Author Topic: Nobody's going to merge this Watch and Timepiece thread!  (Read 2080 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Nobody's going to merge this Watch and Timepiece thread!
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
So let's see your watches!

This is the one I've been wearing. It's an Invicta homage to a Rolex Submariner. It was only $68 on sale at Amazon when I bought it. It's an automatic movement made by Seiko for Invicta. So far it has kept decent time. It needs to be reset about once a month. It probably just needs to be regulated. But it's accurate enough for my purposes. I just love the nostalgia of a mechanical movement.

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
Re: Nobody's going to merge this Watch and Timepiece thread!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:28 PM »

Not a great pic, but one of my favorites.  It's currently out for some work. If it turns out, I'll post an update.  Hope you enjoy it!
"I'm outdoors, you know." George Thorogood.
Member #94!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »
Wow an Omega! Very nice. Looking forward to the new pics when you get it back.

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:30:26 PM »
Thanks. I've had a grand total of one person who ever made any comment about it, and that was a woman in a jewelry store who spotted it from 20 feet away.  I made an unbelievably uneven trade with a friend who basically wanted someone to wear it who would enjoy it.  He had it trumped with a Rolex, anyway. 
Member #94!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:41:16 PM »
Well, James Bond is wearing Omegas these days, so they might become more recognizable! :D

Offline Dadio

• Whetstone
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »
Actually, I kinda like flying under the radar with the watch, and would rather that Bond had stuck with Rolex.  For what it's worth, my buddy says most people who notice his figure that it's fake.  The guy I sent the Seamaster to sells old, restored Hamiltons. I'm going to have to save up a bit of discretionary spending and pop for one. 
Member #94!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
Actually, I kinda like flying under the radar with the watch, and would rather that Bond had stuck with Rolex.  For what it's worth, my buddy says most people who notice his figure that it's fake.  The guy I sent the Seamaster to sells old, restored Hamiltons. I'm going to have to save up a bit of discretionary spending and pop for one.

Yeah there are certainly more fake Rolex watches out there than the other luxury brands. Everyone's heard of Rolex. But there are some really fine watches out there that wouldn't be noticed by most folks. And the folks who do notice them are the ones who would appreciate them anyway.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »
I don't wear watches, mostly because I don't like anything heavy on my wrists, and partly because I think I'd like to find myself a nice brass pocket watch. Someday.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:51:40 AM »

Being a working stiff and doing rough and tumble work I always wore Timex watches,  since I retired I haven't owned a watch,  at home there are plenty of clocks,  in my cars all I have to do is look at the dash board,  and my  cell phone keeps me pretty well on time otherwise,  in the woods I get up with the sun, eat when i'm hungry, and turn in when I can't keep my eyes open any more.

I don't need no stinking watches.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
I got a probably better than  10 year old Timex I bought it off a buddy he had it a few years before me. I have  worn it  so  much  one half the band broke replaced the battery a couple times but have beat the crap out of it. Best watch I ever had. That being said  nice Invicta kinda  got a thing for wanting one of those myself I'll get a pic of my old beater watch tomorrow
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »
This ranks as one of my most cherished possessions.  My Grandmother got it for me when I turned 25.  I wish I could do justice with the camera, but it's an Illinois Watch Company pocket watch from the railroad.  I believe it's an Engineers watch model as it does not have a hinged cover and the outer perimeter is only marked in 5-minute intervals.

She got it from an original repairman who did the local repairs in Missouri for decades.  I've lost the paper with the information on it or I could tell you more of it's history.  The back cover has been replaced as the serial numbers don't match,  but I believe it started life in 1907.   It has the markings from three people who have worked on it scratched in the rear cover.

Here's a shot of the internal workings with the cover removed

To set the time, you remove the front cover, and raise a lever next to the "2".  This kept it from changing time in your pocket.

Sadly, it stopped working about 20 years ago.  I've wanted to get it repaired, but know of person who sent one out and it was returned without the jewels and many of the internals had been swapped, ruining the value of it.  The guy she bought it from died 5 years after I got it or he would have had it for repairs.

It weighs a ton, and really feels like it's full of history.  I know you can research quite a bit about them and the people who worked on them, but I forget where he told me to find that information....

One of these days, I'll hopefully find a place I can trust to get it repaired.  I'm extremely sentimental and want it working again, but I trust fewer folks these days than ever!  I hate being that way, but it's just how it is anymore.

Thanks for looking!!