Author Topic: Critters in Camp  (Read 5647 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Critters in Camp
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »
Have any of you had a critter come investigate your camp while your sleeping?   

Thats my biggest fear... some skunk will sneak up on me....   **shivers**

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
Re: Critters in Camp
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »
Once had a raccoon take a chomp out of a styrofoam cooler...
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline ScotchDave

• Mill File
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »
I've had something investigate my camp at night, not sure what though, I was soloing it in Big Sur and something tried to eat my guy lines :s

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »
Oh gosh.. I forgot about racoons.. they are even more brave than a skunk..

Have you ever gone nightcrawler hunting?   I was out doing that one night right after a storm..and on all fours with my nose pointing down I realized something was just ahead of me.  I looked up and theres stood a wet, mangled coon.. not three feet in front of me.. munching on a nightcrawler wich I'm not so sure he didnt steal out of MY bucket....    I was in the house before I got second lung full of air.........

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »
I made a living out of selling nightcrawlers when I was a kid. Messy, slimy work but... Hey, easy money, heh.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:36 AM »
I do like going out there and hunting them.  :)     Goodness they were over 2.00 a dozen last year at the bait shop. 

WW.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:33:33 AM »
On the final night of a week long backpacking trip on Isle Royale my buddy and I hadn't bothered to build or use any shelter, we just threw our bags down at a campsite and crashed out. It was a long week with lots of ground covered and subpar meals, so we were pretty tired and ready for some decent food. An hour or so after dark a rustling noise woke me. In my hungry mind the noise had to have been the sound of an Oreo cookie package being opened. So being both hungry for a treat and pissed that my buddy wasn't sharing his cookies I sat up to give him the business. Well, it turns out that the noise was actually a very large moose that had wandered into our camp. She was about five feet away and looked as surprised to see me as I was to see her. I was pretty scared at that point, all I could think about was a pissed-off  thousand-pound moose stomping my guts out. I very slowly laid back down and she slowly ambled off. Moose are gigantic creatures, especially when viewed from ground level! My buddy never even woke up and of course we had eaten all of the Oreos by day three of the trip  ::)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:35:35 AM by Gurthy »

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »
Earlier this week, I had a little deer wander into my camp and sniff around.  Wandered off in no particular hurry.  Last night my wife and I woke up to Max (dog) going werewolf (backhair all up) in the tent.  Shined the light out and a black bear was about 50 ft away.  He eventually turned and lumbered off.  A coupla deer tracks between us and the truck in the morning.  Max was up for more than an hour real early because of the coyotes yipping.  They circled the camp once and decided it wasn't worth it.  We've had coons in the cooler and in Yellowstone woke up one time one time with a herd of Buffalo!!! in the camp. LOL. 
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
On a camping trip with a large group of people, we had a cooler loaded with nothing but breakfast fixins.  It turns out someone forgot to close the cooler all the way before bed, and we awoke to find ALL of the food eaten or scattered around the campsite.  Raccoon footprints all over the place.  Imagine waking up looking forward to a huge camp breakfast and seeing that carnage.  We sent out a shopping party to the nearest market (40 mi. away) to replace the goods.  Late breakfast is better than no breakfast IMHO.  We stacked logs on the coolers for the rest of the trip.  We also never saw the offending 'coons, even when we were up late.  Stupid critters!

I've also had run-ins with chipmunks.  We stopped to fish for some lunch while backpacking, and had set our packs maybe 20 feet away while we set our lines in the water.  I heard some crinkling and rustling coming from where we had the packs, but I didn't see anything.  I figured it was just the wind or the contents settling in the bags.  The sound continued so I went to check it out.  I opened the top flap of my bag, and lo-and-behold, there were two little chipmunks attacking my bag of trail mix!  They froze for a second with shocked looks on their faces then bolted out of the pack.  I fell backward because it all happened so fast I didn't really have time to process what was going on.  I closed-up my bag and returned to fishing.  Not 2 minutes later, I hear the noise again.  This time I see my buddy's bag rustling and moving from within, so I threw a little rock at the pack, and the little buggers bolted out of his bag.  We decided to move on before they did too much damage to our food supply.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »
Good stories..     Thanks for sharing.  I think I could handle the smaller critters..but moose, bear, coyotes.. mmm..not so sure...

I dont know what happened to me.. maybe it was just getting old, but I used to wander the woods ,prarie and not give darkness a second thought.     Now I just get the willies thinking about it. 

I WANT to go out there..  maybe I should start small and just pitch a tent by my front steps... then next time 10 feet further...   ha ha   

WW.  <<  chicken.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 12:03:51 PM »
Ooooo...chipmunks and those tiny red squirrels.   Trouble.   

I dont have those two critters here but my mother does.    I was visiting her and as we were doing dishes she said.. "  Look.. your car is rocking..."..  huh?       I went out to check on whats going on. I could hear all sorts of chatter going on twards the back passenger tire.  I got on my hands and knees and here moms dog, a chesapeak (sp) was going ballistic.  And before I could hollar for him to get out.. he bit through my ABS cable...  grrrrr....     

I drove home 15 miles.. and was telling my husband about the car.  He was looking outside and he laughs.. says.. " look".. and dang it all.. right there sitting on my rear tire was one of those red squirrels.  Soo..either he's here on the yard or he's jumped ship later in the afternoon in town...   

WW.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
My dad and I used to go up into Ontario to a place called Bennett Lake near Perth. Anyways, I'd always bring some peanuts in the shell to "fish" for chipmunks... Nothing like the drag peeling out as a chipmunk stuffs the nut (tied to the fishing line) into his mouth and runs off... Laughs were had.

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
My dad and I used to go up into Ontario to a place called Bennett Lake near Perth. Anyways, I'd always bring some peanuts in the shell to "fish" for chipmunks... Nothing like the drag peeling out as a chipmunk stuffs the nut (tied to the fishing line) into his mouth and runs off... Laughs were had.

Ha-ha!  We did the same thing with 'coons at a campground.  We used some burnt chicken from dinner.  They couldn't understand why the chicken kept flying out of their mouths when they tried to run off with it.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »
I remember camping as a kid with some distant cousins. I was probably 10 or 11 at the time. I was having difficulty sleeping, and it was pretty late, and I heard some rustling around at night. I got up t see what was going on and a raccoon was standing on the picnic table at the campsite. In the light of day the next morning, we found dirty little "hand" prints all over the ice chest and the food was trashed.

In retrospect the adults that took us camping probably didn't really know how to secure the food from animals. Those raccoons are very clever creatures.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
Good stories..     Thanks for sharing.  I think I could handle the smaller critters..but moose, bear, coyotes.. mmm..not so sure...

I dont know what happened to me.. maybe it was just getting old, but I used to wander the woods ,prarie and not give darkness a second thought.     Now I just get the willies thinking about it. 

I WANT to go out there..  maybe I should start small and just pitch a tent by my front steps... then next time 10 feet further...   ha ha   

WW.  <<  chicken.

There isn't much in the woods that you need to be fearful of,  unless you camp in Bear or Lion country,  I've had 'coons,  possum, and skunk visit during the night,  I never felt threatened or had any stuffed damaged by them,  I got pretty startled once when something woke me up,  it turned out to be a skunk sniffing my hand,  when I jumped he just ran off.
  If you are careful about keeping your camp clean and storing your food you shouldn't be bothered.
  Solo camping takes some getting used to when it comes to things that go bump in the night,  so talk someone into going with you and enjoy the company and security of a woods companion,

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.