Author Topic: Bank line?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
Bank line?
« on: July 05, 2012, 02:56:11 AM »
I know, I know...this is one of those topics that gets bantered around but I just have to ask.....what is it? Or maybe more to the point, what do YOU consider it to be if there is no clear answer?

Braided 30+ test line?
Something even bigger than "fishing line"?

Not trying to start an argument or anything. Everyone has an opinion on this (except me) and I am just looking to hear them and get them out to folks.

If you do use it maybe give us an example of what you use it for.

I'm trying to do a little fishing kit project and I am looking to pick up some. It something I read somewhere and I want to give it a go. Pics of course, to follow.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
Re: Bank line?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:03:26 AM »
Many people consider bank line to be tarred nylon twine, in a couple different sizes.

You can find it here for a fair price (Bass Pro).

http://www.basspro.com/Mariner-Tarred-Twisted-Nylon-Twine/product/100213/51691

You can use it for bank/trot lines or in net-making. I've use it in aiding construction of a dip net.

Some use it as a utility cordage, but I haven't been pleased with the strength of it in usage that is frequent to others (bowdrill string and other "bushcraft" uses).
What's that smell?

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:47:52 AM »
I was never smart enough to know what it (bankline) was, so I've always just used monofillament (fishing line). The mono is small / lightweight and packs up well; so that's what I've always used. I pre-rig my lines/floats and stuff them in an old cigar tube on my pack.

Straight 40lb-test .... maybe a leader if I know there are larger edibles around.

There is a wire leader in my EDC ... for those times when you may not be picky about what your eating, but for general bankline fishing in my area "big enough to break 40# test" = huge Catfish or Gar = "Not-so-yummy"(IMO)..... so I don't use a leader.
Who in their right mind gives a 25 Lb kid a 2 Lb block of chocolate .... damn Grandparents

Offline MnSportsman

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Lean do chosain fein!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:01:22 AM »
I use it for waterfowlng decoy line, but  do carry some in my ALICE. along with some braided fishing line, reg.mono line, paracord & rope. It is just another type of cordage to me.
 :)

I don't use it for tying out my tarps, tent lines & whatnot, like some do. I prefer paracord for that. I just use decoy/bank line for minor cordage uses mostly.
 ;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline mac

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 03:31:00 AM »
i've used it in the past for everything from shelter building, camp kitchen, fishing(when broken down), snares, et al.
very useful kit, and not as bulky a paracord. ;)

see you on the trails...

Offline xj35s

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 04:16:14 AM »
People have talked about this being found at walmart. I live in a very well fished area and none of our stores seem to carry it, Or I don't know what I'm looking for. Can anyone post a picture of the walmart stuff?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »
I got some recently # 24  and # 6 which in itself is very thin, 3 ply braided cordage and i took a section and un-did the braid and the individual sections/strings is the perfect size to use for sewing with an speedystich' type awl. .I've got some 'waxed cordage' used for the sticher but it is expensive so im gonna use single ply #6 tarred bank line at a fraction of what waxed line/artificial sinew costs.

I've seen some videos where some folks are using it for "bow stings' as well, on DIY BOWS instead of DACRON etc. .

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
I'm glad you asked Angerland because I asked in the local hardware store and he hadnt heard of it.  When he went to look in his ordering book he said.. huh.. its the same stuff you'd use in your trolling fishing pole.   I believe he said it was an 80# test line, braided and black and multicolored.    He asked if I wanted him to order some in and I said no... I'm pretty sure we have a spool of that at home. I just didnt put two and two together with the trolling poles. 

The store owner says " sooo..whatcha gonna do with that bank once you catch it?"...   I told him I'd be tieing it up with some fancy knots I'm trying to learn..   :) :) :)

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Bank line?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »
I got some recently # 24  and # 6 which in itself is very thin, 3 ply braided cordage and i took a section and un-did the braid and the individual sections/strings is the perfect size to use for sewing with an speedystich' type awl. .I've got some 'waxed cordage' used for the sticher but it is expensive so im gonna use single ply #6 tarred bank line at a fraction of what waxed line/artificial sinew costs.

I've seen some videos where some folks are using it for "bow stings' as well, on DIY BOWS instead of DACRON etc. .
Good thinking, Bushy.

Tapatalked from my batphone.
Official and First "kanukkrafter" (OK, there's only one of us so far, BUT...)

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »
We always used it for trot lines too.

Walmart has it by the rope in the boating section at the stores by me.  They had two or three grades last time I look, plus tarred and regular.  Right next to it, they had a braided line that was 300' spool, of 300 pound test for like 3.99.  Just found a cheap replacement for paracord where the strength isn't needed...at a huge savings!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Bank line?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »
I got this stuff through a buddy. I don't recall where he got it, but I like it!

Tapatalked from my batphone.
Official and First "kanukkrafter" (OK, there's only one of us so far, BUT...)

Offline Dano

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »
People have talked about this being found at walmart. I live in a very well fished area and none of our stores seem to carry it, Or I don't know what I'm looking for. Can anyone post a picture of the walmart stuff?

Here's one type they have  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Secure-Line-36-Tarred-Twine-Black/17757452

Offline MnSportsman

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Lean do chosain fein!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 02:06:10 AM »
Just an observation, but the first 4 posts in this topic were made back in early July of last year.(2012)

Although that doesn't matter much really... I just thought it was interesting that it came back to life after mac "bumped" it yesterday with his comment. I think that it is great!
 :D

In the interest of the topic though,
 :)  I still use decoy line for the same purpose as many use bank line. But I tend to use it in situations where I don't want to use paracord. I prefer paracord, particularly when it is cold out. Also to untie knots. But there are instances where the bank line can be better. Like using it for things that need a smaller diameter(thickness).Think primitive fishhook, or similar use. Or, for things you make to use that you wouldn't necessarily need to use other heavier duty cordage for, like a cooking tripod,or lashing poles together for a temporary shelter. I think it would not be a good thing to use as a ridgeline for a tarp, as I think the thinness of the bankline lends to the possibility of cutting into the tarp materials. But,I could be wrong... I just don't use it for things like that...To me, it is just "disposable" cordage. Also, I don't like to break down my paracord if I do not have to.
Some folks think it is the "cats meow" for most anything. Personally I think it is just another type of thin cordage. Just like Jute,Sisal,or even baling twine. Only bankline just has a tarred coating, where the others usually do not. Mason's line is also just as useful, as far as I am concerned. For the same kind of needs as the others. Cheap twine cordage...
 :)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline werewolf won

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 06:44:39 AM »
In all my bags I carry a two strand twisted length a parachute cord with a eye splice in one end.  At about 20 feet long it rolls up into a bunch about the size of a tennis ball.  I have used those ready made lines for  everything from lowering my gear down a hole to dragging a deer out of the woods, but for just about all other cordage needs I use a spool of bank type line.

I do fish with mono most often, some flouro, some braid too.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!