Author Topic: Garland Manor  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Bernie Garland

• Whetstone +
Garland Manor
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
Heres a Link to Our Blog, Not Updated it for a bit Now, but now the growing seasons about to begin will update it

http://thegarlandmanor.com/

Bernie

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Garland Manor
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:29:17 AM »
Bernie, I'd love to see more of your chicken coop set up. :)    And if those are raspberries in the front right.. I'd like to see how you've planted those too.     I had raspberries planted on the south side of an old useless garage wich has now fallen down.  I need to move the raspberries and have been wondering on how / where.. and what kind of set up.

I do miss having chickens here.   

WoodsWoman
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
Bernie, I'd love to see more of your chicken coop set up. :)    And if those are raspberries in the front right.. I'd like to see how you've planted those too.     I had raspberries planted on the south side of an old useless garage wich has now fallen down.  I need to move the raspberries and have been wondering on how / where.. and what kind of set up.

I do miss having chickens here.   

WoodsWoman
I'm making a note to myself to take some pix for a thread on my raspberries this year. Planted about 100 plants last fall, and this spring I'll be building the trellises.

Hey, Bernie!! Long time no key! Missed hearing from you. Glad to see you here.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Bernie Garland

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »
Theres no raspberry by the Chickens Woodwoman,But were planting some in are allotment this year  :)

Bernie 

Offline Bernie Garland

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »

Hey, Bernie!! Long time no key! Missed hearing from you. Glad to see you here.

Glad to see your here Also  :)

Bernie

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:33:44 AM »
I really like your blog. :)
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Bernie Garland

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:56:45 AM »
OP..   100 plants?  Whoa... 

What do you mean by a trellis for your raspberries?    I"ve seen a fence like system where they are tied to it to keep them from falling over..but never a trellis.    I'm interested on this one. :)

Other than M&Ms in Gorp..  I'm not sure I'd take chocolate with either.  Oh wait..  yes..  Cant forget the Swiss Miss hot chocolate.  :) :)

I havent been out cooking yet..its just been too cold here.   But I've been prepareing some small 'condiment' packages for taking out with me this spring.   Butter , being the main one.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
OP..   100 plants?  Whoa... 

What do you mean by a trellis for your raspberries?    I"ve seen a fence like system where they are tied to it to keep them from falling over..but never a trellis.    I'm interested on this one. :)

Saying "trellis" may connote the wrong image. I'm talking about a "T" frame on each end of the row, with a second, narrower cross member half way down the post. Then you run four wires/cables, each from the end of one of the crossbeams down the row. It holds the plants vertical, and any suckers can be easily removed.
A friend of mine uses 4 poles, two spaced at each end of the row, and then just runs poly rope between them to contain the canes.

Where's the link on your blog where I can see your berry setup?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:37:44 PM by Old Philosopher »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
Ok.. yup thats the system I've seen.       I have a fence about five feet tall around my garden and have thought of just planting my raspberries along it on the outside and using rope to loop around and hold up to the fence.   On either side of the rows the suckers would be eliminated by either the mower or tiller.  Do you think this would work just as well?

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
Any kind of support will work, as long as there is good air circulation and lots of sun.