Author Topic: Building my Everglades Skiff  (Read 53946 times)

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
Re: Building my Everglades Skiff
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »
SwampHanger,

I've really enjoyed this thread, end-to-end. In fact, I found this Forum as a result of an Internet search for information on the Glades skiff. If you have the time, please take a look at my post in the "Introductions" section.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

I notice you did not build the forward seat as shown in Mr. Simmon's description of building the boat in his book. Any reason for that? You also chose not to build the "optional polling platform" either. I thought that it was interesting that he talked about it, and I've seen numerous photos that showed that platform, but not a single picture of anyone actually using it.

I also see where you've gone with plywood sides, instead of planks. Was that due to availability of materials, or something else? Not a criticism, not at all! As I read him, this was not meant to be a specific "plan," but more of a building concept, to be modified by the builder based on use, building method preference, and the availability of local materials.

In fact, I will be building mine with the plank sides because there is a cypress mill about 20 minutes from my house. And part of what interest me is how he built them, so I'll likely try to come fairly close to his methods. For me, that is a large part of the fun.

I see where you've got another thread about building a gear box for your skiff. Might make a pretty good paddling seat, too.

Again, great job with the build! It's a great source of inspiration to me.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
There is no such thing as One True Way.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2013, 02:29:03 PM »
Hi Mike I did not put a seat in it as of yet so I could figure out where it needed to go for balance. As far as the polling platform to me it would be extra weight. The height difference really will not allow you to see much more than standing on the bottom. And considering your size you may or may not be able to pole from that position without a ballast or gear.

Offline FlaMike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
I appreciate your taking the time to reply!

Your reasons for not installing permanent seats makes perfect sense. From looking at different pics of Glen Simmon's boats in use, and from what I think I've learned about small boat building in general, leds me to think that the forward seat in his boats are probably primarily there as a structural member, like the thwarts you've installed in yours.

Just the one up front being fixed, to keep the sides from flexing, the plank transom doing the same job in the back. With plywood sides like you used, I can see where at least two thwarts would be a good idea.

So far, it sounds like you paddle the boat more than poll it. So the position of a seat for paddling really does need to be thought out as you are doing. For me, I'll be polling more than paddling, so a fixed seat (other than the one in the bow,) would just get in the way. For paddling, I'll probably use a wood gear box of some sort that can be put out of the way when polling. (Or stand-up fly fishing!)

Again, you did a great job on that boat. Hope you get a lot of use out of it.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
There is no such thing as One True Way.

Offline John Van Gelder

• Water Stone
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
 SwampHanger

The thing about boat plans is that they are only a representation of someones idea, the beauty of building you own boat is that you end up with what works best for you.  So again a very nice job..