Author Topic: SAS Survival Guide  (Read 4642 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
SAS Survival Guide
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:41:39 AM »
Not a piece of gear per se, but I've never read a review about this book since I've been frequenting these forums, thought it beared mentioning. Its the the 'Encyclopedia of Outdoor Survival' by Barry Davies. I think the SAS are the British equivalent of the green berets or army rangers.
Here's the book..and gratuitous dog cameo

The first half of the book is dedicated to the foundations of outdoor living. Equipment, Making Fire, Procuring Water, Shelter, Bush Medicine, and Nav. It covers knives and overnight kits, rations and rescue signalling. It's definitely Military based, shot through with realistic pictures of soldiers performing tasks in actual environments. A couple of the images in the medical section are pretty gruesome, and informative.
The rest of the text, and my favorite part, is grouped into major outdoor environs; Arctic, Desert, Jungle, Sea and Coastline and a section on Military Escape and Evasion, survival and mind-games.
Each section hits food, water, shelter, and travel.
It's certainly focused on short term survival and mostly military situations, but the author makes sure to mention things like taking time to not waste carcass parts and minimizing cruelty as much as possible in procuring meat, as not only inhumane but a waste of time and resources. Not that military=cruel but it's not often mentioned in other manuals I've read. There's wild plant diagrams including fungi, knots, snares/traps.
It's very 'readable' haha, not too texty and has tons of awesome pictures, which I think is important in super technical books. I have had access to it for quite awhile but I still think I've learned more from it than a lot of other survival texts because of the authors comfortable tone and realism.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:44:52 AM by Binalith »

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
Re: SAS Survival Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:28:23 AM »
I've not heard of this particular book. I was thinking of Lofty Wiseman's book when I read the title. It looks like he (Barry Davies) has written other survival books as well that have received good reviews. I'll keep my eyes peeled for this one when I'm out and about.

Thanks for the review.  :thumbsup:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:19:46 AM »
....  Another book to put on my wish list.  :)     What does SAS stand for?   

Thank you again.   Its nice to hear from actual readers of books and what they think of the content. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 08:24:41 AM »

Thank you again.   Its nice to hear from actual readers of books and what they think of the content. 

WW.

Special Air Service.  British special forces
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline dragogt

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
Re: Re: SAS Survival Guide
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »

WW.

Special Air Service. iirc

You can also get the US Army guide as an app for Android..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appopus.survival_3_05_70

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »

Special Air Service... the British special forces. They're bad asses. Australia and New Zealand also have their own SAS, not sure if there are others.

Edit: two people beat me LOL.

Offline RBM

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
  • Philippians 4:13
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
Quote from: Gurthy
I was thinking of Lofty Wiseman's book when I read the title.

Same here. The little pocket SAS Survival Guide.
Robert

Offline sausage100uk

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:41:44 PM »
yep sas are special forces, more like your delta or seals.small numbers uber hard to qualify , google sas selection.... lots of secrecy about them until the 1980 embassy siege, which I think lofty took part in.

Offline onlightgear

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
  • keep it light
    • on lightgear
SAS Survival Guide
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »
This is one of my favorite books since highshool on how to deal with nature and the elements while camping. It covers all parts of the world and advices on what to do, what to eat, how to hunt etc wven on remote areas like Antarctica. Highly recommended for any outdoor enthusiast.