Author Topic: Star of Unswydd  (Read 6717 times)

Offline unswydd

• Mill File+
  • Homespun Midwest Gal
Star of Unswydd
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
I went and got a Photobucket account and got some Star of Unswydd pics in there so I could share.
Here you go Woodswoman! Enjoy

http://s1166.photobucket.com/albums/q618/Marsha7712/
"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon."
Thomas Paine

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: Star of Unswydd
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
Very nice. Good to see you again too.

Creek  :chopwood:
Axes Rock!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 06:58:20 PM »
Yay..those are the ones I remember!   Thanks so much!      Have you cooked over them at all?   Do they burn along time and with a spread of flame like that.. can one fry over them ok?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing, very cool.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
Cool beans, excellent idea
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline unswydd

• Mill File+
  • Homespun Midwest Gal
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 07:33:02 PM »
Hi all,
I don't know how to do multiple quotes yet so I'll try to answer all your questions.
Upthecreek, good to see you too!
Thanks for the comments guys!
Woodswoman,
I have cooked over them several times. I will use the smaller coffee can and make a hobo stove out of it and instead of using wood I just slip the "star" in where you would usually put the wood and light it. Set my pan on the clotheshangers I've made as a pot holder and cook away! Creates some soot but I usually use it in the winter and snow takes that off real nice or ivory soap rubbed on my pots keeps it from getting nasty.
Hope this helps.
"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon."
Thomas Paine

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
It sure does!    Now I have to keep in mind to make the hole in the coffee can the right size for a tuna can to fit in there if needed.   I hadnt thought of that.. :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
  • Jontok Bushy Approved 7-30-12
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:27 PM »
I guess I need a class to understand what you have there. 

Candle wax and something else used as fuel for cooking?
Why kill them with kindness when you can use and axe? - found on Facebook

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »
I want to kno how they are made! :D

Very cool!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb.

Offline Trkbusa06

• Whetstone +
Star of Unswydd
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 01:17:09 AM »
I want to kno how they are made! :D

Very cool!

Looks like cardboard and wax?

Offline unswydd

• Mill File+
  • Homespun Midwest Gal
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 06:23:19 AM »
YES!
 It's small strips of cardboard either rolled up or cut and placed in the cat food can or tuna can or the small tea candle tins and then wax poured in. using the cardboard as a wick.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:32:02 AM by unswydd »
Thomas Paine

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Well that's pretty cool. What type of wax/where do you buy it is used?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb.

Offline unswydd

• Mill File+
  • Homespun Midwest Gal
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
well, I use a lot of candles in the winter to save on electricity and I just save all the unused portions until I get enough and then melt it down and use it. I have 2 dedicated pots for this......
Be VERY VERY careful doing this...stay with it for sure! I walked out and left it melting a little too long and caught my kitchen on fire, twice. hehehehe  ended up repainting the kitchen! lol
Thomas Paine

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »
well, I use a lot of candles in the winter to save on electricity and I just save all the unused portions until I get enough and then melt it down and use it. I have 2 dedicated pots for this......
Be VERY VERY careful doing this...stay with it for sure! I walked out and left it melting a little too long and caught my kitchen on fire, twice. hehehehe  ended up repainting the kitchen! lol

Melt the wax in a double boiler and you won't have to re-paint nearly as often 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »

Melt the wax in a double boiler and you won't have to re-paint nearly as often 8)

Now that was funny.

But an excellent tip.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline unswydd

• Mill File+
  • Homespun Midwest Gal
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »

Great tip but It was in a double boiler. lol Still caught fire. I just wont leave it again! YIKES
Thomas Paine

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »
Thanks Unswydd. I had no idea it would ever reach the flash point in a double boiler. That is info I needed to read.

I like your stars better than the tightly coiled cardboard. It isn't as hot and easier to cook with and it's easier to keep adding wax without it spilling over. The tight coil is hard to judge how full it is and I've made a few messes with them.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
I fail to see how wax could ignite in a double boiler where water boils at 212 degrees and the flashpoint of wax is nearly twice that temperature at around 390 degrees.....unless the water boils away :P

(COPIED FROM A CANDLE-MAKING SITE).......
Most paraffin waxes have a flash point around 395?F. When it reaches its flash point it may not smoke or bubble, it will usually just explode, splattering flaming wax in all directions. To avoid this catastrophe, always use the double boiling method to melt your wax. Water boils at 212? F, which is well below the flash point of any paraffin wax.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline unswydd

• Mill File+
  • Homespun Midwest Gal
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
Well, when you walk outside with the dog and forget you have it on the stove (and the water boils away) it will start a fire. Take my word for it! Twice even!
Thomas Paine

Offline unswydd

• Mill File+
  • Homespun Midwest Gal
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
Thanks Unswydd. I had no idea it would ever reach the flash point in a double boiler. That is info I needed to read.

I like your stars better than the tightly coiled cardboard. It isn't as hot and easier to cook with and it's easier to keep adding wax without it spilling over. The tight coil is hard to judge how full it is and I've made a few messes with them.

Yes, the small ones that are coiled tighter are difficult to fill but I like them for backpacking for starting a fire when all I can find is wet or damp wood. They work great! The stars are perfect for warming up with and cooking!
Thomas Paine