Author Topic: We need a review section  (Read 3075 times)

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
We need a review section
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »
I am certain I will use it in the future. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
We need a review section
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
Yeah, why not?
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
Re: We need a review section
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »
I think that would be a good addition to the joint.  Folks do like to review things, and see things reviewed.  Good idea TwinBlade!
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »
thanks man :) I like reviews because in communities like this, they aren't paid for but done out of free will. those make the best reviews IMO. :)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
It would be easy to do. But...

We already have sections for "other outdoor gear", "custom knives" and "production knives".

So I'm wondering if a review section would have threads that could just as easily be posted in those three sections. The goal is to keep the forum as streamlined as possible. As we grow and we have a broader member base with a more diverse set of interests, it is inevitable that we will need to add more specialized boards to accommodate those interests.

A review section would be nice and I think it's a good idea. But the problem then becomes, how do we keep it limited to reviews, should we be posting knife reviews in there if we already have two separate boards for knives, and what if people post their review of a custom knife in the custom knife section? It would still "belong" there so moving it could come across as micromanaging.

We already have a situation with the DIY forum and the other outdoor gear forum, where posts could easily go in either section. The same is true of the hunting and firearms sections. There are a lot of topics that could go in either board. What I want to avoid is board redundancy.

What we can do that might be useful for folks who want to be able to find reviews all in one place, is to start a "review links" thread in the other outdoor gear section. Then whenever someone reviews a piece of gear or a knife in the outdoor gear or either of the knife boards, they can post a link to their review in that thread. All the reviews will have links in a single sticky thread that folks can find easily. This is similar to the tutorials thread we have where people post links to tutorials they have done in a single sticky thread. Whoever posts the thread should also be committed to adding links to new reviews if the authors of those reviews forget to do so.

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
I guess we can let it slide.. for now. LOL  The link idea sounds good to me, PW.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »
It would be easy to do. But...

We already have sections for "other outdoor gear", "custom knives" and "production knives".

So I'm wondering if a review section would have threads that could just as easily be posted in those three sections. The goal is to keep the forum as streamlined as possible. As we grow and we have a broader member base with a more diverse set of interests, it is inevitable that we will need to add more specialized boards to accommodate those interests.

A review section would be nice and I think it's a good idea. But the problem then becomes, how do we keep it limited to reviews, should we be posting knife reviews in there if we already have two separate boards for knives, and what if people post their review of a custom knife in the custom knife section? It would still "belong" there so moving it could come across as micromanaging.

We already have a situation with the DIY forum and the other outdoor gear forum, where posts could easily go in either section. The same is true of the hunting and firearms sections. There are a lot of topics that could go in either board. What I want to avoid is board redundancy.

What we can do that might be useful for folks who want to be able to find reviews all in one place, is to start a "review links" thread in the other outdoor gear section. Then whenever someone reviews a piece of gear or a knife in the outdoor gear or either of the knife boards, they can post a link to their review in that thread. All the reviews will have links in a single sticky thread that folks can find easily. This is similar to the tutorials thread we have where people post links to tutorials they have done in a single sticky thread. Whoever posts the thread should also be committed to adding links to new reviews if the authors of those reviews forget to do so.

You know as well as I do, that a dedicated review board brings people that want to side step and look for the NAME in the post. It could be Estwing, Springfield XDm, Bear Grylls or Merrill and those posts would be spread everywhere on the board and never found. I for one see posts that I never would have found by using the "users online" feature, and if you noticed, it brought some old posts to light and with good discussion.

I enjoy being part of this here, hence my suggestion, and I hope you see it as only that, a suggestion bro. It is your forum. If I felt the need, I would start my own, just as you did, and actually have. I'd rather see you do the work though LOL!. regardless, it is just a thought. :thumbsup:

I know a dedicated "review" board allows for a lot of gravitation. Review being the key word.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »
TB, I hadn't considered that aspect of it. And I can certainly give credit where it's due. :)

So with that said, and in light of this fact I think it would be a good idea. You're spot on about "review" popping up in search engine results. :thumbsup:

Look for a new review board in the general category momentarily. And thanks for the suggestion!

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:07:01 PM »
I just want to see a good thing flourish. I will do my part. :)

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
And,....

We will need a "reply" button to that intro LOL :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
Thanks to TB for suggesting this idea and to PW for bringing it to fruition :thumbsup:

I know I have read things here that I wanted to find again, but never had any luck coming up with, either,........it's frustrating >:( and makes me feel more stupid than I already feel, sometimes :P

This will be a very handy resource and a good feature on the forum, I think :)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Ranger

• Mill File+
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »
Good idea TB!  PW, you could always share the load and make TB responsible for that section!!!!!  It was his idea and no good indea goes unpunished!

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
Good idea TB!  PW, you could always share the load and make TB responsible for that section!!!!!  It was his idea and no good indea goes unpunished!

LOL! You better simmer down :P

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »

LOL! You better simmer down :P

No good deed ever goes unpunished, ya' know O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
I could use some reviews on tarps that dont cost an arm and a leg.. :)     

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.