Author Topic: SAK Farmer...with scissors! (Nods to Syph007 & AverageIowaGuy)  (Read 5866 times)

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
After watching this video:

I had to try this out.

After ruining 2 SAKs & a couple drill bits, here's the result:

It's put together loosely for now, the brass rods are only peened on the visible side.  I'm actually going with torx security screws, as per Syph007's advice.  They're on the way, along with a few more Farmers & scissor donor knives.  Now that I've made the requisite screw-ups, I'm hoping it'll go a lot smoother, next time.

The bag hook is part of the scissor spring, so that's not going anywhere, for now.  I actually kinda like that it works as a thumb rest when I used the knife or saw.  The extra layer really improves the feel of this knife, for me.  I don't think this'll replace my Wave, but it'll be a nice EDC along with my Skeletool.
Warning:  Sometimes it looks like I'm dancing, but it's just that I walked into a spiderweb. - Demetri Martin

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Re: SAK Farmer...with scissors! (Nods to Syph007 & AverageIowaGuy)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »
You know, it totally looks worth the effort sitting there like that! OUTSTANDING job! I get it now, seeing that. Awesome job Mr. Panda, sir, awesome job!

I like the stuff in the background too! :)

KK

What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »
Looks great! You definitely put in the time and research and it shows! :thumbsup:

Offline itsbaker

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:49:05 PM »
Thanks for that pm. I might see how your torx screw swap goes. Reading that syph thread made me want to do two things. 1 scrap original idea and do torx with extra backspring so no hook as well as propose a purchase of said guys anodized scales. 2 try to buy new blade and saw for my beat up farmer edc.  I got it used and I don't feel bad about abusing it.  Though the blade is scuffed to heck and back. 

I am also troubled with whether I tear apart my homemade bushcrafter and add scissors or the other farmer I have.  I bartend now so bottle opener does come in handy. 

Looks great. Could you post a link to torx you ordered and maybe some pics of the process.  On Ave Iowa's  video he says keeping the hook made spring  tight. Did you trim it down any to compensate for shift?

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
Looks like you really did a good job!  I'd like to see it after you put in the torx screws!

:thumbsup:
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
I love SAK mods and yours is no exception. My perfect SAKwould be the Farmer I have with the pruing blade added from a harvester, I have no skill with the tools needed to try and I really don't want to screw up a acouple nice knives to learn.  Only problem I see wior hitch in the plan would be that the pruner would need something on the other side of the spring I think as normally it goes with the bottle opener in place of the can opener on the Farmer.  So any ideas for that other side of the pruner blade?
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:07:41 AM »
Angerland, If by pruner you are talking about is the saw, My SAK does not have anything on the other end. The spring has a thicker area where the saw tip closes into it. I do not know what my knife is. Very similar to the camper but never had toothpick or tweezers.

cork screw / awl on the back.
large and small blades.
Wood saw in the center.
can opener/bottle opener.

I have three US knives. Two with broken back springs and one I broke the rivet using the bottle opener / flat screw driver to pull a stone out of my tire tread.
I will try to make repairs now after watching this video. Thank You.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 10:02:58 AM »
No xj, My farmer hsa saw on it already. On a Harvester model the can opener tool is replaced by a small hooked pruning blade. That is the blade I want to add to my Farmer SAK
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:17 PM »
kk, thanks, dude!  That's my work table & there's so much junk on it from all my projects on the go.  That kydex is a little thing I whipped up for my ESEE-3 from some scrap.  Just to stick it in the pocket of my carhartt's.

itsbaker, I've been in contact with Syph & am waiting to see if I can get red alox scales from him.  If you haven't seen it, look for his red/brass SAK.  Someone called it the "Iron Man" knife & it looks beautiful.  If I can get the scales, that'll be definitely in my queue.  I've got 3 more Farmers & 4 donor knives coming.  I'm thinking of doing this mod to my Harvester, too.  Here's a couple links for the screws & barrels: Barrels, Screws.  You don't need to get the separate screws but they probably be easier to make flush.  I also did not grind the hook or alter the spring in any way.  I haven't closed it up tightly though, so that may be why I'm not experiencing a problem.  The screws should allow me to change the tension, so I'm hoping to avoid all that.

Angerland, I may try something like you mention.  I wonder if I can fab something from aluminum to go opposite the pruner blade?  Put the tweezers/toothpick there or maybe Uncle Bill's Silver Grippers?  I'd love to have the diamond file from my LM Wave in there, but I'm not taking that apart. I wish the Harvester came with a split ring loop.  I want to attach expandable lanyards to these knives, if I'm going into the woods.

I really wish I could find metric sized barrels.  I don't want to have to always drill out everything.  I ordered a carbide bit, 3 actually, so that should make it easier, at least.   

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:52:17 PM by Red Panda »
Warning:  Sometimes it looks like I'm dancing, but it's just that I walked into a spiderweb. - Demetri Martin

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »
kk, thanks, dude!  That's my work table & there's so much junk on it from all my projects on the go.  That kydex is a little thing I whipped up for my ESEE-3 from some scrap.  Just to stick it in the pocket of my carhartt's.

Do you have a Canadian source for kydex?

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
Nah, I get it from knifekits.com

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »
Got a pic of my latest SAKenstein.

It's a Harvester w/bottle opener removed & small blade added in its place, along with scissors, of course!

The small blade was ground down to a flat, convex edge for carving as suggested by Chris Lubkemann in his book, The Little Book of Whittling.

That's my first rooster, made with this knife.  Missing the tail, but I did this up, waiting for a doctor's appt.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 07:43:26 AM »
Nice work, RP on that latest SAKenstein... And the rooster's cool too. So... You made it in a dr's office? Hahaha! Awesome! "You know you're a redneck when..." :lol:

Great work man!

KK