Author Topic: DIY snowshoe bindings WIP  (Read 3249 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
DIY snowshoe bindings WIP
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »
Someone on another forum was kind enough to send me some plans to make these. Regrettably, I no longer have access to that thread so all I can do is share the details of the construction. I cut out the two "toe cup" portions from 9oz leather, and then dyed and finished them on both sides. I still need to make the heel straps, but I wanted to wait until we actually got deep enough snow to use them. So for now this project is on hold. I will probably finish it next fall if it looks like we will get good snow year.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
Re: DIY snowshoe bindings WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:43:31 PM »
You have been busy, PW... Wow.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »
You have been busy, PW... Wow.

Heh, thanks! But a lot of this stuff is just me digging through my photobucket account from past projects. I wanted to get some of it posted here since I renamed all the files and they no longer appear elsewhere online.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »
My brother in law has two pairs of snowshoes hanging on the wall in his garage.   I never gave them a thought until I learned what bushcrafting is all about.     The last time I was there I asked if I could look at them closer and what the story was behind them.    One pair is over 100 years old.    It was amazing the work done on them.  The weaving was quite amazing on them.  Old leather for shoe bindings like what your making.     

I'm going to watch and follow along as you create your snowshoe pair. :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »
Well, thanks! But I'm just making the bindings. I'm not even going to attempt to string a whole set of shoes myself. :D

These will go on the magnesium and steel cable snowshoes sold by Sportsman's Guide, the old military surplus ones.