Author Topic: Scroll bar  (Read 9703 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Scroll bar
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:49:22 PM »
Is this something new coming in ?  I've noticed some of my posts have a scrollbar on the right.  Then I noticed other posts have it too lately.    But theres nothing to scroll.. 

Just curious.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
Re: Scroll bar
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Is this something new coming in ?  I've noticed some of my posts have a scrollbar on the right.  Then I noticed other posts have it too lately.    But theres nothing to scroll.. 

Just curious.

WW.

i noticed that when i use internet explorer. i dont have those with firefox. is your monitor wide screen or square?
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »
Old 10 year old monitor. :)   I'm explorer.     Not everyone has that scrollbar tho.  Just noticed it today.

I also noticed how stoned I've been this last week.......  mill stone, something stone and now wet stone...

:) :) :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:19:41 PM »
Old 10 year old monitor. :)   I'm explorer.     Not everyone has that scrollbar tho.  Just noticed it today.

I also noticed how stoned I've been this last week.......  mill stone, something stone and now wet stone...

WW.

the forum is formatted for wide screen resolution monitors. that is probably why. your browser (i.e. explorer) is trying to make the whole page available to you in your resolution settings.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:52:05 AM »

WW.

the forum is formatted for wide screen resolution monitors. that is probably why. your browser (i.e. explorer) is trying to make the whole page available to you in your resolution settings.

That would explain why half of any photo's posted are missing/hidden on the right hand side then :) , i too dont use wide screen, all i did though to fix it was to zoom out by one click, hold down the ctrl key and then press the - key, or turn the scroll wheel on your mouse back one click while holding the ctrl key down - no scroll bars to be seen and everything appears on screen, albeit with slightly smaller text, it's still perfectly legible and clear though

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »
If your monitor can handle it, try increasing the resolution through the display settings. I have mine set on 1024x768 even with a 13" monitor, and rarely have to scroll sideways.

I also noticed that this forum format is different from vBulletin regarding pictures.
I have my PhotoBucket account set to re-size pictures to 800x600. This forum doesn't like that. Even with my settings, they scroll off to the right. I changed my defaults on PB to 640x480, and that size fits very well here.

FWIW.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
Kep.  That was a neat trick you described.  I didnt know I could do that with the ctl. key and wheel on my mouse.     I did go find a post of OP's that had that scrollbar on the right and tried it.  It just made everything including the scroll bar smaller.   I went down to 45% just to try out this new trick.   

I do like the size of the pictures coming in.. with dial-up as slow as mine its nice not to have to wait or go make coffee while waiting for them to come in. :)

WW.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »
pictures seem to be the issue. I try to post all images 600x400.
Axes Rock!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »
I'll see if I can reduce the max image size to 640x480, maybe that will help...

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
Ok, I made the change. I'm not sure if it will effect existing images or only new uploads.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »
Kep.  That was a neat trick you described.  I didnt know I could do that with the ctl. key and wheel on my mouse.     I did go find a post of OP's that had that scrollbar on the right and tried it.  It just made everything including the scroll bar smaller.   I went down to 45% just to try out this new trick.   

I do like the size of the pictures coming in.. with dial-up as slow as mine its nice not to have to wait or go make coffee while waiting for them to come in. :)

WW.
With FireFox, CTRL+<minus key> makes the screen smaller, CTRL+ <plus key> makes it bigger, and CTRL+<zero key> returns to normal resolution.

PW, changing your PB defaults will only affect new uploads there.

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »

WW.

No prob :)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »

WW.
With FireFox, CTRL+<minus key> makes the screen smaller, CTRL+ <plus key> makes it bigger, and CTRL+<zero key> returns to normal resolution.

PW, changing your PB defaults will only affect new uploads there.

I meant changing the forum default to 640x480. The forum should resize larger images to 640x480, but as I said I'm not sure if it will do it for images that were posted prior to the change. (Though I imagine it should).

Is anyone still seeing the scroll bar?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »

I meant changing the forum default to 640x480. The forum should resize larger images to 640x480, but as I said I'm not sure if it will do it for images that were posted prior to the change. (Though I imagine it should).

Is anyone still seeing the scroll bar?
Ah!!!!  I went back and checked some of mine. The original size didn't change.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
It seems some of my older post still have the larger image. I still have the scrolling effect didn't see the bar though but I am using my phone. Have to check on the computer later tonight.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 12:33:12 PM »
Four posts up from this one is Keps..  for me it has a scrollbar on the right. Its blue.  But nothing to scroll.  The movable bar is there but just jiggles up and down.. no scroll room.  (if that makes sense)
Since it looks like theres no picture or anything , I'm not missing out on anything.  I was just wondering what it was about. :)

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »
Must not have anything to do with images then, if it's appearing on posts that don't have them. Hm...

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
ive only seen it happen with internet explorer, on a square 19" monitor. i have a 22" wide screen monitor, and i dont ever have to scroll sideways for anything.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »
No no.. its not to scroll sideways.. its IN some posts right on the edge on the right >>>>>>>>
To scroll up or down. 
Seriously you guys dont see this scrollbar?  Am I the only one?   **getting spooked**

In this perticular topic.. Keps post 8 posts up has one.   So far , his has the only one in this topic.   But not all of his posts have it.   OP's has one in the garden topic...   but not in other places. 

Its just an oddity I guess..   Whoa.. just now when I double spaced to put my WW on ..it showed up in this post.  Lets see if it stays there after I hit enter.

WW.

edit:  nope its gone. 

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »
i know what you are talking about WW, its a vertical scroll bar that doesnt do anything. i was referring to the pic size and having to scroll right or left.

as for the vertical bar you are seeing, that is the one i have seen using IE on a square monitor :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
No no.. its not to scroll sideways.. its IN some posts right on the edge on the right >>>>>>>>
To scroll up or down. 
Seriously you guys dont see this scrollbar?  Am I the only one?   **getting spooked**

In this perticular topic.. Keps post 8 posts up has one.   So far , his has the only one in this topic.   But not all of his posts have it.   OP's has one in the garden topic...   but not in other places. 

Its just an oddity I guess..   Whoa.. just now when I double spaced to put my WW on ..it showed up in this post.  Lets see if it stays there after I hit enter.

WW.

edit:  nope its gone.
If you are running Windows XP, you can right-click your mouse on an empty spot on your Desktop, select Properties down at the bottom of the pop-up screen,  then go to the Settings tab and check your screen resolution. I would suggest 800x600 as a minimum. Mine, even with a small monitor, is set on 1024x768.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »
I just went to look.   I'm set at the same settings you are.    From what I noticed.. I'm not missing out on pictures and this forum fits inside the monitor area with room to spare.   :)

It was just pure curiosity on what the scrollbar was about since it really didnt do anything as far as scrolling.

Thanks OP

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »
I just went to look.   I'm set at the same settings you are.    From what I noticed.. I'm not missing out on pictures and this forum fits inside the monitor area with room to spare.   :)

It was just pure curiosity on what the scrollbar was about since it really didnt do anything as far as scrolling.

Thanks OP

WW.
I DO get a vertical scroll bar inside the text editing window when I'm quoting a long text, or getting long winded myself. <grin>  Like right now.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
You can stretch the text entry box to make it bigger by clicking and dragging the bottom of it down. ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
You can stretch the text entry box to make it bigger by clicking and dragging the bottom of it down. ;)
I found that out awhile back. That's a nice feature.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »
Now see.. PW's post about stretching the box has a verticle scrollbar on the right of it and when I click on it..it just wiggles.   When OP copied and pasted it in his post its gone. 

Such an odd thing. 

And you guys dont see this scrollbar at all?

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
Now see.. PW's post about stretching the box has a verticle scrollbar on the right of it and when I click on it..it just wiggles.   When OP copied and pasted it in his post its gone. 

Such an odd thing. 

And you guys dont see this scrollbar at all?

WW.

Nope, no scroll bars within the topic view for me. I did have them on my really small laptop using firefox. But I changed the browser's zoom settings and it went away.

You could try going to the toolbar at the top of your browser and clicking "view>zoom>zoom out" a time or two and see if the bar disappears.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
I'm getting dizzy...
I always have a vertical scroll bar when viewing a thread, if there's more than one post in it. It allows me to scroll up and down through the thread.  It's also affected by whether my browser window is Full Screen, or Resizable. The scroll bar in the message text window when composing a message is common, unless I stretch the text box like PW stated.  For a scroll bar to appear in a single post, I have to change to a very low screen resolution that only displays part of the message at a time.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »
I'm getting dizzy...
I always have a vertical scroll bar when viewing a thread, if there's more than one post in it. It allows me to scroll up and down through the thread.  It's also affected by whether my browser window is Full Screen, or Resizable. The scroll bar in the message text window when composing a message is common, unless I stretch the text box like PW stated.  For a scroll bar to appear in a single post, I have to change to a very low screen resolution that only displays part of the message at a time.

I think this is what's happening, either that or the browser zoom settings are zoomed in too far.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
Ok..wheres that trick to take a screen shot.. ??   I'll have to take one to show ya. :)

WW.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
Hold down [ctrl] and hit [printscreen]. Then open MS
Paint and paste, and you will have a screen shot image there. From there you can save it and upload to photobucket.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
Hold down [ctrl] and hit [printscreen]. Then open MS
Paint and paste, and you will have a screen shot image there. From there you can save it and upload to photobucket.
Or install Gadwin PrintScreen. Fantastic program! I've been using it for about 10 years.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
Whoa.. how long has THAT key been there on my keyboard??    Mmm...  Do you know how many times I could have USED that button over the last 10 years?  LOL

Ok..see PW's post?  Its got that tiny lil scrollbar thing right next to his typing on the right.  (not the main page scroll).   

This is just to show you guys.   Its not really hurting anything.  I just thought it was odd I could see that and not others.

WW

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
Wow, that is strange. I wish I knew definitively what was causing that.  :-[

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 12:17:54 AM »
PW..  I think I figgered it out.....   :)       The Scrollbar thing is in the posts if they have smileys in them.    Not all.. but if Some folks put a smiley in their posts that scrollbar is there.   I went looking in alot of posts and 99% of the smileys ones has the scrollbar.   

Hows that for detective work?   ha ha

I know your busy with purtyin' the place up..but just wanted to let you know my findings.  :)

WW.