Author Topic: 3 strand braid making  (Read 9503 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
3 strand braid making
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
I'm planning on making a 3 strand braid ridgeline out of paracord for my tarp shelter.  Correct me if I am wrong but the starting length of the 3 cords should be about 3x the end length I am looking for? For example if I want a 25' ridgeline I want 3 strands of about 75' of cord?
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: 3 strand braid making
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Hmm... good question!

I think you are correct, but I'm not 100% sure on the required starting length.

I prefer a 4 strand round braid myself, but it uses up more cordage. It is stronger, however, and eye splices come out really nice on a 4 strand braid. It's also a bit more complex to braid. I've made a keychain or two and a couple of dog leashes with the 4 strand braid and I really like how they came out.

You could always test with a few shorter pieces. Cut three 2 foot lengths and then braid them and measure the finished length and that should give you a ballpark figure. I know it doesn't sound appealing to "waste" 6 feet of cord, but I'm sure you can find all kinds of uses for the shorter finished braid.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
I believe the ratio is close to what you stated Angerland. I made Duke a 3 strand paracord "short leash" for when we meet folks out in the woods a few months back & I remembered to make the 3 pieces longer by about 2/3rds more than what I had planned to end up with. I think I started out with 6 ft lengths & the finished (mostly) leash is about 2 ft long .( has loops at the ends, so it would likely be a bit shorter than 2 ft though.)  I dd not use a tight braid either though, & that would make a difference on finished length too. Ya may want to keep that in mind... I don't know if I helped ya at all, but I tried.
 ;)

G'Luck!
 :)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Confluence

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »
Ill have to get mine out and measure to accurate, but a 100 foot hank/package cut into thirds with double eye loops ended up about 24 feet in length for me. 

YMOS, BST

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:44:33 PM »
Para cord stretches and it will shrink it it gets wet. Maybe poly or amsteel is better for the ridge line...

http://www.reddenmarine.com/samson-rope-amsteel-blue-3-16-foot-blue.html
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 05:07:36 AM »
I'd use 1/8 amsteel myself for a ridgeline. Its stronger than a 3 strand paracord braid, lighter, less (much less) stretch, easy to splice a loop in and the cost difference is negligible since you don't have to triple it up.

1/8 is way overkill for a ridgeline (as is IMO a 3 strand paracord braid) but is easier to tie/untie than a thinner line.

It's also much lighter and packs much smaller than a 3 strand paracord line of the same length.

I don't see anything particularly bushcrafty about using one synthetic cord over another, so why not go with a superior product for that particular application.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »
FWIW, I find it helpful to use at least one strand of raw/unfinished fiber cord (like sisal) in the weave.

The rough surface acts like a drip line and keeps the water from running straight down the line and creating a Chinese water torture under your tarp.

I've also used white line (or any other hi-vis) in the weave, just to keep from garotting myself in the middle of the night when I get in/out of shelter.

The single strand of 550 has more than enough holding strength for a ridgeline & the other two rope types in the braid add some functionality;

If you double the strands around a shackle  or eye & weave in pairs, you get a 6-strand finished product that will hold just about anything you need it to.

A 20' hank of the finished prduct doesn't take up any more room than a standard 3-strand braid with the same (uniform) three rope types & has a better loading/rigidity, in addition to the visibility and psuedo-drip-line features (IMHO).

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:30:34 AM by acara »
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 12:23:46 AM »
I don't want to derail the OP here, but I'm seriously wondering what that motivation is to braid 3 strands of cordage together to make a ridge line, rather than using 7/16", 750 pound test poly cord and be done with it? Aesthetics? Accomplishment?  I don't get it......
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:47:40 AM »
Completely valid question ..

For me, it was the fact that I had the cord laying around.

I considered buying the larger cordage, but I couldn't find it anywhere that I could buy by the foot (like you can with chain) & didnt want a 25' or 50' section of the heavier stuff.

The other reason was the tarp clips I had wont accomodate the heavier lines, with the tarp over it.

... and I won't lie; I'm a minor knotwork junkie ..... I'll find any excuse to braid/knot/weave something, irregardless of if I need to or not ...

:D :D :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:56:34 AM by acara »
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
I believe that Angerland( The OP) said he was leaving to trp into the BWCA for a spell yesterday(Sunday). So, it might be sometime before we find out how his project went.
Unless someone wants to take 3 10' pieces, or what-ever length they like, & braid them to help find a ratio.
 ;)

As far as ridgeline goes, in most situations/short trips, for me, I use 1 strand. I use a rope or a lashed pole when the need might arise. Or f I was worred about falling trees/branches, unexpected snowload, etc..
 As far as having "drip" problems, a short forked stick hung over the tarp at both ends is a field expedient way of slowing them. Another way to almost completely stop them, is to tie a short piece of cordage to the ridge line just outside the tarp ends using a prussic knot, or for that matter almost any cinching knot will do. Works for me anyway.
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
Hey all, back from my trip. I didn't get a chance to finish my ridgeline before I left but since we stayed in a cabin mostly it was not needed.

as for why I wanted to 3 strand braid it:
Been using 550 cord for the past 23years I've been in the Army and National Guard so it's what I know. I know how knots tie with it and I know how much it stretches and shrinks and what happens to it when weather gets it.

Also, I have two 1200' spools that some supply guy was going to toss out when we were packing up to leave Kuwait in May.

but for my ridgeline/guy lines on my 10x10 tarp. I went to an outfitter in Ely on ourtown day and saw a neat cord that had a bit of reflective material woven into it for use as ridge/guy lines, etc...

I'm still getting used to the fact that my bivouac sight doesn't have to blend in and not be seen by "the enemy" when I camp so bear with me as I adjust to things like bright colors and reflective matierials.  ;D
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »
I "prefer"to blend in,myself...Just cuz I like it that way. Also from military background & saw no reason to change. Particularly since it is possible that some folks would like to have some of my stuff, & if I am not around, I want to make it harder for them to find the setup, if I am away from it. Unfortunately, there are still thieves/vandals in the woods that will steal, or ruin things.

I would like to offer a bit of advice in regard to guy lines & not running into them..Particularly in the dark. I simply place logs/chunks of wood under them, so I know that I would have to step over the log, thus it s a reminder that the guy line is there. ( extra wood for fire if necessary also... ;)
For overhead/head level type lines, & sometimes on the slanted ones...I just place some forked branches on them as another reminder that they are there. Or I hang some clothing on them like a clothesline. Either way, these methods have worked well for me. They might help you also.

Looking forward to hearing how your braiding goes.
:D

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »
I don't want to derail the OP here, but I'm seriously wondering what that motivation is to braid 3 strands of cordage together to make a ridge line, rather than using 7/16", 750 pound test poly cord and be done with it? Aesthetics? Accomplishment?  I don't get it......

That's a very valid question. Isn't the polypropylene a bit lighter in weight than nylon anyway? I know they use poly for river rescue rope since it floats and nylon does not.