Author Topic: Beaded Hatband  (Read 3447 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Beaded Hatband
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:45:51 PM »
Hey guys.. I'm beading my first hatband.    I have a problem of not knowing at what inch mark to stop at.    And I dont have a hat around here to measure around.   

I do plan on putting leather tabs at both ends with a tie.   So its adjustable to length.

Whats your opinion on the best length to stop at?

Anyone have a beaded hatband they'd like to show and tell?    I'd like to know more on if the beads are sewn onto a backing or not?   How is the band attatched to the hat so they dont slide off if the hat is turned upside down for some reason?   

I enjoy the beadwork.. its the finishing it thats got me confused at the moment.

Thanks

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
Re: Beaded Hatband
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
I don't know how to do beadwork. My dad used to do it a lot as a kid. Sold all sorts of it at the State Fair back in the 50s. Sadly, he's going blind so I can't have him teach me...
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:15:56 PM »
Would he know what an average length of a band would be?    I'm at 15 inches and I'd like to know how much further to go.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:33:18 PM »
Don't know much about them never had one myself. I would bet it might be a good idea to give it a backing give a little more strength to it ya know?
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »
Would he know what an average length of a band would be?    I'm at 15 inches and I'd like to know how much further to go.

WW.

He said he never did hat bands, only rings, pendents, belts, pouches, and mocs. Sorry. =\
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
Ok Thanks PPC.      Someday I'm hoping to get into those catagories too.  I really do enjoy the loom beading.   If I cant carve then I head for the loom.

WW.

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »
Take a line wrap it around your head at the widest point about 1/2-3/4 of an inch above your eyebrows. then add an inch to 1 1/2 inch to that length depending on how big you bead diameter is and the thickness of the hat material. I haven't made a beaded hat band but that's what I do for cobra weave hat bands and  bracelets. Hope that helps.
Take it easy,
Red

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »
Hi Wounded Thumb.. I stopped at 19 inches..     and its still on the loom because I'm not sure on what to do with the ends.    I mean.. I have the warp figured out and have wove them back into the project, but when I look online I see a leather triangle at the ends with a hole and a tie inserted for tieing to the hat.     I'm not sure on what glue? to use?  Or if its just stitched...?   

I dunno... 

WW.

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 10:06:44 PM »
I haven't glued any , and wouldn't because the ones I make are meant to be able to be taken apart for the cordage. I would stitch it on, probably only need 4-6 spots with stitches to hold it on. Are you making it for someone else? I wouldn't take it off the loom till you get the hat. I need to dig my loom out I haven't done any of that in like 20 years. You know what might be cool, when you put those leather pieces on you could use a deer antler tip or maybe a little wood spirit to hold them together, I think I'll try that on my next one.
Take it easy,
Red

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »
Mmm.. no I dont have a hat in mind.  I just wanted to try making one.    Thats why I thought if I had those ends on it.. a tie can be adjusted to fit any hat.

Could you explain what you mean by a deer antler tip?   I've got plenty of deer antler around here..   I just cant envision what your talking about. 

Thanks  WT.

WW.

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »
This is what I was thinking, hope this makes sense.
Take it easy,
Red

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 07:28:40 AM »
That would be an idea if you knew the specific size of your hatband.  *nodding*   What would you use to keep the antler from jostling out of the leather holes.  notches of some sort?

WW.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
That would be an idea if you knew the specific size of your hatband.  *nodding*   What would you use to keep the antler from jostling out of the leather holes.  notches of some sort?

WW.

The average size of a soft hat or western styled hat at the base of where it meets the brim is about 22"inches.
  Where you are at 19"inches is about right,  my suggestion is to sew a piece of soft leather folded tab to each end of your hat band (I know you have some  :),)  then put a leather lace loop on one tab,  on the other tie another loop with a piece of antler tip on it.
  Drill a small hole in the center of the antler tip and pass the lace through the hole and then make it loop through the second tab,  that way when you put the hat band on the hat,  the ends of the beaded part will be a couple of inches apart,  then you loop the lace from the first tab around the antler tip to hold it in place,  you'll just have to adjust one of the loops to shorten or lengthen the hat band for a good fit.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 10:36:11 AM »
LOL...   I read your post Moe... looked at the box... looked back at the monitor and had THE  Duh moment...     LOL       I'm on it.  :)

I think I know what your describing so I'll see if I can make it happen over here.. 

Thanks guys.

WW.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
I think 19 to 20" range would be good. I've done a few but really can't say.

Here is one I started but moved on to other projects before I finished.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
~Lao Tzu "Pedicabo Ego Eam"

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »
I would do like Moe said.
Take it easy,
Red

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 11:22:48 AM »
I like that pattern , Hushnel!    You gotta finish that one. :)   And then let me know what you did to finish it.  :)    Via pictures of course.. *grin*

Hushnel,  have you been to this site yet?   I made a loom like the one she uses.  Its really nice to just slide your work down and under as your going.   

http://www.free-beading-patterns.com/   

WW.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »
No, I've never seen that site before, did you check out the heddle beading using a double warp, pretty slick.

I'll get around to the beading again, usually when I have a project that needs it.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
No I havent seen the double warp.   Same site and I just missed it or on another site?

WW.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »
Ok.. that loom will need more explaining for me.   LOL    I'm not getting the concept I dont think.   

And then I clicked on the Whispering Winds link..and then drooled all over that site.   And THEN I found the book dept...  my addiction kicked in.. .NEED books... must have books....

Theres one on beading knife sheaths..  and shows 100 different ones in the book.   Oh I'd love to learn that craft.

I wanted to give you a link to it.. but this is all I get for a link :   http://www.whisperingwind.com/  So if you go there search for "  SKU - 5890-0  Plains Indian Knife Sheaths "

I didnt know such a magazine existed...nor the bookstore.    I'm broke just from 'window' shopping now..

:)   

WW.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
The way the heddle works, like any type of tabby weave, is every other warp thread goes through the hole in the heddle, the wood device, then the other warp thread goes through the slot next to the slat with the hole, when you lift the heddle the warp going through the holes move above the threads in the slot, when you push the heddle down the threads through the hole go below the threads in the slot. This is called a simple tabby weave.

So when beading you place the heddle threads above the stationary warp threads, lay your strung beads down and spaced each bead between two of the stationary warp threads, move the heddle down, reversing the shed, this is what the opening of threads created by the heddle moving up and down and called. With the heddle now down, string your nex course of beads as above then lift the heddle up. This is the purpose of having two warp threads between each bead, as shown in the diagram at that web site. With this type of beading you would want to weave a few threads with out strung beads, to start the weave, before beading.

By stringing the beads, laying them, reversing the heddle, again laying the beads, with each reverse of the heddle and course of beads you are locking each course of beads. It seems easier to me than the way we are doing it now, having to actually string the course of beads twice.

I hope what I wrote makes sense.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 09:25:24 PM »
Hushnel, my grandmother had a huge loom in one of her bedrooms ( loomroom) and I know of what your explaining now.    I understand the motion locking in.    BUT...  on that link you put in... that horse heddle..what moves on that?   Where are the warps woven in?   

And yes... I can see this kind of weaving would go much faster if your not having to putz with spacing each bead across to keep two warps in between..... * nodding*

WW

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 09:43:48 PM »
Then you know the term harness, when you activate the harness it moves the heddles up and down, on a four harness loom you can activate the harness' in various pattern to weave tweeds, herringbone, tartans etc. the device with the horse heads is the harness but instead of having two harnesses this type of weaving is more like an inkle loom, instead of making 1,3,5,7,9 etc. go up via the harness one, throw the shuttle drop harness one, beat, then activate harness two lifting 2,4,6,8,10 repeat, on this type heddle you drop the heddle, in effect lifting the stationary warp thread that are in the slot of the device, actually with this simple type heddle only every other warp thread is threaded through a heddle, the others are stationary but effectively it's like they are lifted because the warp threads threaded through the heddles are dropped to create the tabby shed, by these threads alone going up above the stationary warp then down below the stationary warp it's working like a two harness loom.

And yes... I can see this kind of weaving would go much faster if your not having to putz with spacing each bead across to keep two warps in between

And not having to thread each bead, again, below the warp. Man how many timed did I drop a warp thread, beading above the warp, missing the warp pickup, and not find out until I looked at the bottom of the weave.

You will see what mean in this picture the horse head heddle would replace the plain heddle in the picture.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:56:26 PM by hushnel »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 10:16:07 PM »
Thank you Hushnel.. I know your trying really hard to get this through my thick skull...      So one warp thread is in the slot.. the other is in the center hole.   

I think what I'm missing is where are the front and back thread attatchments?    LIke that tiny one you have shown.. theres a place to roll up your work as your workng..   this is whats missing with the horses isnt it?    The whole loom isnt there....  right?   *wince*

If you know of a shortish youtube on this set up I'm willing to load it in over night to watch. Its GOT to make sense to me soon... lightbulb is getting brighter each post... LOL

WW.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 07:10:01 AM »
I think what I'm missing is where are the front and back thread attatchments?    LIke that tiny one you have shown.. theres a place to roll up your work as your workng..   this is whats missing with the horses isnt it?    The whole loom isnt there....  right?   *wince*

Yes, are you familiar with card weaving? Once this heddle is warped it also acts as a comb, keeping the warp threads aligned. If you wanted to use this type of "riged heddle" without a frame you could but it would be near impossible for beading, you would need the frame. In the following link are various riged heddle looms, one of the available parts are the heddles, you can build your own frame. My beading frame is two wood blocks and two dowel pins one block adjusts, the other anchors the dowels. There are springs on the top of each block that separate the warp. This rigid heddle would work fine with such a frame. You could even use it on an inkle loom.

http://www.woolery.com/store/pc/Rigid-Heddle-Looms-c52.htm