Author Topic: Corn and Crab Bisque  (Read 2318 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Corn and Crab Bisque
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »
I made a batch of corn and crab bisque using Emeril's recipe.

It's delicious! Really, truly awesome recipe. The stuff is amazing!

I used my 8" Lodge skillet to make the roux. I was surprised how fast you can make a blonde roux on high heat. I can honestly say I've never burned a roux, but I usually take a lot longer to make them over medium heat. High heat is the way to go. It probably took me 1/4 the time or less.

Anyhow...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/corn-and-crab-bisque-recipe/index.html

Give it a shot sometime if you like seafood soups. It's actually a bit on the thick side.

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
Re: Corn and Crab Bisque
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
OHHHH man does that look gook. I LOVE great food. There is a youtube channel AussieGriller that I subscribed to that you should check out. Thanks for this one I'll have to try it.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
 Hey PW,  if you like thick soup try this Corn/Potato chowder.

I generally cook by eye and taste so my measurements are approx., You may have to adjust to your taste.

I start out by chopping up a few strips of bacon and rendering the fat while crisping the bacon bits.
  Next I add about a cup of finely chopped onion,  celery, and carrot combined and cook them in the bacon fat until tender.
  Then add about two cups of chicken stock (made with bouillon),  bring it to a simmer and add three medium diced potatoes and let cook until fork tender.
  Next add a can of Cream styled corn and stir it in.
  Then pour in some milk or half & half and bring it back to a simmer,  once it just starts to boil take it off the heat and add about a half a cup of instant potato mix,  stir to blend until smooth,  add more to make it as thick as you want,  add salt and pepper and a pat of butter to taste.

I make it a little different each time by adding diffferent seasonings like Cayenne pepper,  a little garlic powder,  dried chives,  sometimes a little Old Bay seasoning,  it's all good,  it really warms you up on a cold day,  for me it's one of my comfort foods.
  Sometimes I'll make it in camp by substituting spam and a little olive oil for the bacon, and using condensed milk instead of whole milk or half & half. 
  For a different taste, substitute a can of clam juice and a small can of minced clams instead of the chicken stock.

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »
That sounds good Moe!  I'll give it a try next time I'm looking for something new to make.