Author Topic: Bow Drill Bearing Block  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
Bow Drill Bearing Block
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »
Following this post that I made on my blog back in January of this year, i eventually got round to finishing off these blocks today.

As you can see from the picture, I've made two shallow depressions in the stones, that will provide a place for the top of the bow drill spindle to sit in, to begin with i use a little Tung Oil in the depressions and with use the spindle top polishes the depression and as a result the block becomes almost frictionless.

A little bit more on the bearing block story can be found here http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2011/09/stone-bearing-block.html

I often wonder what future archaeologists will think, when they find pebbles such as the ones pictured with depressions in them a few huindred/thousand year from now. :D

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: Bow Drill Bearing Block
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »
Thanks for the post Kep. I been looking for a piece of soap stone (we're suppose to have some around here) to make me a block out of. Never thought I'd wear out a piece of antler.
Axes Rock!

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
I don't have the right stones around me, it's mostly all shale - which is great for fossils, not so great for bearing blocks, hehe.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:15:13 PM »
Those are nice.

I've been meaning to make one my self.

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:35:58 PM »
Good stuff, Kep!  Ya gotta love the Dremel.  It sure beats poking holes in leather with an awl.  What type of bit did you use to make the divot?
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »
That does look quite a bit nicer than the ball bearing versions, and is probably at least as good as using a shot glass.

To polish the inside in a hurry, maybe after forming the divot with the Dremel tool, you could chuck up a dowel in an electric drill and add some valve lapping compound to the hole, followed by Tripoli compound or something to make it really slick.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »
Neat idea wonder if the  rock i just  broke a chunk off out in my woods today will work for this. was gonna take a pick of it but damn batteries died on me LOL
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »
[quote author=Kep link=topic=282.msg4223#msg4223 date=1329844885
I often wonder what future archaeologists will think, when they find pebbles such as the ones pictured with depressions in them a few huindred/thousand year from now. :D
[/quote]

I bet they'd think "what a strange society it must have been that had at their disposal advanced power tools only to use them to make a primitive hand tool"  ???

Just messing with ya but they'd be right as we are a strange breed us bushcrafters and I am proud of it.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
  What type of bit did you use to make the divot?

10mm Masonry drill bit in my drill, but with the hammer action turned off, if you dont turn it off the rocks can shatter

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:16:52 AM »
Thanks Kep!
Is there such a thing as too many knives?