Author Topic: DUTCH OVEN ACCESSORIES  (Read 32181 times)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Re: DUTCH OVEN ACCESSORIES
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
Kinda off topic, but here's that pork butt I smoked today. Unfortunately, I've got to go to a family outing in a few minutes, but it will be waiting for me on the smoker when I get back home.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »
If I lived closer, you wouldn't leave it there I'll bet! >:D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
If I lived closer, you wouldn't leave it there I'll bet! >:D

I've got my guard dog Lab Dakota standing by to fend off any intruders. Of course, she'd have first dibs...

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »
Well, it looks like the link to the aluminum cooking pliers in my last post (#49) has died, too. :'(

HOWEVER, the old faithful Boy Scout supply source, www.scoutstuff.org has once again brought the original version of these very handy cooking pliers back once again.  Don't miss out on this run of them....you never know when they'll disappear again! >:(

http://www.scoutstuff.org/hot-pot-tongs.html

:tent:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:19:48 PM by wolfy »

Offline Electric Cowboy

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »
Wolfy, Good stuff. I like to keep a pair of Welding Gloves in the bag.
Deus Vult

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2015, 07:58:19 PM »
Good idea! :thumbsup:

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
Most of my cookware is cast iron and copper, though I have a couple modern layered SS pots too. My first Dutch Oven was scavenged, I found an old one that had been used as a planter for a couple of years, it still had it's lid. I had to take it down to the metal and resurface it. I used it for years until Debbie's brother somehow acquired it.

I like the copper wool type scrubbers for cast iron, they level the surface and help to cut down on too much build up, which can make a less than flat surface if allowed to get away from you.

Lately I've been unable to get the copper scrubbers at local shops. This last rendezvous I was BSing around the fire with a guy and we got on the subject of making jumprings and chain mail. I got to thinking about the copper chains I made out of various gauges of wire and wondered if I made a copper jumpring chain male piece I bet it would be a great cast iron scrubber.

Ha!!! it does.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:32 PM »
Cool.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »
I use a home made bamboo brush, actually I made it to clean my woks but it works great on my cast iron overs and pans, but I do like the idea of the copper scrubber for something more aggressive for the food buildup.   I'll see if I can find them in my area.   Thanks.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »
The problem is the copper scrubbers I've come across recently are plated steel, a bit too aggressive, you might as well use stainless steel.

The nice thing about the copper chain mail is it's so easy to keep clean. I made this one from jump rings I already had made up. I would like to make it a 5" X 5" square.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »
Years ago I had the ambitious idea to make an entire chain mail shirt. I got about as far as your pot scrubber and gave up. There were just too many other projects to work on. I still have the scrap I made in a box somewhere.

That is good to know about the plated steel scrubbers. I have heard of people using the copper ones to get leading out of gun barrels but I wouldn't want to try that with a plated steel one.

In any case, the chain mail scrubber looks nice, and the pot roast looks even better!

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2015, 06:55:46 PM »
These copper scrubbers are pretty labor intense, but they work great. I used it this last weekend camping at Rainbow Springs SP and have been using it around the house on my regular cast iron cookware. I've made up two so far with enough jump rings to make mayber two more. I've stripped about 20 feet of grounded 14 gauge indoor wire for 60 feet of wire that has been processed into jump rings.

It's a little like weaving with copper "o)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
Any chance you could put up a short tut one day showing how you start off making that hush?
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »
I pretty much used this youtube video, though I've been making the jump rings for years, I use a steel rod rather than a wooden dowel rod like the guy in the youtube video, and I cut the rings with a jewelers saw to get a cleaner close on the rings.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2015, 08:39:26 PM »
Well I'll  be, that almost looks easy.... but I can see how it would  be time consuming to open then close each link. Thanks for the video hush, appreciate it.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2015, 12:33:03 AM »
I bet a dab of lead free silver solder would make them nearly indestructible.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2015, 06:44:43 AM »
In the video he's using a set of small bolt cutters, that makes it go a little quicker than cutting them with the jeweler's saw. I've made a lot of chain and jumprings from copper and they don't part very easily.

See how tight the rings come together after being cut with a jeweler's saw.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2015, 08:50:06 PM »
Can anyone offer reasons why a cheap square point shovel with neatly spaced holes drilled wouldn't make an easier to craft alternative to Wolfy's version? I like the idea but I don't have a welder yet. What size holes and spacing do you think would work?

I am a fry-bake fan. I have had their small skillet, mini oven for awhile. I recently got the 10", pliers, and spatula. The pliers and spatula are pretty cool. I don't care for plain aluminum much, but hard anodized may well be my favorite outdoor cookware, other than CI. The frybake is USA made, high quality kit as the price reflects. The only problem is the small is small, especially for baking but is fine as a solo skillet/plate. And the large is pretty large. Why am I a fan? I don't know, but if they made a deep, medium size I could tell you why.

That one, River"something" grill looks neat-o in the pic. I'm going to keep an eye out for that. I have a cheapo lid lifter from Academy, a few pieces from an old habachi grill, not too many accessories to add to the discussion. I appreciate the advice on the tripod too. Not that I was heading out to get one, I like the uprights and horizontal support in my imagination. What is the name for those? I want/need something longer lasting than a few sticks. Good stuff folks. I enjoyed it.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »
I noticed that the picture of that shovel that I copied in the first post in the thread has gone 'stale' and may not last much longer.  Here's a better one, straight from the manufacturer....

http://www.toolite.com/

Works great for sifting hot coals from the ashes in a firepit, before transferring to the D.O. lid. :banana:

Make your own out of a cheap shovel. :thumbsup:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2015, 10:56:18 AM »
I found on ebay a "charcoal shovel" maybe it said scoop. I was as if it were made of heavy gauge wire which passed through a formed block that held the wire to shovel shape.

It wasn't cheap, but not all that expensive. What I didn't like was it had a short handle

Eventually I will find the right starter head
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »
I found on ebay a "charcoal shovel" maybe it said scoop. I was as if it were made of heavy gauge wire which passed through a formed block that held the wire to shovel shape.

It wasn't cheap, but not all that expensive. What I didn't like was it had a short handle

Eventually I will find the right starter head
Read post #1......make your own.  Cheaper & better! :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2015, 04:30:36 PM »
I don't own any of these yet, but they have been given good marks from some that have.  Protection from 625 degree temperatures would negate the need for any other mechanical pot hooks in picking up Dutch ovens by the bail or lid handle. :thumbsup:

http://shop.grillbeast.com/products/beastarmor/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:18:31 AM by wolfy »

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2015, 05:29:51 PM »
We bought a good sized DO to camp with but have used this very little.  I made a tripod trivet to hold the lid while you are fiddling with the contents of the pot.  It keeps the dirt out of the food.  You can also use it to sit the DO on it to elevate it over a fire.  I forged it out of one solid piece of steel 1" x 1/4" x 10".  The other item is a lid lifter I forged out of some 1/4" square rod.  Yeah, I used my Lincoln hot glue gun to put it together.

I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
Those are really cool Max!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »
I found this video that Kent Rollins did on his favorite tools for Dutch oven cooking.  He has been cooking out of the back of an original Studebaker chuck wagon down in Oklahoma for decades and runs a school for neophyte Dutch oven wranglers, too.  Anyway, I thought it was interesting that many of the tools that we have suggested here in this thread are his favorites, also.  Check out his shovel.....needs more holes, IMHO. 8)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
Thanks Wolfy. I camp with his cousin but Kent's name has been escaping me. I made a preliminary shovel with 6 foot handle (big, hot, fires) but never got the holes in it. I donated it to the camp, but hopefully next time I see it, it will have some holes.

Actually as he and I were discussing it last weekend I also said I think it needed more holes than what he was saying. We will see.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »
wolfy suggested I put this here, too.

Here's their web site:  www.campmaid.com

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2015, 02:46:23 PM »
That is just slicker than snot on a glass doorknob!  And at $70 it is about half of what I guessed it would cost.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »
That is really cool. I'll definately be picking one of those up. Thanks for the link.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »
I received a notice that Kent Rollins has a new video out on cooking out of the back of a chuck wagon in a traditional 'cow camp' and figured some of you guys might enjoy seeing it, too.  :shrug:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »
We just ordered one of these on the big Amazon Prime sale the other day.....a REALLY good deal compared to the regular price.  They still have a few left and the $90.04 price tag will not hold for long, so strike now while the iron is hot  8),  or forever hold your peace.....

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-A5-7-Dutch-Cooking-Table/dp/B0008G2W1Q

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
I've been looking at those for a few years now.  Seems it would be a great back saver.  Hope you do a review when you cook something on it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »
We just ordered one of these on the big Amazon Prime sale the other day.....a REALLY good deal compared to the regular price.  They still have a few left and the $90.04 price tag will not hold for long, so strike now while the iron is hot  8),  or forever hold your peace.....

One of the reviewers said he paid $212 for the table previously.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »
I'd love to have one of those tables, but I know that it would not get enough use to justify the even modest expense.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2018, 11:34:38 PM »
Now at $88.24
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2018, 05:37:18 AM »
Well I just couldn't help myself... I ordered one at 88 bucks and a carrier to haul it in. Great deal!

And now you can borrow mine Sam.  Haha
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:46:16 AM by madmax »
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2018, 06:02:33 AM »
I have a couple and they work well, especially around here when it is windy. They break down real easy and are quick to set up. It sure beats using cinder blocks.
Nice matters

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2018, 06:06:04 AM »

One of the reviewers said he paid $212 for the table previously.

I cant believe the reviewer paid 212 dollars for a lodge dutch oven table. The last one I bought at sportsmans warehouse, maybe seven years ago, was eighty or so dollars.
Nice matters

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2018, 06:56:45 AM »
the pork roast photo made me drool.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »
Well I just couldn't help myself... I ordered one at 88 bucks and a carrier to haul it in. Great deal!

Unbeknownst to me, Heather ordered the carrier, too.....$16 ain't too bad of a price for the convenience of keeping the ash and black gunk out of the car trunk and off of everything else when we cook out at the state park.  I doubt that we could even make one for that price. :shrug:

I just checked the price on the table again....$86.48!   

Only 10 left......better hurry!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2018, 12:06:10 PM »
Did you see all the impulse deals when you ordered?   It took everything I had to resist blowing some big bucks.  But yeah that carrier was a great deal too.  Glad I got that.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
Got my table in today.  SOLID herniator.   I'm happy.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2018, 06:36:09 PM »
I got mine day before yesterday, but the box looked like it had been dragged behind the UPS truck to get it here.:-\     I expected it to be bunged up, but it survived unscathed.....there are a couple of bolts missing from the fold-up legs, though.  :shrug:     That seems to be a common complaint from the 1 & 2 Star dudes on the Amazon reviews list, but they won't be hard to replace and 'so what,' I saved more than $50 over the regular price! :thumbsup:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2018, 04:04:47 AM »
Hey wolfy,  I found the one missing bolt and nut floating around the shipping box.  If you haven't thrown yours away you might check that first.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Tony......and I did, but there were so many holes in the box that I?m thinkin' it's rattling around in the bottom of the Chinese cargo shipping container it came over in.  :rolleyes: