Author Topic: My overly complicated alcohol burner design  (Read 5946 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
My overly complicated alcohol burner design
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »
Just thought I'd share a few pics.

The original idea was to make a burner that was a pressurized jet burner like a penny stove, but that also allowed you to store alcohol inside. It actually works fairly well, but it difficult to self-prime, and requires a taller pot stand than similar stoves. I got a 1/2 hour burn from a full charge of alcohol. The body of the burner is made from an "easy cheese" can, and the brass and aluminum parts were made on my lathe.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: My overly complicated alcohol burner design
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:30:42 PM »
Found pictures of "version 2". This was a simpler one that didn't allow for internal storage of fuel.

But I felt it was a simpler and easier design. Then in retrospect I came up with an even easier solution. Just place a steel ball bearing over the fill hole instead of the elaborate screw down design. I haven't made one yet because I don't have any appropriately sized bearings.

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »
All that and an excellent source of calcium too. Can you explain the do hicky you put together? Would a wick help?
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
All that and an excellent source of calcium too. Can you explain the do hicky you put together? Would a wick help?

Basically the burner has an internal divider between the bottom fuel chamber and the upper gas jet chamber. By tightening the valve, it seals the lower fuel chamber to allow you to store alcohol in the stove. Opening the valve lets alcohol vapor escape from the bottom chamber into the top chamber. The spring loaded disk seals the fuel filler hole at the top so the pressurized alcohol vapor will exit the jets around the perimeter of the top.

The version 2 has no such divider and is not designed to store alcohol.

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »
Oh got it now thanks for explaining
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:41:51 PM »
That's really cool!

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »
wow man... i thought it was called a penny stove because it shouldnt cost more than a penny? thats a nice rig there at the top, and it stores fuel as well?

"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:51 PM »
Yes, is stores alcohol in the lower chamber. The problem is it doesn't self prime. I redesigned it and the bottom stove has a ring around the jets that can hold enough alcohol to light and prime the stove. But it still is a little touchy and doesn't prime every time. I wanted to get away from having to use a separate primer pan. But the bottom stove doesn't store alcohol.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
Yes, is stores alcohol in the lower chamber. The problem is it doesn't self prime. I redesigned it and the bottom stove has a ring around the jets that can hold enough alcohol to light and prime the stove. But it still is a little touchy and doesn't prime every time. I wanted to get away from having to use a separate primer pan. But the bottom stove doesn't store alcohol.

darned if you do and danged if  you dont... still wicked cool though :)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »

darned if you do and danged if  you dont... still wicked cool though :)

Well I know the valve concept would work fine for a burner. I just don't have the time and inclination to keep making these until I get one that works perfectly. :D

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »
Well I know the valve concept would work fine for a burner. I just don't have the time and inclination to keep making these until I get one that works perfectly. :D

it would be very cool, but personally id rather spend that time making knives :P

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »
Me too. Hence, halted burner development. :D

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
Me too. Hence, halted burner development. :D

;D