Author Topic: tree ID website  (Read 2735 times)

Offline treez

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
tree ID website
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:52 PM »
Here is a website that I sometimes use when trying to figure out a tricky tree, shrub, or vine. I would still cross check with a book or something, especially if I was going to use eat the plant. But it gets you pretty close.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/idit.htm

Also, I advise cue king your local DNR or County Extension to see if plant is a native or a non-native invasive species like buckthorn here in Ohio.

Also, I it might not be a bad idea to treat your blades with alcohol after each outing or use when removing a green beach or tree. Reason being, if you remove a limb from a tree and then cut another tree afterwards, you can potentially infect the later with what ever the diarrhea plant may of had. Plus it is a good excuse to bring some Wild Turkey orwhat ever else suits you into the field.

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
Re: tree ID website
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:25:39 PM »
Sorry, didn't want to seem to "preachy" with the end comment, but something to think about.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »
Good  advice now that you mention it I do recall reading that years ago about treating your tools that way
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
Sorry, didn't want to seem to "preachy" with the end comment, but something to think about.

Not too preachy at all just being a good steward of the trees. I like the idea of multi purpose Wild Turkey too. I carry Kettle One vodka myself.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:35:46 PM »
That is an interesting consideration. I've heard of orchids and african violets getting infected with plant viruses by pruning with tools used on another plant, so it makes sense that a virus could pass between trees this way as well.

Something to consider.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »
Not bossy at all and I'm glad you mentioned it...I would not have thought of doing that! 

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »
I never heard of pass tree colds on but it makes sense. 

I put the website that you recommended in my Favorites.  It seams really easy to use.  Tree ID is a real weakness for me.

Thanks for the post.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Nelson

• Whetstone +
  • aka Bill510c
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the link, looks like a very useful website. I too have a tree id weakness so this will really be a benefit to me.
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.
Thomas Jefferson