Author Topic: Surplus Mess Kits... AND a discussion on cream corn and runny eggs! :)  (Read 26404 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Surplus Mess Kits... AND a discussion on cream corn and runny eggs! :)
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
Ok, whats the difference from Jam to Marmalade?    Going through these cookbooks recently I've seen alot of recipes asking for orange marmalade as glazes on meat.    Especially pork and chicken.

Is it chunkier?   

WW.
Hmmm. I dunno about the comparison between jam and marmelade. We always just referred to the orange stuff (with peels in it) as 'marmelade' and everything else as 'jam'.

Mum was a Brit, and I know marmelade on toast was a big deal at our house growing up. I still love marmelade!

Scones and marmelade: breakfast comfort food.

Hey Dubs... You make me hungry. :D

Kan,  I loves Marmalade,  and it works well with pork as well as chicken.

(sorry about the highjacking of your thread)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
LOL I know what is killing me; it is just a matter of if something else beats it to the punch.

Shepherds Pie does not know my address :D  I married a Canuck and broke her of her evil ways before I let her in my house.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
Hahaha! I love the turn this thread has taken!

Moe's got all our Canuky secrets... some inside info happenin' there! :D

Ahhh... Shep's pie... A staple up here and cream corn is excellent in it as well, and very commonly done, especially among the French Canadians, who by the way, makes the best meat pies you EVER want to taste. French Canadians eat really, really well. They brought us poutine, afterall, and what's better than French fries, gravy and cheese curds?!? Nothing man, nothing! It'll kill ya... BUT WHAT A WAY TO GO!!!

Everyone up here has to have at least one French Canadian friend...

WW1, our crazy Canuk food is how we keep people from filling up all our empty land. Of course, folks keep stealin' all our good women... ;) :thumbsup:

Great thread all!

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »
LOL I know what is killing me; it is just a matter of if something else beats it to the punch.

Shepherds Pie does not know my address :D  I married a Canuck and broke her of her evil ways before I let her in my house.

Yup,  they are trained early in the ways that make men think they're in control,  you're being managed just like the rest of us,  your not recognizing it just points to how well she learned.   :)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »
Hahaha! I love the turn this thread has taken!

Moe's got all our Canuky secrets... some inside info happenin' there! :D

Ahhh... Shep's pie... A staple up here and cream corn is excellent in it as well, and very commonly done, especially among the French Canadians, who by the way, makes the best meat pies you EVER want to taste. French Canadians eat really, really well. They brought us poutine, afterall, and what's better than French fries, gravy and cheese curds?!? Nothing man, nothing! It'll kill ya... BUT WHAT A WAY TO GO!!!

Everyone up here has to have at least one French Canadian friend...

WW1, our crazy Canuk food is how we keep people from filling up all our empty land. Of course, folks keep stealin' all our good women... ;) :thumbsup:

Great thread all!

KK

Fromage ou Grain,  Raggue de pat de cochon,  Boudin (blood sausage),  Ears of christ,  Pork Pies,  Shepard's pie,  and Fricassee du Poule to name a few.

KK can you tell me what Pain Perdu is ?    :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »
I know, I know :banana:................... ...but its the boudin that makes me swoon :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »
I know, I know :banana:................... ...but its the boudin that makes me swoon :drool:

I didn't know you were a Canadian Manque.   :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »

There's much that you do not know about... Wolfy, International Gourmond of Mystery :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »

There's much that you do not know about... Wolfy, International Gourmond of Mystery :drool:

You've got me there my friend,  Your name says MN.  but you hail from NE,  and you talk like Quebec,  you truely are a man of mystery.   :)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »

There's still a couple of butcher shops and one Super Market in my area that sell Boudin fresh made,  good stuff.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »

Fromage ou Grain,  Raggue de pat de cochon,  Boudin (blood sausage),  Ears of christ,  Pork Pies,  Shepard's pie,  and Fricassee du Poule to name a few.

Now hold on there... that's quite a dallop of French there, mon ami! ;)  You're calling down some culture on our backsides... :thumbsup:

Pain is bread.  Perdu is lost... or so they say... Lost Bread.  A quick peek at the innerwebs tells me it's french toast.  I LOVE french toast.  You guys have that down there, eh?

Man, we talk about food a lot on here, don't we?

And this next bit... someone needs to 'splain me this, 'cause I sho 'nuff don't get it... (is it a whippersnapper thing again, Wolfy?):

You've got me there my friend,  Your name says MN.  but you hail from NE,  and you talk like Quebec,  you truely are a man of mystery.   :)
:shrug:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 08:11:43 AM »

Now hold on there... that's quite a dallop of French there, mon ami! ;)  You're calling down some culture on our backsides... :thumbsup:

Pain is bread.  Perdu is lost... or so they say... Lost Bread.  A quick peek at the innerwebs tells me it's french toast.  I LOVE french toast.  You guys have that down there, eh?

And this next bit... someone needs to 'splain me this, 'cause I sho 'nuff don't get it... (is it a whippersnapper thing again, Wolfy?):

Do we have french toast,  as a kid growing up breakfast in our home had french toast or creps included at least 5 days a week,  also,  Canadian bacon,  homefries made with onion,  and eggs,  either sunny side up or over easy,  and an imperial pint can of Canadian Maple Syrup usually sat in the middle of the table,  right next to it was a block of Maple Sugar for scraping onto the creps for those who liked it that way.
  But my best breakfasts ever were at the Sugar Houses for the Festival in the early spring,  one in particular was in Iberville,  between Marieville and St. Johns,    those were grand times.

Now what was it you didn't understand about the exchange between Wolft and me ?

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 01:24:45 PM »

Do we have french toast,  as a kid growing up breakfast in our home had french toast or creps included at least 5 days a week,  also,  Canadian bacon,  homefries made with onion,  and eggs,  either sunny side up or over easy,  and an imperial pint can of Canadian Maple Syrup usually sat in the middle of the table,  right next to it was a block of Maple Sugar for scraping onto the creps for those who liked it that way.
  But my best breakfasts ever were at the Sugar Houses for the Festival in the early spring,  one in particular was in Iberville,  between Marieville and St. Johns,    those were grand times.

Mostly the big words you guys were using.  I had to look them up. "Gourmond", "Manque" like that.  I think I got the gist of it, except maybe the MN/NE thing.

But those crepes sure sound good!

Did you hear about the maple syrup stolen from Quebec?

Read about it here, if you like: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/08/31/montreal-maple-syrup-theft.html

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »

Mostly the big words you guys were using.  I had to look them up. "Gourmond", "Manque" like that.  I think I got the gist of it, except maybe the MN/NE thing.

But those crepes sure sound good!

Did you hear about the maple syrup stolen from Quebec?

Read about it here, if you like: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/08/31/montreal-maple-syrup-theft.html

That's too bad about the Maple Syrup,  but since it's gone,  I hope it finds it's way south.  :)

Check your PM's.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
Done, thanks!

Yeah, it's a sticky situation.... :D

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:26 AM »
Done, thanks!

Pun intended, I assume.   :)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »
Done, thanks!

Yeah... that's my maple syrup pun. :)

Pun intended, I assume.   :)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
A lot of those recipes must have found their way to Louisiana via the Acadians. Lost bread, chicken fricasse, boudin are all staples of Louisiana cuisine.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
A lot of those recipes must have found their way to Louisiana via the Acadians. Lost bread, chicken fricasse, boudin are all staples of Louisiana cuisine.

Right you are PW,  Cajuns are decendents of French Canadians who were booted out of New France (Canada) when the British took over in the late 1700's as part of a treaty that ended the war between France and England,  they settled in Arcadia and were made unwelcomed there and moved south,  many if not most settled in and around the swamps of Louisiana,  bringing their culture with them.

**  The French Canadian name for what we know as French Toast translated to english is 'Lost',  but as you know some language doesn't translate well,  it actually refers to 'Spare' or 'Extra' and not lost,  The French Canadians were partial to certain foods,  they were often called "Pork Eaters" because of their love of pork,  Bread was another staple in their homes and it was baked fresh daily,  the bread that was left over from the day before was used to make Bread pudding and French Toast among other things,  and was refered to as 'extra' or 'spare' bread,  "Pain Perdu",  which in english,  translates to "Bread Lost'  (it actually does get lost in the translation  :) ),  the rough pronounciation for 'Perdu' is "Pard-dure".