Author Topic: Garden Knife  (Read 5949 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Garden Knife
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
I'm looking for a good sized garden knife.   

One that is small enough to cut a few chives at a time..and yet strong enough to cut through the base of a brocoli or cabbage head and gentle enough to peel a kohlrabi for a garden grazing snack. 

Because I'm up and down on my knees alot I'm not sure if I want one hanging down off my hip either.  Would I lose it by it possibly tipping sideways enough to fall out?   

What do you gardeners use out in the garden?

My Machete hangs on the pole by the corn crop.. that one I have covered.  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Windigo

• Mill File+
Re: Garden Knife
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »
Opinel # 8 stays in the little box of garden tools, along the the trowel and a few other odds and ends.
Carries easily in my pocket, and is tough enough for everything I need to do.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »
I've tried a bit of gardening here and there, but didn't seem to inherit my grandmother's knack for it. However, if you're doing a lot of bending and moving around between rows, you will probably want something with a 3" or shorter blade, in stainless steel. Dirt has a lot of stuff that can rust a knife in it, especially dirt that has been treated with fertilizer.

I think your best bet would be a little Chicago Cutlery paring knife or something similar. They are riveted full tang knives in 420 stainless steel. Should be stout enough for your purposes, is designed for peeling things, and is priced so it won't be the end of the world if it accidentally gets tilled under and you never see it again.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-Walnut-Tradition-3-Inch/dp/B0000BYEJD/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1329607941&sr=1-9

Forgot to mention they have a lifetime warranty as well.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
Victorinox makes a nice garden knife, if you want a folder for cutting herbs and flowers and the like.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 07:16:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  I do like the looks of that opinel.   I like the fold up factor too.  That way I can fold it and tuck it away.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
Thanks guys.  I do like the looks of that opinel.   I like the fold up factor too.  That way I can fold it and tuck it away.   

WW.
The Opinel is a great choice. My Grandfather had one kicking around in his saltwater tackle box for about 50 years, and you couldn't kill it, even exposed to sea water. IMO, they are the quintessential "utility knife".
I use my Kershaw "assisted opener" in the garden because 1) I always have it, and 2) I can open it with one hand after grabbing a sheaf of whatever I want to cut.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wgiles

• Mill File+
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
You might want to look for a Japanese Hori Hori (Dig Dig) gardener's knife. It's half trowel and half knife. Mine is stainless and has one plain edge and one serrated edge. It has about a six inch long blade and a sheath. I use it most to cut asparagus, which I cut about an inch below the surface. I can dig holes for seedlings as well. I normally just put sheath and all in my pants pocket, but I could put the sheath on my belt. I have yet to need to sharpen it. Since it is curved, it probably won't work for peeling, but it's a good all around gardening tool

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »
Hi Wgiles,  Welcome to the forum!    I think I know what knife yoru talking about.   I'm do think I was looking at those for metal detecting.    Didnt think about those for the garden... mmm..   I am now. :)

WW.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
re: garden knife
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:37:25 PM by Smokewalker »
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
SMOKEWALKER!!    GOOD to see your handsome mug made in here !!  :) :)

Now I gotta go look at your link... 

Woodswoman..aka Marsh.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:03:04 AM »
You might want to look for a Japanese Hori Hori (Dig Dig) gardener's knife.

I saw these recently in my Japan Woodworker catalog.
http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=11.165&dept_id=13202

I sorta like the looks of this one too
http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=11.171&dept_id=13204

Too bad I'm a cheap DIYer.  I'll probably end up trying to make one myself.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 08:32:04 AM »
FB, that digger tool looks like a good one!   I could use one like that when out metal detecting too.    Thanks for showing this one. :)

WW.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
I use a Mora 840G in a plastic sheath.   It clips on my belt but I also use it worn like a neck knife when I am cutting lettuce.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Half Axe

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »
WW, check this one out.

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=224

I bought some and gave them out for Chrismas and have heard nothing but good comments.  I would think the INOX blade would be good for gardening.

Offline Sealegs

• Mill File+
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 05:36:00 AM »
I think something like the old Bahco "The Shark" export knife from Norway would be perfect, for allot of things really. Haven't been able to get a new-ish one yet but the one that I handled was like a Norwegian Kephart.

Might end up making myself one if I can't find one. :P

Small foray into it on another forum.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/924001-quot-The-Shark-quot-8-1-2-quot-FB-marked-Berg-Bahco-Sweden-Norway

The somewhat nicer and somewhat unecessarily full tang version (older run) is on the second page. Kind of my holy grail knife for a few years. :D It's been derided for looking like a "kitchen knife" and I know my grandma used a very similar home made knife for everything from preparing food, garden cutting, peeling potatoes, apples and whatnot. Very practical.
"On little shores, and little seas, live people of little sense.
The world is half as wide, where the people are half as wise."