Author Topic: Elk Wallet  (Read 4093 times)

Offline itsbaker

• Mill File+
Elk Wallet
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
Here is a wallet I made for myself out of leather.  I have seen several places on the web those knives ship free wallet deals which will hold an izula and some cards.  I wanted to combine as much of the stuff I actually carry into a wallet type deal.  This is what I came up with...

It is elk which I got at a local bead and leather shop. 
I left the left and the bottom sides as they were to serv as a makeshift strop.  Holds a handful of cards and cash on back and will take a DC4 and a Vic huntsman or three layer alox.  I love this thing and it cost me 15 dollars to make two.  The first was terrible but this second one is not half bad.  I look forward to using it for several years. 
Cheers.

Offline bradleybuckman

• Whetstone +
Re: Elk Wallet
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
Good job. I've always liked the idea of those pocket sheaths since I first saw them on KSF's website. The nice thing about making your own is that you can fully customize it to carry exactly what you want.
My ambition is handicapped by laziness.

Offline itsbaker

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:02:10 PM »
Not nearly as nice looking as the ksf but it works.  It also keeps me from having a knife, dc4, credit card holder, sak classic, and leatherman micra from floating around all pockets.  All just tucked nice and neat together.

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:08 AM »
Haven't seen that before but I really like that idea. Do you carry it in the back or front pocket? Is it comfortable to wear?
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline itsbaker

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »
I can't do the wallet in the back pocket. I wear it in a front pocket. I didn't really need the little front pocket for micra but I had plenty of leather. It's about the size of any wallet I have ever had. It's comfortable and about 3/4 of an inch thick. I just liked the idea of a place to keep my sak and my dc4. I imagine it would ride fine in a back pocket and its secure for most all of the items

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »
I hear ya. I hate just trowing a SAK or similar in a pocket. I might have to try this.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline itsbaker

• Mill File+
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 03:25:44 PM »
I have a smartphone and this,stuff scratches the screen so its a big help.

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »
double post
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb.

Offline TwinBlade

• Whetstone +
  • One Nation, Under God
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »
Not nearly as nice looking as the ksf but it works.  It also keeps me from having a knife, dc4, credit card holder, sak classic, and leatherman micra from floating around all pockets.  All just tucked nice and neat together.

great work man. As far as what is on ksf, I would take anything made like what you did over anything shrapshooter made in a heartbeat. I look at the quality of person making the goods as opposed to the goods themselves and have returned a TON of sheaths for warranty regarding stitching and gluing issues. I have no use for what ksf sells, but I do like what you made. A lot. Very functional. :)

Keep up the good work :)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well-armed lamb.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Re: Elk Wallet
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 11:10:29 PM »
I have a smartphone and this,stuff scratches the screen so its a big help.

Same here. I made a little leather pouch for my sak to protect it from my keys and to protect my phone from it, depending on which pocket the sak ends up in. Nice little rig! :)

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:18:34 AM »
Very nice, did you get the leather from that place on I-65 service road, next to that tattoo shop?
I've been meaning to check that place out.
Take it easy,
Red