Author Topic: Pinole  (Read 619 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
Pinole
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »
Just reading a little Kephart and read his section on condensed foods. He seemed to really favor this food. Wondering what anyone here might know about it. How to make it, is it as good as he made it seem as far as an energy "food". 

From what I understand it's more of a drink made from corn meal but I might be mistaken.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline illiteratti

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
Re: Pinole
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »
I'm interested in this myself...I used to get a modern Mexican version of this, but it was sweetened. I could never find just the parched corn powder. I considered cornmeal, but it is not even close to the base powder of the drink mix.

In Los Angeles, I found a lot of stores that carried dried corn for parching, just lightly grease a pan and toast the corn on it, it made a great snack, nothing like popcorn, but it never made corn that looked like it would grind into a powder. Apparently it's still a common snack in the Andes.

I would definitely like to learn to make or find the powdered pinhole so that I can flavor it myself or take it unflavored