Author Topic: The Penny 2.0  (Read 5002 times)

Offline RBM

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
  • Philippians 4:13
    • YouTube Channel
The Penny 2.0
« on: August 31, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
Alcohol stoves have been discussed here before. This one is a lightweight backpacker stove. The big problem with this one was inserting the burner in the cup to get a good seal so zig in another post suggested taking a full soft drink can and forcing it into the cup to expand the cup mouth after the cup has been heated. This worked and I have had fewer sealing failures along with keeping the dimples (indentations) of the burner small. The cup has air in it when expanding the mouth creating a kind of suction when trying to pull the cup from the full can that can lead to cup deformation. But if carefully twisted off, cup deformation can be avoided. One other suggestion on another site was filling the cup with water and then expand the cup mouth without deforming the cup but this did not work for me as expansion needs heat to work effectively. I have made a number of these soft drink can aluminum stoves and they do work well. I use 91% rubbing alcohol or Isopropyl and have not had any bubbling or splashing problems though I would not recommend using rubbing alcohol with higher water content. Unburned fuel can be poured off for reuse with this stove. The penny is what makes it self-regulating. A cheap neat stove with good performance so long as all the dimensional and operating guidelines for the stove, stand, simmer ring, and pot stand are met.

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/penny2.html

The stove is fragile so I put it in a small plastic food container (such as the one below) along with a folded sheet of aluminum foil used for a heat/wind shield.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-TakeAlongs-2-Cup-Twist-Seal-Food-Storage-Container/16408625

An 8 oz. juice bottle like this one below for holding the Alcohol or just use the original 16 oz. alcohol bottle.

http://www.arrowplastic.com/store/catalog.asp?item=143
Robert

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
Re: The Penny 2.0
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 03:41:35 AM »
Nice project for me to do with my little one. Thanks for the link and idea.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 05:52:25 AM »
If you only need to carry enough fuel for one or two burns, an energy shot bottle works great and takes up hardly any room.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline RBM

• Whetstone +
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
Quote from: Wilderbeast
If you only need to carry enough fuel for one or two burns, an energy shot bottle works great and takes up hardly any room.

I will give this a "shot." ;D Thanks, Mike. It does say not to use rubbing alcohol in the link due to water content for bubbling and splashing problems but higher alcohol percentage such as Swans 99% or the 91% has worked well for me with no problems. I would not use any below that percentage unless I had to. Isopropyl does burn dirtier though than the more expensive cleaner burning denatured alcohols but it also has a higher BTU rating than denatured. STP Heet is another fuel mentioned but also more expensive.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:28:06 AM by RBM »
Robert

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:29:13 AM »
Quote from: Wilderbeast

I will give this a "shot." ;D Thanks, Mike. It does say not to use rubbing alcohol in the link due to water content for bubbling and splashing problems but higher alcohol percentage such as Swans 99% or the 91% has worked well for me with no problems. I would not use any below that percentage unless I had to. Isopropyl does burn dirtier though than the more expensive cleaner burning denatured alcohols but it also has a higher BTU rating than denatured. STP heat is another fuel mentioned but also more expensive.

If you are over the legal drinking age, everclear vodka at 180 proof burns clean, is non toxic and can be used for "medicinal" purposes.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »
Why not just use Heet or any gas line anti-freeze from Walmart......probab ly cheaper, too :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline RBM

• Whetstone +
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57:46 AM »
Quote from: wolfy
Why not just use Heet or any gas line anti-freeze from Walmart......probab ly cheaper, too

I have not tried all the available fuel types in it yet. Thanks, wolfy. There is a fuel efficiency comparison in the Penny link above. But not a price comparison. I found one price comparison in this blog below.

http://backpackbasecamp.blogspot.com/2010/05/backpacking-alcohol-stove-fuel.html

However the price of 91% Isopropyl around $1.24 or $1.48 for 16 oz. is not bad.

This stove makes a good cheap backup to my butane/propane camper stove for emergencies like hurricanes. I can cook char on it too. :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:09:47 AM by RBM »
Robert

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 05:33:30 AM »
Why not just use Heet or any gas line anti-freeze from Walmart......probab ly cheaper, too :shrug:

The only safe fuel is denatured alcohol,  rubbing alcohol cotains water which as has been said can act up pretty violently and cause splattering that can burn the skin or eyes.
   Heat (red or yellow containers) gas line anti-freeze releases toxic agents when it burns,  many think that as long as it's being used outside it's safe,  but given the nature of cooking on these small stoves we do tend to get pretty close to them when cooking.
   You have to ask yourself how much your health is worth,  the price difference or savings between a bottle of Heat and a can of real denatured alcohol is not enough to risk health issues in the future.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »

The only safe fuel is denatured alcohol,  rubbing alcohol cotains water which as has been said can act up pretty violently and cause splattering that can burn the skin or eyes.
   Heat (red or yellow containers) gas line anti-freeze releases toxic agents when it burns,  many think that as long as it's being used outside it's safe,  but given the nature of cooking on these small stoves we do tend to get pretty close to them when cooking.
   You have to ask yourself how much your health is worth,  the price difference or savings between a bottle of Heat and a can of real denatured alcohol is not enough to risk health issues in the future.

Sounds like I need to get one of those Russian gas masks from Sportsman's Guide :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline RBM

• Whetstone +
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »
Quote from: Moe M.
rubbing alcohol cotains water which as has been said can act up pretty violently and cause splattering that can burn the skin or eyes.

That is true and it does say not to use rubbing alcohol in the link due to water content for bubbling and splashing problems but higher alcohol percentage such as Swans 99% or the 91% has worked well for me with no problems. I would not use any below that percentage unless I had to.
Robert

Offline RBM

• Whetstone +
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 08:33:36 PM »
Found an even better plastic twist top container for the stove and foil at Michaels. Just the right size called a Recollections Twistainer in the 9 fl. oz. size for about two bucks. Much smaller than the Rubbermaid TakeAlong.
Robert