitz.  The balloon tag was a neat find, and it was good of you to send some local goodies back with it.  I wonder what else you'll find out there next time.  Thanks for taking us along.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 12:20:35 AM »
Goodness your boys have grown.  Looks like you men have a good time out there in the woods.  Whatcha carving on?

Did you look up the idea behind the Balloons?    I did.. heres a link.  I was curious to know if the school kept an online journal of found balloons.   Some do here in the States.   

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Balloons-project-flying-start/story-14388786-detail/story.html

WoodsWoman

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 02:21:45 AM »
Glad to hear the boys like being outdoors and trying different methods of fire.

They love it, especially eldest, he's a real young woodsman, youngest is not far behind either

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 02:23:07 AM »
I've missed your posts, Kep.  It's good to see them again.  Before I saw your update, I thought that shell case might have come from an aircraft during the blitz.  The balloon tag was a neat find, and it was good of you to send some local goodies back with it.  I wonder what else you'll find out there next time.  Thanks for taking us along.

Cheers mate, there's all sorts of stuff in those woods, if you specifically look for it you will never find it though, you have to rely on pure chance, like the casing yesterday

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 02:26:58 AM »
Goodness your boys have grown.  Looks like you men have a good time out there in the woods.  Whatcha carving on?

Did you look up the idea behind the Balloons?    I did.. heres a link.  I was curious to know if the school kept an online journal of found balloons.   Some do here in the States.   

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Balloons-project-flying-start/story-14388786-detail/story.html

WoodsWoman

Scary isnt it, eldest is now nicking my clothes and he is only 14, play fight and rough and tumbles tend to hurt now :)

I didn't have time last evening to research the school and the project idea properly, thanks for the link, wonder which of the balloons in the picture is the one i found?

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 05:21:44 AM »
That my friend was a cool outing! Thanks for posting it for us to share. WOW.
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »
very cool stuff kep! that balloon tag is a pretty cool idea :) glad you lads had a good time together :)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 07:20:48 AM »
Nice job getting out.  I like that knife.  Thanks for sharing
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Nelson

• Whetstone +
  • aka Bill510c
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 07:28:32 AM »
Looks like a truly wonderful day to me. My favorite outing is the one spent with my children. Thank you for letting us enjoy it with you.
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing the outing. I'm always impressed how much like the American Midwest those woods look.  I can tell you cherish your times with the boys. They sure grow up fast!
"I'm outdoors, you know." George Thorogood.
Member #94!