Author Topic: Wooden Flowers  (Read 7125 times)

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
Wooden Flowers
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:34:41 AM »
Been a busy boy again making a shed load of Gypsy Flowers for a couple of local shows I'm due to attend in the near future.

All of the ones pictured are made from Hazel with Willow stems, these don't take long to make once you have the technique down and look absolutely amazing, the ones pictured are about a third of what i have available to me "in stock", so to speak to take to the shows.

If you look closely at the photo, you will see different flower styles,  this is down to the technique used to create the flowers. The ones that go wrong?, well,  i don't throw them away, i put them to one side and use them as tinder & kindling to get a fire going

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Wooden Flowers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
Those are so cool looking!  The stem is the actual wood you started with?   Can a person dye them with a light coloring?    I think your going to sell alot of those.. :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »
Very neat!
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »
Those are so cool looking!  The stem is the actual wood you started with?   Can a person dye them with a light coloring?    I think your going to sell alot of those.. :)

WW.

Thanks WW, the base of the rosette is drilled and then a narrower piece of wood is glued in place, ive dyed a few with food colouring and they look great, the problem is that in this sterile world we now live in, some people are allergic to the dyes, so i offer it as an aside.

These are one of my best sellers, one show last year that i went to i took 50 flowers and sold the lot in two hours :D

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:16:04 AM »
Ok.. now I'm goin to be snoopy.   What other things do you make for your sales?   

I have the opportunity to do a table at the local small farmers market and have been carving all winter to get some inventory built up.    Mostly santa's, snowmen, and cottonwood bark fairy homes.   When it warms up a bit more I'll be out by the picnic table working on walking sticks.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »
i make all sorts of things, flowers, spoons, spatulas, bowls, furniture, leather bags (draw string type), wooden fans, fan birds, wood spirits, bow drill sets and a few more odds and sods besides :)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
I went to take a peek at your blog.   WOW.    I do love those spoons you make.   I havent tried my hand at carving those yet.   I have a book on them..so I should just get busy and try one.

Did you ever get a bowl out of that ash burl?   I  have alot of ash here in my woods and one tree has a burl about the size of a bathtub.   I keep going to look after a storm to see if that tree has fallen yet.  :)   

WW.

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »
I went to take a peek at your blog.   WOW.    I do love those spoons you make.   I havent tried my hand at carving those yet.   I have a book on them..so I should just get busy and try one.

Did you ever get a bowl out of that ash burl?   I  have alot of ash here in my woods and one tree has a burl about the size of a bathtub.   I keep going to look after a storm to see if that tree has fallen yet.  :)   

WW.

Thanks for the kind commenst WW

Ive not started ont he Burl yet, im hoping ot be able to do that next week when it's a bit warmer, i like to work on stuff like that outside so i have room to move around the work piece, kjeep you posted on it though

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:49 AM »
Very cool!! Nice job. Love to see some dyed ones.
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »
Very cool!  Good work!
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »
Very nice work Mark!  I'm still dazzled at those fan birds you make!!!!!

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:20:56 PM »
i am always amazed in your talent Kep. i am pretty good with a knife compared to most people, but you just blow me out of the water. as always man, Fantastic :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Kep

• Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:04 AM »
thanks for the comments guys, i was hoping to be in the woods today, but my oppo has done his back in, so I will spend the day getting some projects finished off - hopefully

@ Dano, i might be making some more of those soon, i tend to make them to order these days as they can be a pain to store being so fragile