Author Topic: Cooking kit  (Read 22619 times)

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
Re: Cooking kit
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »
Foam and duct tape.  That's an awesome idea, thanks for the tip!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »
I forgot to mention the other idea I had.

In Walmart back by the frozen food isle , on the endcap or near it they sell those blue insulated bags with handles for shoppers to put their frozen foods in to get them home safe.  This bag has a strip of velcro across the top to keep it shut.

I live Just about an hours drive home from Walmart and have used those bags.  Everything stayed frozen in them even in a hot van.   

I had this thought to cut one of those up, sew it into a smaller bag for backpacks.   I'd still give it another layer of duct tape.  If anything for the leak factor and to cover up the blue coloring.   But I'm thinking it will still work to keep foods froze for at least a two day hike.

And it should sew rather easily with a sewing machine.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
In Walmart back by the frozen food isle , on the endcap or near it they sell those blue insulated bags with handles for shoppers to put their frozen foods in to get them home safe.  This bag has a strip of velcro across the top to keep it shut.

I've used similar bags from Trader Joe's by me.  The one I have has a velcro closure at the top edge.  Duct tape is a good idea though, mine sprung a leak somewhere along the way.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »
Thats what I wanted..  a descriptive process.   Thanks.     

Ok..questions.   

What do you use for chopping and cutting on?  Do you have a cutting board with you too?
Do you make yourself a table or use your knee?
What do you do with leftovers.  Stews always seem to make 'to much'.  :)

Do you have pictures of your spice / oil / grains containers or how you pack them up?

I did make myself a 'freezer'  out of a Hersheys container.   I put frozen foods in it and pretend  I cook so many of the items a day and took them out one by one.    On the third day that last item was still frozen.  I kept the 'freezer' on the counter in 70 something temps.    Just to see if it would work. 

I wish I could watch Professor's videos.   My connection is just too slow for them.

I wish Spring would get here.. I want to get out and learn.   I'm realizing theres different catagories of 'bush/camp cooking'.    And I'd like experience in all of them.

Thank you Moe for taking the time on this topic.  Its appreciated.

WW.

My seasoning kit is a small soft plastic box with a hinged cover I picked up at Walmart in the fishing dept.,  I have five small glass bottles from Pier One imports that I keep my seasonings in,  they have cork stoppers, the bottles fit inside the box along with tea bags, instant coffee, and dry creamer packets, Just for a quick cup.

I keep my Rice, Instant potatoes, and baking mix in plastic bottles,  they are heavy duty and the caps have great seals,  they are recycled from Boost Energy drinks,  and just the right size for a pack.
  Corn meal,  extra salt, and sugar are packed in zip lock sandwich type bags and kept in my small cook pot.

For a cutting board,  I try to use a split piece of wood or a folded piece of gear as a cutting base,  and I carry a large 12" x 18" flexible cutting board that I cut in half,  they are food quality,  look like plastic but are super tough and cheap,  they fit flat or can be rolled up to fit your pack, it won't dull your knives and under normal use you won't cut through them,  they are also great for mixing and kneading bread on,  and clean up easy.
  Home Goods and TJ Max carries them.
  I don't like the idea of using any part of my body to rest something on while cutting anything,  accidents happen all too easily.

Left overs are not a problem,  I'm pretty careful to not over cook,  but I use any leftovers as snacks during the course of the day or too add to a meal later,  for example,  left over beef stew can easily be thickened when hot into a fine gravy by adding a little instant potatoes,  then served over drop biscuits for breakfast,  it's one of my favorites,  I usually make extra for just that reason.

I also carry a small grill top in my pack that comes in real handy,  it's recycled from a heavy duty grid that came with a small baking sheet I picked up at Home Goods for $10.00,  the grill is worth the price by itself but the baking sheet has been great for making all sorts of things in my oven at home.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »
Thank you Moe, you've given me alot to think on and to work with to get a kit together.  :)   

I dont have energy drink containers..but I do have some small flip top containers from Hubbys blood testing strips... 

I love those Idaho instant potatoes.   mmm mmm

Thank you

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »
Thank you Moe, you've given me alot to think on and to work with to get a kit together.  :)   

I dont have energy drink containers..but I do have some small flip top containers from Hubbys blood testing strips... 

I love those Idaho instant potatoes.   mmm mmm

Thank you

WW.

I'm afraid you aren't going to get much dried food in those little test strip containers if the are anything like mine,  Boost Energy or Protein drinks are about seven dollars for six bottles, the drink is a good aid to  healing,  and the bottles are worth a buck apiece,  I wouldn't buy them all the time but I will when I want more bottles.
  The bottles are just the right size for food portions,  and they are great for holding alcohol for your cat stove.

I like your cooler idea and I will be trying it out.

I use the Idaho's a lot when backpacking,  I usually jazz them up a bit,  they are a bit bland on their own,  at home, when i make them there's always left overs,  I take the leftover and form them into patties and freeze them on a cookie sheet,  when frozen I put them in a freezer bag and use them for breakfast,  just take one or two out of the freezer and put them right into your cast iron fry pan with a little butter when they are brown turn them over and fry the other side,  they come out almost like hash browns.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:18:46 AM by Moe M. »

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 07:39:52 PM »
Ooo..  those potato pancakes sound sooo sooo goood.  :)   I'm going to try one of those for sure.  Theres always left overs from a package with only two eating.

I'll have to pick up some boost type drink things.    I'm always afraid of them...  making me even MORE hyper and talkative..  Hubby worries too, his ear plugs may not be thick enough.  ha ha.

I guess I'm gonna have to go get me a cat.. so I can make one of those stoves.    ;D

WW

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »
I normally have a stainless steel cup, and a stainless steel 1L water bottle. Bottle fits in cup and I use a bandanna to keep them from clanking and so have it to wash and dry with. I might bring a fork or spoon along depending on what I'm eating. That's usually for a day.

Summertime I might use a canteen and canteen cup instead. Again if I'm out for a day or overnight.

Bad habit of mine is forgetting fork and spoon. I often end up carving them on the spot while dinner gets cold.

If I'm going to be gone for a bit, then I use an MSR Stainless steel pot and a 1L plastic water bottle and the stainless steel mug above. Sometimes I'll just use a small coffee can or an apple juice can with a wire bale attached.

I don't normally bring anything more than a bandanna for cleaning up. Sand, grass, pine cones all work well as scrubbies. I don't take soap into the woods. If I'm staying put, I boil water right after each meal anyway.

Food and condiments/spices are usually in zip lock bags. Many various sizes.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »
Hi Yeoman. :)    What do you like to take with to cook out there in the woods ?

When reading your making spoons and forks at the last minute I thought of chopsticks...and how fast those would be to make.   But.. I couldnt poke a tomato with a chopstick...  I just cant get the hang of those things.  :)

WW.

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2012, 06:27:40 AM »
Since the old Dodge van is long gone, and I have gone to an extended cab Chevy Colorado as my main "bushmobile" I have developed a field kitchen that fits in a USGI Helmet bag.

It has a 2-person Coleman SS cook set with a 1 1/2 quart kettle, a lid that doubles as a fry pan, 2 small plates, 2 nice bowls w/ handles and 2 cups.  I found another SS mixing bowl at a second hand store that is bigger than the bowls, and still nests in the kettle.

The stove for this kit is a Coleman Dual Fuel, model 533, one burner stove.  It will run on regular unleaded gasoline, so it goes well with the truck theme or ATV. Even with high gas prices, it is very cheap to operate; a pint of gas runs a long time.

The bag has pockets for utensils, clean-up stuff, hot pads, and a dish towel.  I also throw in a small griddle to make grilled cheese sandwiches to go with soup and one-pot meals. The griddle is also good for pancakes and french toast. 

It also kept food on the table during our last power outage, and it is easy to grab the cook kit from behind the seat and set up on the tailgate of the truck anywhere.
...and I'll see you soon!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2012, 08:07:54 AM »
Ooo..  those potato pancakes sound sooo sooo goood.  :)   I'm going to try one of those for sure.  Theres always left overs from a package with only two eating.

I'll have to pick up some boost type drink things.    I'm always afraid of them...  making me even MORE hyper and talkative..  Hubby worries too, his ear plugs may not be thick enough.  ha ha.

I guess I'm gonna have to go get me a cat.. so I can make one of those stoves.    ;D

WW

I don't think we're talking about the same drinks,  I believe you're thinking about those little bottles of five hour energy drinks that they sell next to the cash register of most convienence stores,  that's not it.
  The ones I'm talking about are Protean drinks usually sold in the health food isle of most super markets and pharmacies,  they generally come in vanilla or chocolate flavor,  there are several brands on the market,  Boost is the one that my wife's doctor recommended she use when she was recovering from a major surgery,  it helps to sustain muscle and promotes healing, especially for open wounds.
  There's nothing in Boost that will drive you up the wall,  it's just high protean and vitamin supplement,  the thing about the bottles that I like is that they are thick walled,  which means that they last a long time,  they're made to hold food, so I don't have to worry what they're made of,
The mouth of the bottles are a good size,  and the caps are self sealing, meaning there's no paper insert to hold moisture, or grow mold,  and they're air tight.
  As a bonus for me,  the chocolate comes in a clear bottle with a red cap, these are great because you can see what food you have stored in them,  the vanilla flavored Boost comes in a red bottle with a red cap,  this makes them great for storing the fuel for your alcohol stove,  when you see red you think fuel, no mix ups. 

As for the stoves,  they're easy to make,  but they do take some experimenting with to get them to burn right,  there are a lot of videos out there that show you how to make them,  you can use just about any small can, many use soda pop cans,  for me they are too thin to last, the cat food cans hold up better but are still easy to work with,  one of my favorites I made from a small can of wood stain.
 If you want to try making one PM me your information and I'll mail you out some cleaned cans and a finished stove.
 All you need for tools are a pair of cheap scissors and a hole punch for paper,  and I use a little cotton material in the bottom for a wick,  you don't need it for the stove to work,  it just cuts down on fuel evaporation.

I don't use mine often,  I prefer a wood fire for all the obvious reasons. but it is a valuable piece of kit if your stuck inside your shelter in the rain, or if all you want is a quick cup of tea to warm up with,  they don't take much room, they don't cost much,  and the fuel is relatively cheap.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »
Hi Yeoman. :)    What do you like to take with to cook out there in the woods ?

When reading your making spoons and forks at the last minute I thought of chopsticks...and how fast those would be to make.   But.. I couldnt poke a tomato with a chopstick...  I just cant get the hang of those things.  :)

WW.
Hey there. I generally got into ultra-lightweight gear and packing so I'd be able to carry heavier (better) food. Not being able to afford packaged dehydrated/freeze dried food and not having a dehydrator (yet - but I'm getting sorely tempted) I still want to eat good food. That being said, I try to keep things simple.
For  up to four days, I have no problems bringing frozen meat and pasta sauce; and cheese, fresh fruit and veggies.
I'll give an example gear/menu from a four day back country hike in Kejimkujik National Park last July.
Cooking gear: 1L disposable plastic water bottle nested in stainless steel cup, MSR pot (with folding handle over lid - can't remember the name), coffee can with wire bale, bandanna, soda can alcohol stove and 250ml denatured alcohol, heavy duty tin foil wind screen. (This is a case of me forgetting my fork and spoon). All cooking was done on open fire, except late night teas which was done on alcohol stove.
First day
Lunch: whole wheat wraps, prosciutto ham, mozza cheese, tangerine
Supper: veggie ground round, brown rice, diced red/yellow/orange peppers, small onion, olive oil, dash of Italian seasoning. Veggies were sauteed in in oil and then set aside. Rice took about 45 minutes to cook and the veggie ground round/veggies/spice was added in last ten minutes. Tea to drink. Carved a flat paddle from birch for a utensil.
Second day:
Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal (with sugar and cinnimon added), 1 tbls tang with water, 1 cup coffee (cowboy). Used same paddle for untensil
Lunch: 1/2 pkg Lipton Soupworks chicken noodle. Tea. Had to carve another paddle to eat with. Drank the broth and the shoveled the solids right from pot to mouth.
Supper: 2x4oz pepper steaks (frozen, wrapped in cling wrap, wraped in news paper, wrapped in tin foil, in zip lock baggie, wrapped in a toque, 2x baked potatoes, 1 onion sauteed in olive oil, steamed baby carrots. Steaks and potatos were done right on the fire. I made a steamer rack from willow shoots for the baby carrots. Sauted the onions in the tin foil from the steaks. Had tea. This time I carved a proper fork (used SAK saw to cut the tines).
Day three:
Same as day two
Lunch: wraps, cheese, summer sausage, tang
Supper: 2 pkg rammen noodles, dehydrated veggie flakes (from Bulk Barn - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!), beef jerky. Jerky and veggie flakes rehydrated about 30 minutes in cold water, brought to a boil and then noodles added. Lid went on, set aside for 10 minutes. This time, I did eat with willow shoot chop sticks. Cut two 20cm sticks about as big as pinky finger and striped bark off them. Not too bad.
Day four:
Bannock (cooked in ashes) for breakfast with coffee and compot made from dried fruit rehydrated overnight and heated up in the morning with a sprinkle of tang. Compot eaten with same chop sticks from night before.
Lunch: burger and fries at road-stop canteen across from park entrance.    :)

For snacks I had a bag of GORP, a bag of candied trail mix, granola bars, mixed dried fruit, Cliff Bars, some other energy bars, and a variety of snacks meant for long distance running (jellies, jelly beans, "slimes" etc).

All that being said, I could have lived with just one pot, a plastic cup and a water bottle. Extra pot was nice for having hot water at hand and the tin cup was good for re-heating tea. Spoon and fork would definately have helped though.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
Yeoman,  Thank you for a wonderful descriptive post.   Its nice to read how every meal is broke down and preplanned.    It helps some of us who are new and needing to learn.  :)

You eat very well and healthy on the trail.   

The dehydrated Veggie Flakes...not so good huh?   :)   **scritches that off the list**

WW.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »
Yeoman,  Thank you for a wonderful descriptive post.   Its nice to read how every meal is broke down and preplanned.    It helps some of us who are new and needing to learn.  :)

You eat very well and healthy on the trail.   

The dehydrated Veggie Flakes...not so good huh?   :)   **scritches that off the list**

WW.
WW, thanks for the feedback. I'm often afraid my posts are too detailed (long). I try to eat healthy food and stay away from packaged as best I can. I have a son who is seven who has told grocery store check out clerks that "Daddy is a chef." I'm not but I do enjoy making and eating good food.
Ummm, yeah, dried veggie flakes had a huge sulfide/sulfate content and even with rinsing and changing the water they still tasted like hotspring water. Not to be too descriptive but they caused some odor problems later on. I had lucked out on the dried fruit front as the mix I got was preservative free (but expensive).

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
Dont you worry none about long winded posts... they are a joy to read.  :)

I do think most dried fruits and veggies are fumed with sulfer arent they?    As a preservetive. (sp)

WW.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
WW, thanks for the feedback. I'm often afraid my posts are too detailed (long). I try to eat healthy food and stay away from packaged as best I can.

Yeoman, I too enjoy those detailed posts.  It helps to see how everything is broken down into real-life meals instead of just an ingredient list.  My thinking is in line with yours, I think.  I don't mind spending the time at camp preparing a good meal, I find it to be a fun part of being outdoors.  And I'd also rather have fresh foods instead of processed (where possible).  I've got a decent sized breadbag that attaches to my ruck, but I'm not sure how much food, in real-world terms, it will actually hold. 

For your 4-day menu you posted (food only, not cooking gear), how much room did that take up?  Trying to keep some sort of universal measurement.......h ow big compared to a 2 liter soda bottle (or how many bottles)?  I'm curious if I'll have enough room in my pack.  I suppose I could always pack up my breadbag with food, but I'm at work right now.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »

For your 4-day menu you posted (food only, not cooking gear), how much room did that take up?  Trying to keep some sort of universal measurement.......h ow big compared to a 2 liter soda bottle (or how many bottles)?  I'm curious if I'll have enough room in my pack.  I suppose I could always pack up my breadbag with food, but I'm at work right now.

Hmmmmm. I've never really measured volumes before. I use an old sleeping bag sack to carry my food in and IIRC it was a bit over half full. I can't ever really judge well based on my pack as it used to be a Tatonka 85L pack but I removed the lid portion and cut out some parts. Food was less than 1/4 of the total volume and there was plenty of room left.  I'm going to guess and say about 3 or 4 2L pop bottles. Maybe, just maybe 10L at the most? Sorry i can't be more helpful.