Author Topic: Primitive Shoes by Margrethe Hald  (Read 7436 times)

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
Primitive Shoes by Margrethe Hald
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:42:27 PM »
For any one with an interest in making simple shoes of some form, and would like to try something other than moccasins, or has an interest in primitive skills from different parts of the world, this will be appealing. A thorough treatise on simple shoes from Denmark predominantly, and other parts of northern Europe as well, from about the Viking age and earlier.

(Mods please move if it is the incorrect area.)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Primitive Shoes by Margrethe Hald
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »
That's VERY interesting!  I'm going to spend some time going through that one.....thanks for posting it :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »
whoa.  That was fun to look at.   My computer said ' enough' at page 7 and woudnt let me open up more than four individual pages , but I could see all the different ways they've thought of covering up their feet back then.    Wow.   Those laced up ones were amazing to look at.

I'd love to see that book in person and be able to read it all.   

Thank you for sharing this one.. I liked it.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:58:37 AM »
I just happened to notice that one of our 'guests' was viewing this thread this morning.  It got short shrift the first time around, but I think it deserves a quick 'bump' and closer scrutiny ???  If Cody Lundin is out there and just hasn't gotten around to registering yet, he may find this useful in fashioning his next version of emergency footwear for Dual Survival :P

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:44:18 AM »
An admirable bump from the annals of the archives, thanx wolfy, and thank you Exploriment
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
It IS a very good resource, thanks for the reminder.

Wonder where Exploriment went off to... He always had interesting posts here and there around the net.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 11:15:02 PM »
Ha! Thanks. Still around. Just busy with all sorts of stuff.

Speaking of shoes, I've been working on a pair of moccasin-esque shoes from ballistic nylon and Cordura for a pair of camp shoes.

But I discovered these which I think are pretty neat. Will have to try and make a pair for myself. Check em out. Made from one piece of fabric. Cool concept.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1851515588/lasso-your-very-own-must-have-slippers-for-ultimat

http://paradise.rca.ac.uk/?p=160

http://www.lasso-shoes.com/wp-content/themes/lassoshoes/maintenance.html

http://www.atcrux.com/2012/06/26/3271/diy-lasso-shoes-can-assembled-jiffy-laces.html

Offline xune

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:18:32 AM »
Wow, cool find Exploriment!

I always wondered the pattern you'd have to have to make a shoe... Guess now I know for later ;)
I'll tell you what hermits realizes. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:25:05 AM »
Very cool those lasso's. .theres a Saddle maker who sells leather scraps, and felt and other cool stuff 30 minutes from my place , gonna be buyin some supplies to make me some of these. .They are similar to "GLERUPS" which sell for $ 90 to $ 110 here in canada, i bet you can make these for $10 or $15 DYI. .Way cool thanx

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:28:57 AM »
Cool idea! Could use a variety of materials once you had your pattern nailed down!

Tapatalked from my batphone.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »
Neat pattern.  I would think one could make a great pair of moccasins with that technique.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
I feel like a bit of a turd thinking about copying their design, but it is ingrained in me to try making everything myself. If he offered them in something other than felt I would be tempted to buy a pair, but as there are no sturdier options than felt.....

Something about the fact that it is a one piece design I find really appealing. I know that one of the limitations of moccasins is that they don't last that long. But I do like wearing them a lot. If you could develop a pattern that you know works, if you were going on a week or two hiking or hunting trip, you could bring a pair or two, cut out and rolled up or flat behind the frame sheet of a pack and with some cord, easily put a replacement pair together.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »
I feel like a bit of a turd thinking about copying their design, but it is ingrained in me to try making everything myself. If he offered them in something other than felt I would be tempted to buy a pair, but as there are no sturdier options than felt.....

Something about the fact that it is a one piece design I find really appealing. I know that one of the limitations of moccasins is that they don't last that long. But I do like wearing them a lot. If you could develop a pattern that you know works, if you were going on a week or two hiking or hunting trip, you could bring a pair or two, cut out and rolled up or flat behind the frame sheet of a pack and with some cord, easily put a replacement pair together.

As soon as I saw that design, I thought of the Native American side-seam moccasin.  Are you aware of this book....

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Manual-American-Indian-Footwear/dp/1884693008/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Manual-American-Indian-Footwear/product-reviews/1884693008/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It's THE BEST information anywhere for making authentic designs from all across the North American
continent.  The author collected information and designs from the tribes for decades.....GREAT book!

EDIT: I didn't notice the price on Amazon :P.   Crazy Crow has it for only $8.....

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=4105-003-042
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:32:18 AM by wolfy »

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »
I think I've seen that book at the leather store here. It certainly looks familiar anyway. I'll have to try and pop by there this weekend to check. Thanks for the tip.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 11:25:15 PM »
I know Tandy Leather used to sell moccasin patterns, and a pattern for plainsman boots.

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »

I hear ya on the 'turd' factor but hey :shrug: its human nature right ?

As soon as I saw that design, I thought of the Native American Plains side-seam moccasin.  Are you aware of this book....

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Manual-American-Indian-Footwear/dp/1884693008/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Manual-American-Indian-Footwear/product-reviews/1884693008/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It's THE BEST information anywhere for making authentic designs from all across the North American
continent.  The author collected information and designs from the tribes for decades.....GREAT book!

EDIT: I didn't notice the price on Amazon :P.   Crazy Crow has it for only $8.....

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=4105-003-042

Thanx for the links wolfy, im gonna order one from crazy crow, I've been buying old leather purses and jackets from thrift stores for years now. .I got 5 jackets and over a dozen purses 3 of them have got some really thick leather