Author Topic: Woodsman's Pal  (Read 14310 times)

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
Woodsman's Pal
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »
Took this Woodsman's Pal in trade not long ago. Sorry, only took a couple pics.

I've always wanted to try one of these out but always thought they were gimmicky and way too pricey for a machete.  Well when I got this in trade I was pretty damn impressed. First, it wasn't as heavy as I though it would be. Heavier than a regular machete for sure. Kinda forgot to weigh it but I'm sure it's lighter than my hatchet. The edge is convex and doesn't go all the way to the tip. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't sharpen this to the end? The brush hook looks to be convex as well but it's only sharpened on one side. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't sharpen the other side as well?

The factory leather sheath mine came with was nice. Not too heavy but heavy enough. It holds the Pal pretty securly with a snap strap around the handle and another strap at the top of the sheath to allow it to be unsheathed. It rides low on a belt but not too low. You can still sit down while wearing it on your side.

The handle is stacked leather and is, for the most part, comfortable. I'm thinking of coating it in superglue and sanding it to smooth it out. It's a little rough on my delicate, girly hands. Would this work or make it worse? Maybe oil or wax it? Need a little advise on this.

The hand guard (both of them) take a while to get used to. The large hand guard tends to get in the way when you flip it over to use the brush hook. The guard on the back of the blade (top of the handle) feels a little weird when you're chopping. I'm thinking about grinding off the top guard and wrapping the hand guard in paracord.

So how does it perform? Awesome! I split seasoned oak logs about 7" wide and about a foot and a half long in one swing. The brush hook made short work out those ground vines that are slowly taking over my yard, killing my plants and gunking up my fence. Could be a little sharper but I'll soon take care of that.

Overall. I'd get one again in a heart beat. I'm fairly sure this will replace my machete and hatchet. There is a reason they've been making these since WWII. Was it worth what I traded for it. Hell yes! Is it worth the $70 - $90 I've seen these go for. Yeah, I think so. If you ever find one for a decent price on sale or used, don't hesitate to buy it.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: Woodsman's Pal
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I've been curious on these for awhile now.  If I find a deal I'll probably get it.  As for now it's not really a need and you know how that goes...or is it?
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
As for now it's not really a need and you know how that goes...or is it?

I sure do. I would say that if I was starting with nothing and had to choose between buying a Weterlings (which I have),the far more expensive GB, or this? I'd probably go with this. I'm sure I'll find it very useful. Especially in this Florida environment. 

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 02:20:53 PM »
I have one of these that is pretty old.  It was bought shortly after my Dad came back from vietnam.  So that makes it 44 years old or so.  I used to use it often before I learned about splitting logs by batoning. 

Mine has an OD canvas sheath.  Mine is, also, not edge to the tip of the blade.  I think that spot is the sweet spot but I think it is purposely left unground to avoid it getting stuck in logs???
As far as I am aware (per my Dad) the brush hook is use with an under hand or side hand motion with your hand "correctly" on the handle and not used as a down chop where you regrip your grip causing the guard to get in the way. 

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:26:06 PM by MATT CHAOS »
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
As far as I am aware (per my Dad) the brush hook is use with an under hand or side hand motion with your hand "correctly" on the handle and not used as a down chop where you regrip your grip causing the guard to get in the way. 
Hmm, I think that actually makes a lot more sense. Guess I just need to practice with it more.

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »
Very nice Matt. In all this time the design really stays almost the same. Any idea what that notch just below the brush hook is for? Gotta be a reason it's there.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
I have no idea what that notch is for.

If you sharpen out the end of the blade let me know how it works for you.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
I've always thought they were pretty interesting too, never had one nor used one. I'd get one if I stumble on the right deal. Thanks for the info and pics guys,

Creek :chopwood:
Axes Rock!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
I found this on the Woodsman's Pal website http://www.woodmanspal.com/:

Features of the Woodman''s Pal?
1.The specially annealed, 1/8" thick, high carbon steel blade (hardened to Rockwell C47) will not crack or chip even in sub-zero temperatures.

2. The concave axe blade is convex ground for extreme strength and offers superior edge holding capabilities. The blade will cut wood up to 1 1/2" in diameter with a single stroke.

3. The chisel sharp sickle hook slices through stubborn vines and briers, and removes unwanted sprout growth at ground level.

4. The line of balance runs precisely from the grip through the sickle edge creating a natural momentum for efficient, accurate, and comfortable swinging motion.

5. Resin bonded fluorocarbon coating prevents corrosion.

6. The safety toe extending one inch up the axe side of the tool reduces risk of deflective injuries.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 02:54:02 PM »
Is the blade pretty stiff or does it have some flex to it like most machete's?
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »
IMO, it is pretty stout and offers a lot less flex than a traditional machete.

Nick: what do you think?

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »
6. The safety toe extending one inch up the axe side of the tool reduces risk of deflective injuries.

Ah! Well that's pretty intelligent. Maybe I'll just leave that part unsharpened.

Is the blade pretty stiff or does it have some flex to it like most machete's?

Yeah, like Matt said, it's a pretty stout blade. Heavier than a machete but not uncomfortable to swing.

Another thing I didn't mentioned in my review that really made me appreciate it, LIFETIME WARRANTY. I've never dealt with their customer service but, in my experience, any company that offer's a lifetime warranty knows what their doing and obviously believes in their product. 

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »
3. The chisel sharp sickle hook slices through stubborn vines and briers, and removes unwanted sprout growth at ground level.

So there's got to be a reason the hook is "chisel sharp" and not convexed like the main blade. What the heck is it? It's kinda bugging me.  :-\

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
If it's only cold-chisel sharp it ain't sharp enough to do you any good.  It needs to be wood-chisel sharp to do anything but ruin the bark on whatever it is you're trying to cut.  I have a stone that is pretty coarse for rough sharpening stuff like that......it's kind of rounded like a four-in-hand rasp, but it moves metal without piddlin' around ;).  My guess is that the previous owner or the manufacturer left the final sharpening up to YOU 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »
I say send it to Red and get the whole edge tighten up laser sharp.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
As for now it's not really a need and you know how that goes...or is it?

I sure do. I would say that if I was starting with nothing and had to choose between buying a Weterlings (which I have),the far more expensive GB, or this? I'd probably go with this. I'm sure I'll find it very useful. Especially in this Florida environment.

I've got the GB & it's collecting dust ... come by and pick it up for a test drive.

I honestly havent been able to find a use for it & I keep it in the camper "just in case". I would guess the Weterling is a better choice, both due to price & the fact the Wetterlings come with a stone.

Other than "looking cool", I can't find any justification for the GB, over a machete or kukuri

Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline knifeguy

• Mill File+
  • Hobbyist Knifemaker
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't sharpen this to the end?

Don't see why you shouldn't.

The brush hook looks to be convex as well but it's only sharpened on one side. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't sharpen the other side as well?

Because it will make the cutting angle twice as obtuse, significantly reducing it's cutting effectiveness, and increasing the work required to cut junk. The hook is for cutting vines and pencil-thin saplings. It's not designed to be a brush hook, just FYI.

The WP's I've used in the past had durn-steep cutting edges on the front, and were apparently made of unhardened steel, if not mild steel. I felt like a spring temper (like a machete's) would serve the blade better.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 09:26:25 AM »
i believe the notched portion of the bill hook is for hand purchase when using the tool as a draw knife or while digging.
the unsharpend forward portion of the primary edge would also make sense as a digging surface, though it would not cut through roots as effectively as it would if it were sharpened...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
i believe the notched portion of the bill hook is for hand purchase when using the tool as a draw knife or while digging.
Yeah, that also makes a lotta sense.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
the unsharpend forward portion of the primary edge would also make sense as a digging surface, though it would not cut through roots as effectively as it would if it were sharpened...woods

That makes a lot of sense when using as a draw knife.   ;)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »
hmmmmm.  I see a showdown comin', pardner.  The Woodsman vs Red's Frankenstein blade.  Let the mayhem begin...
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
hmmmmm.  I see a showdown comin', pardner.  The Woodsman vs Red's Frankenstein blade.  Let the mayhem begin...

There can be only one!!!  :duel:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 09:53:56 AM »
2 men enter.  1 man leaves. 

THUNDERDOME!!!
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »
My monies on the Red Frankenstein blade. LOL
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »
FYI.  I kinda like the Woodsman.  I'ld carry it on a river trip or carcamp no problem.  Red's blade is in' scary.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 12:52:52 PM »
Here is the GB version ..

Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have come close to getting one of these but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe one day.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »
I've got one too.

A buddy of mine is sorta parking his grandpapy's ancient version at my place.  When I started working on it, it was just a rust-bucket with no hint of a cutting edge whatsoever.  After cleaning it up, I next took a file to it to give it some semblance of an edge before I finished it up on my belt sander.  It's damned sharp now, and it'll cut ya' if you're careless.

It'll chop for sure, but that un-sharpened tip, ah I dunno, whatever.  It was killing my tools, so I stopped sharpening it.

Pics (or it didn't happen):

The sheath is pretty cool:

It's heavy, cumbersome, doesn't carry well, and only chops good, not great.  I don't own it, and I wouldn't recommend it for my neck of the woods.

Here it is in a shoot-out with some other choppers:

Don't go by what I say in the video, because the Marble's Bolo did great, my technique stunk for the Woodman's Pal (I kept hitting the blunt edge on the stump), and those two Farmers just chop unreal.  Also, the Bk-9 is highly overrated as a chopper by me in this vid.-- it's good, but not great.