Author Topic: DUTCH OVEN ACCESSORIES  (Read 45656 times)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: DUTCH OVEN ACCESSORIES
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2019, 10:57:13 PM »
Well I just couldn't help myself... I ordered one at 88 bucks and a carrier to haul it in. Great deal!

And now you can borrow mine Sam.  Haha
Good move, Max!  They're at $111 now almost a year later.  That CampMate D.O. kit has gone from $70 to $99!

I'm a cheap hick from Montana. Here's my lid lifter....

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2019, 10:04:30 AM »
LOL.  The crowbar and the sledge hammer are my favorite tools.  I have several of both.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
Remember that shovel I was talking about in post #1?  Well, it appears that Cowboy Ken Rollins (the YouTube chuck wagon cook) has come over here to B&B, pirated my idea & made another corny video of the process. :duel:   Nonetheless, the video illustrates how to go about making one of your very own....proving that a picture is, once again, worth a thousand words! :shrug:

The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2019, 03:17:17 PM »
It's been said that there is no such thing as an original though....
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
This is an old thread, but there isn't a better place to post without starting a new one.  A neighbor lady called me yesterday and told me her son wants a Dutch oven & the necessary accoutrements for his Christmas present this year.  The accessory lid lifter is a personal preference type of thing, but I suggested the Cadillac of all mechanical lid lifters.....the 22'' Mair.  This morning I went to their website and discovered that the guy that makes them has ceased production! :shocked: :doh:

After watching Cowboy Kent Rollins' video on lid lifters, it sounds like the alternative choices boil down to the copies made by Lodge & Camp Chef.  The Lodge, which one would think would be the better choice, has it's problems in design, but the Camp Chef copy comes as close to any to the original Mair design. 

The other option is to just copy the Mair design and weld one up yourself....since they are out of production, the patented design should be free to copy to all.  That's probably the option I'd choose if I didn't already own two Mairs....a 22'' and a 14.''      If you cook on the ground, the longer one works best and if you cook on a table, the 14'' is the way to go.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX