Author Topic: adding flavor on the trail  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
adding flavor on the trail
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
Hey all!

Wondering what is your favorite method of adding flavor to your food on the trails and camping.  I know spices and condiments fall in to the nice to have but not needed catagory. I'm curious to know what you use and how you transport it.

Back in the active duty a lot of us brought hot sauce and bottles of Mrs. Dash or onionand garlic slt with us. This was before Hot sauce and seasoning packets were common in MRE's and they went a long way to enhancing other wise humdrum MRE's to something we almost didn't mind eating for weeks at a time.

"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: adding flavor on the trail
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
Hey all!

Wondering what is your favorite method of adding flavor to your food on the trails and camping.  I know spices and condiments fall in to the nice to have but not needed catagory. I'm curious to know what you use and how you transport it.

Back in the active duty a lot of us brought hot sauce and bottles of Mrs. Dash or onionand garlic slt with us. This was before Hot sauce and seasoning packets were common in MRE's and they went a long way to enhancing other wise humdrum MRE's to something we almost didn't mind eating for weeks at a time.

Anyone here who reads the foods section knows that I like to eat, and i like to cook,  so I will make room in my pack anytime for certain foods,  condements,  and seasonings,  at the expense of other gear that I can get by without.
  I have a small compartmentalized plastic case designed to house small fishing lures,  in it I keep small glass bottles 1/2 ounce each of salt, Pepper, cyanne, onion, garlic, and a cajun
seasoning that I make myself,  also included is a two ounce bottle of light olive oil.
  With this mix I can fill just about any flavor enhancement need that I might have,  I used to carry a couple of the small MRE hot sauce bottles but found that I rarely needed them, I am a lover of Chlula and a few others many foods especially sea food,  but not so much on trail foods.
  To round out my "pantry" I keep a plastic bag full of tea, coffee, sugar, creamer, and a couple of evelopes of outmeal,  this bag fits nicely in my GI mess kit.
  Actually, neither the plastic box or the the sandwich bag takes very much room or adds any appreciable weight to my pack.

For what it's worth,  I also carry a couple of spring type rat traps and a survival fishing kit,  just in case.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »
I carry the "big 5" (oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, tarragon) in those tiny little ziplock bags, inside my mess kit. I also have a combo salt/peppper container & couple boulion cubes. I also carry one of those tiny spritz/spray bottles with olive oil (for cooking and for my knives).

I figure with these I could even make scat taste passable, if I had to  :-\
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
geat stuff. Moe your kit really sound well rounded and matches the sort of stuff I bring in now. I choose Frank's over Choulo hot sauce though that is also a good one, so it Tapatio.

Acara - I like your spice selection too, definelty not my big 5 but certainly would work. I hope you never have to put the scat claim to test. But fim it if you do!
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
Wondering what is your favorite method of adding flavor to your food on the trails and camping. 

I always seem to let others cook  ;D Never plan it but it almost always works out that way.

I figure with these I could even make scat taste passable, if I had to  :-\

*Note to self* NEVER let Acara cook for you.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »
Someone gave me a bunch of little glass bottles that neatly fit into an Altoids tin.  I carry sage, cinnamon, ginger powdered, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.  In theory the first 4 have medicinal properties, the salt will kill you, and black pepper kills the taste of just about anything.
On a planned camping trip I have the menu thought out and usually make up zip lock bags with the spice mixtures for each meal.
My tea box has the tea, beef and chicken cubes, Splenda sweetener, and Mickey D's salt and pepper packets, and the accessory packet from an MRE.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
I got one of the little spice kits from Townsend & Son, but mostly carry just salt and pepper in a little two-ended shaker I got at Wal Mart.  I also have a small container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt for when I broil some steak-on-a-stick.

Lots of time I take pre-packaged foods that are already seasoned, so not much else is needed.
...and I'll see you soon!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
I got one of the little spice kits from Townsend & Son, but mostly carry just salt and pepper in a little two-ended shaker I got at Wal Mart.  I also have a small container of Lawry's Seasoned Salt for when I broil some steak-on-a-stick.

Lots of time I take pre-packaged foods that are already seasoned, so not much else is needed.

Somehow Professor I have a problem thinking about you opening up a can of Dinty More or a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese after watching you make bacon gravy and biscuits,  although I do remember you putting together some kind of cowboy hash or stew that had you using a mess of prepackaged ingredients,  even remember closing my eyes and holding my hands over my ears  :).
  To many of us camp cooks you are the man we look up to for getting it done,  so keep up the good video's and the billy can cookouts,  but please,  try to hide the cardboard boxes and tin cans form view,  pretend your at the 'Vouse and keep it natural.  :)

Love your work my friend.

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
Thanks for your encouragement!  On our Boundary Waters trip a couple of weeks ago, we met some guys who really impressed me:  they invited us over to their camp for supper and they had freshly caught and deep-fried great northern with a cajun shake-on cornmeal coating, fried potatoes, and ham and beans with freshly baked cornbread...all done on a 2-burner propane stove!

There were five guys and 3 canoes.  The "chef" paddled alone and filed his canoe with the kitchen gear.  They had biscuits and gravy every morning; we were eating instant oatmeal from those little add-water packets. 

Here's my most recent camp meal video.  It has been so dry here that I haven't been able to build a fire in more than a month.  Note the generous use of salt and pepper!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:54:27 PM by Professor »
...and I'll see you soon!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
Thanks for your encouragement!  On our Boundary Waters trip a couple of weeks ago, we met some guys who really impressed me:  they invited us over to their camp for supper and they had freshly caught and deep-fried great northern with a cajun shake-on cornmeal coating, fried potatoes, and ham and beans with freshly baked cornbread...all done on a 2-burner propane stove!

There were five guys and 3 canoes.  The "chef" paddled alone and filed his canoe with the kitchen gear.  They had biscuits and gravy every morning; we were eating instant oatmeal from those little add-water packets. 

Here's my most recent camp meal video.  It has been so dry here that I haven't been able to build a fire in more than a month.  Note the generous use of salt and pepper!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about,  good stuff cooked fresh,  good job Prof.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 09:27:55 PM »
I found those glitter containers (6) at the dollar store.   I emptied them out , washed good and filled with Salt/pepper in one, cinnamon/sugar mix, plain sugar, lowrys, garlic chives, and brown sugar in another.  Taped the bottom ends together and the three columns fit into the cup I have nicely.    I also have crisco in a small baggy and inside a pill bottle for frying or biscuits.

I've not played with this much, but I'm thinking my spice choices will change in time.

Where can I find some small glass bottles guys?    I know my beads come in nice small tubes and some fishing jigs come in those small tubes but I cant seem to find a supplier.   

Edited to let the Professor know I'm glad to see he's back.. :)    I'm axious to try to watch his video tonight. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:43:37 AM »
Where can I find some small glass bottles guys?    I know my beads come in nice small tubes and some fishing jigs come in those small tubes but I cant seem to find a supplier.   

Edited to let the Professor know I'm glad to see he's back.. :)    I'm axious to try to watch his video tonight. 

WW.

I prefer not to use the glass, due to weight, noise and breakage; but if you want to go that route, the craft stores have them. Metaphysical, stores & places that sell scented oils sometimes carry them too. Another alternative is ask your optometrist if they are willing to give/save you the smal glass vials, with rubber stoppers, that contact lenses come in (although a lot of manufacturers have gone to foil packs).

If your willing to look at plastic, the Dollars stores and/or Walmart carry small plastic bottles in the travel/trial size toiletries section.

My preference is the small Ziploc like baggies (like the ones the spare buttons for your clothes come in).

Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 03:15:49 AM »
Thank you, Acara.  I think I like the baggy idea too... and I'm allllmost sure I can order those from my beading catalog.  By the 1,000 pack I think...   :)

I did find that bottle set at the dollar store.   I filled one with cooking oil , another with dish soap and the other with hand soap.   Altho I could use the dish soap for that.     The spritzing one is dedicated to my painting table.   Guess I need to go get another set....

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline murphy

• Mill File+
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 06:48:59 AM »
I always carry a film canister full of Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning.  I love the stuff and put it on just about everything.

Murph

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 07:44:37 AM »
I'm the weird one. I carry a good size plastic squeeze bottle of Malt Vinegar. It's an old 5 oz mustard bottle. I also carry a baby soda bottle (test tube?) of Honey, and one of E.V. olive oil.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
I have a "standard seasoning" that I put on just about any kind of fowl, fish or meat. I use this constantly at home, and it come into the field with me. Three containers, usually reused Tone's plastic spice bottles with shaker tops inside the lids.
Johnny's Seasoned Salt (salt, sugar, paprika, pepper, soy sauce powder & citric acid)
Ground black pepper, ground at home from whole corns
Granulated garlic (not garlic powder)

I use Johnny's on fried potatoes, and egg dishes, along with the cracked pepper.

I find only having to pack three seasonings makes my decisions easier.  ;) I've also been known to make up my spice blends before a trip, and carry them in similar containers. I love those spice shaker bottles for just adding a pinch of this, or a dab of that.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
I'm with Murphy on the Tony Chachere's :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 08:39:02 PM »
I am loving all the tips and ideas here folks!