Author Topic: Alternate carry configuration for USGI gas mask bags  (Read 6182 times)

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
Alternate carry configuration for USGI gas mask bags
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:41:00 AM »
Since many of us are sporting new gas mask bags (thank you Wilderbeast) ..

I know how to rig these like we did in the service, but it doesn't necessarily work for stand-alone outdoor/bushcraft use.

Can someone post up some of theways they have configured their bags for "civilian use" (pics would be great).

Thanks
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Alternate carry configuration for USGI gas mask bags
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »
I just got  mine today. When I get a chance to mess around with them a bit I will post some pics. I think these are going to be ideal for lugging a camera and grip-pod along with a snack and a water bottle, and a few other goodies.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:48:05 AM »
The easiest mod I've come up with is to cut the main strap out of its position and re-sew it on the diagonally opposite corner.

then it can be clipped to the ring on the other to side as a "top loader"

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:27:47 AM »
The easiest mod I've come up with is to cut the main strap out of its position and re-sew it on the diagonally opposite corner.

then it can be clipped to the ring on the other to side as a "top loader"

Thats what I was looking for .... TYVM
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »
Hmm...

The bags appear to be a pretty heavy nylon. I think it would be fairly easy to make a temporary attachment point on the opposite corner using 2 or 3 heavy duty snaps to attach the webbing to the bag, and still allow for it to be removed and replaced for horizontal opening use if one wanted to go that route. Alternatively, it could be riveted on. (Just trying to think of quick easy solutions for folks without sewing machines or the ability to use one. I have a great sewing machine but I don't have any green nylon thread, or enough experience with sewing to try this...

But the rivets might be the way to go. You can just heat a nail to melt holes in the fabric for the rivets. This will prevent fraying and tear-out. You can also back the rivets with leather or a scrap piece of webbing to help reinforce the fabric if you plan on carrying a bunch of rocks.

Incidentally, these bags would make great rockhounding bags. You could put your loupe in one of the small pockets and carry other items in the larger compartments. The inner divider compartment with the velcro closure would be perfect for a rock and mineral field guide.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
Hmm...

The bags appear to be a pretty heavy nylon. I think it would be fairly easy to make a temporary attachment point on the opposite corner using 2 or 3 heavy duty snaps to attach the webbing to the bag, and still allow for it to be removed and replaced for horizontal opening use if one wanted to go that route. Alternatively, it could be riveted on. (Just trying to think of quick easy solutions for folks without sewing machines or the ability to use one. I have a great sewing machine but I don't have any green nylon thread, or enough experience with sewing to try this...

But the rivets might be the way to go. You can just heat a nail to melt holes in the fabric for the rivets. This will prevent fraying and tear-out. You can also back the rivets with leather or a scrap piece of webbing to help reinforce the fabric if you plan on carrying a bunch of rocks.

Incidentally, these bags would make great rockhounding bags. You could put your loupe in one of the small pockets and carry other items in the larger compartments. The inner divider compartment with the velcro closure would be perfect for a rock and mineral field guide.

Oh SNAP, friggin genius.

I just happened to have some snaps.  It took all of five minutes, a couple of those to find a hole punch and a hammer to set the rivets on the snaps.

Now if I had cut that strap leaving a 3-4 inch tag end I could have made it switchable like you suggested.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »
I hope your wife doesn't peek under her tablecloth to see the imprint you left in the tabletop from setting those snaps :pissed: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
I hope your wife doesn't peek under her tablecloth to see the imprint you left in the tabletop from setting those snaps :pissed: :lol:

The kit came with a little anvil, so it shouldn't be too bad.  Besides she's away for a couple more days, so I can play dumb if and when she notices.

I'm an expert at playing dumb.  Ask anyone.  :-[

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 08:42:08 PM »
Awesome! I like the way that came out. I think I will do this to mine. I just have to decide how many snaps and their location. Do you feel like two snaps is enough to hold a bag stuffed with a full water bottle and a few other items? I want to make sure I install enough snaps.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »
Awesome! I like the way that came out. I think I will do this to mine. I just have to decide how many snaps and their location. Do you feel like two snaps is enough to hold a bag stuffed with a full water bottle and a few other items? I want to make sure I install enough snaps.

I just put two full liter bottles into the bag an swung it around using just one snap, it held.

I think two is plenty, but a third wouldn't hurt.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »
Nice work!  Thanks!
 ;)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline JustJoel

• Whetstone +
    • Smoke in the Cedars
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
Wellsir, no snaps on mine but the wife got ahold of it and the cuttin and sewwing ensued... :)

When she was done I was so excited... Then she reminded me that I need shoes that match my new purse... Hmmmm....  ;)

Offline Trkbusa06

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 01:22:13 AM »

When she was done I was so excited... Then she reminded me that I need shoes that match my new purse... Hmmmm....  ;)

Don't feel bad, my gf said the same thing.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 01:34:46 AM »
Ok, I figured out a mod for these for vertical carry that doesn't require permanently altering the bag, doesn't require special tools or skills, and only uses a 30" piece of 550 cord.

http://bladesandbushcraft.com/index.php/topic,2720.0.html

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »
PW: I made the mod and it works great!  Thanks for the info!

:thumbsup:
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »
Cool, glad it worked out for you! I will try to get better pictures today with a real camera and maybe even do a video.