Author Topic: Tripod fix, and a review of sorts.  (Read 1786 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Tripod fix, and a review of sorts.
« on: February 17, 2012, 04:06:51 PM »
So a few years ago I bought a spotting scope from a gun store. They were selling it as a package deal with a tripod. The scope was a Bushnell, but the tripod was made by Vanguard. At the time I'd never heard of Vaguard, but I thought the tripod itself was pretty nice. It came with a nice nylon carry bag, and a removable car window mount head.

The tripod itself just has a flat protrusion on top to allow the head to clamp on. Since the head can be clamped onto a car window as well, it makes for a nice, versatile package. It's not suitable for heavy SLR cameras but for most bridge cameras. small video cameras and point and shoot cameras it is a really nice tripod.

However, a few weeks ago I had it propped up in the bag and it slid down and hit the floor "just so" and it broke the latch than holds the mounting plate to the head.

So, I was looking for a new tripod, and to replace the one I had with a new Vanguard tripod, the price was as much as I paid a few years ago for the whole package including the Spotting Scope!

I poked around a little more and found a car window mount "tripod" sold as a stand-alone unit that had good reviews on Amazon, and was only $15.00

This new little head is quite a bit smaller, doesn't have a separate mounting plate (which is actually something I prefer), and uses the handle to tighten both the horizontal and vertical axis of the head. It's made of aluminum, rather than plastic.

Here it is mounted to the tripod.

I already like it more than the old head. This one is made by another company I've never heard of, "Alpen". but it seems to be a solid piece of equipment, and more than adequate as a replacement for the broken Vanguard head. The cool thing is I really like the Vanguard tripod itself, and this will allow me to keep using it. And, it can also clamp to a car window just as the other head could.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Re: Tripod fix, and a review of sorts.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »
That's really cool PW!  Great way to reuse one product and yet expand on the newer one as well!!  Is it sturdy enough now for the larger camera?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »
I still wouldn't trust it with a big zoom lens but perhaps a lighter SLR with a fixed 50mm lens. I'm just happy to have saved a bit and wrung out some more useful life from it.

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
Looks pretty good. Has anyone here used one of the Gorilla whatchamacallits? They are supposed to be pretty good.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 10:10:40 PM »
I have one of the smaller gorilla pods. I used it to film a couple of youtube videos last spring wrapped around some branches. It's great if you have a conveniently placed tree or rock, but if not you'll need to make a tripod out of sticks to add it to.

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
PW did the window mount tripod come with that "thing" in the second picture from the top that is a vertical "plate" that you put on the old tripod and then put the window mount on that "thing"?  Hope that makes sense.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
PW did the window mount tripod come with that "thing" in the second picture from the top that is a vertical "plate" that you put on the old tripod and then put the window mount on that "thing"?  Hope that makes sense.

The original tripod came as a 2 piece arrangement. there are the tripod "legs" that have a flat vertical plate sticking up, then there was a tripod "head" that was designed to clamp onto that plate, or a car window.  Since the "head" portion of it broke, I bought a new window mount head from a different manufacturer that was much cheaper. As it was designed to clamp on a window, it also fit the old tripod legs, allowing me to save a bit of money and salvage a perfectly good piece of gear. :)