Author Topic: Sycamore Spoons  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
Sycamore Spoons
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »
 Three spoons from one section of Sycamore branch, one of those rare occasions where splitting the branch, bought three almost perfect blanks, unusual for Sycamore, as it doesn't normally split that well.

The spoons are laid out in the order they came from the branch, the lowest being the bottom and the top, well, being the top section, the bottom one for Sycamore also has some wild grain patterns in it caused by compression of the wood by gravity over many years of growth.

I also took one of the Sycamore spoons i made above and added a little bit of personalisation to it with my cheap as chips Pyrograph pen, it's a very simple design, but i think it's worked out ok and it's certainly distinctive.

The 'ME' at the top of the handle is not me being funny, they are in fact my initials, used to get me into all sorts of trouble at School when the teacher said initial your work and i used to write 'ME' ;)

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
  • Jontok Bushy Approved 7-30-12
Re: Sycamore Spoons
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »
Excellent as usual Kep! 

I like carving sycamore but I have not found any with that kind of character like the one spoon.  I have some un-split lengths laying out back.  They have been there a couple years.  Maybe I should go open one up....
Why kill them with kindness when you can use and axe? - found on Facebook

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »
Those are just lovely  dig the  pryography  on them
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
nice spoons Kep. Love the grain on the bottom one in the first pic.
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me