Author Topic: Looking for new camera  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
Looking for new camera
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
As some of you may have read in my outing report....I am in need of anew digital camera. I'm thinking hard about making the step up to a decent SLR style. I have always wanted to take good pics of the wildlife an outdoors that I see around me. My last camera was"ok" but I want a little upgrade.  Now, like most of us, money is tight. I'd liketo keep it under or at $300 if I can. So I am looking for ideas from the photogs out here.

I am going to start stopping by pawn shops occasinally and see what is what as well.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Sudz

• Whetstone +
Re: Looking for new camera
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:18:30 AM »
Sorry to hear your camera went in the drink Anger, that's got to be pretty frustrating to say the least not to mention while on a first-time trip!

One camera I would like to pick up is the Nikon Coolpix AW100 and it comes in just under your price point new. I like that it is ruggedized and waterproof for hard-use and clumsyness. I also prefer a point and shoot for the aforementioned reasons as well, most of the time I don't find myself needing much more than that. If I were wanting to get more "Professional" shot opportunities, perhaps I would be swayed to dedicated lenses and such.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/allweather/aw100/

Get's favorable reviews as well: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397532,00.asp?tab=Reviews

In the same relative categories there is also a Canon Powershot D20, Fujifilm FinePix XP150, Olympus Tough TG-1 and Panasonic DMC TS-4

The Olympus would is a runner-up choice for me and depending on the deal I got, I might be swayed to it over the Nikon. Lastly I would highly recommend you seek electronics through a reputable camera shop or someplace that will stand behind the product you buy. Pawn shops are great place for good deal AND lousy deals in my experience anyhow.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
Sudz is spot on with his recommendations...

Two of the biggest ( excuses, and I don't mean this in a bad way ) I hear from folks is either... a, I didn't have my camera with me or... b, it looked like it might rain and I didn't want to take my camera out and get it wet...either way you don't have a camera with you and you won't be taking photos of your trip. With the type of camera Sudz is recommending neither of those excuses will be a problem ever again, that camera will easily slip into a pocket and can get dunked without hurting it at all, If your prime reason for using a camera is to take with you on your outdoor adventures you can't go wrong with the Nikon or similarily styled camera, they really should be your 1st choices.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »
I have to agree as well. I have a full size SLR that sits on a shelf in my closet because its too bulky to bring along and too delicate to expose to the elements. I use a couple of little canon point and shoot cameras for different purposes. But they take great pictures and they are cheap enough to replace in the event I lose or break one.

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 10:46:05 AM »
Yoour wisdom persuaded me and I went ahead and ordered the Nikkon suggested in the thread...Not sure how I will post pics of the camera when I get it but I will do a review for certain.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Sudz

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »
I think it's a Great choice! Definitely let us know what you think of it.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »
Yoour wisdom persuaded me and I went ahead and ordered the Nikkon suggested in the thread...Not sure how I will post pics of the camera when I get it but I will do a review for certain.

I reflected upon what you said and my reply is, use a mirror  8)
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »

I reflected upon what you said and my reply is, use a mirror  8)

Heh, that reminds me of the old Readers Digest section "Towards More Picturesque Speech". :D