Author Topic: My first hunt  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
My first hunt
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
Hey all, Talked to my Uncle last night (well, step Uncle) and we are set for hunting. Not usually a big deal excep this is my first time hunting ever. He has 2 stands set up for each of us on private land, and he gets deer every year out of them so my chances are good.  I'm not looking for trophies, just filling the freezer, at least that is the plan.

We can hunt rifles in his part of the state (the other part is shotgun).

anyway, long story short I keep staring at the calander, November 3rd can't come fast enough!
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
Re: My first hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:17:50 AM »
Have a great time and be safe! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful learning experience with your uncle.
What's that smell?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »
Congrats!  :)     

Get your clothing outside to hang...get as much 'human' smell off it.  :)     Dont wear anything perfumey out there... this includes conditioner for your hair , deoderant, mouthwash and after shave .    :)     If they are new clothes.. wash them in vinegar to get the new store smell off them and then hang outside in the sun.  NO dryer sheets either. 

If you need snacks while out there.. peanutbutter and apples.    Those smells will bring deer in to check whats smellin so good.   Umm...bears too.  heh.

Dont forget sunglasses. Warm socks, and a butt pillow.  :)

If your a smoker, dont smoke on or near your stand.  Nor on the trail if you see one.  One hunter I know will go smoke where he didnt want a deer to come through... just to force the animal to pass his stand.

These are some of the tips I've heard over the years.   About a week before opening you'll see outfits hanging outside in trees or on clotheslines.  One other hunter is a farmer, he'd lay all his clothing in the barn on the feed sacks a few days before opening.

Good luck!  I hope you get a big un!

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
Awesome buddy!  hunting for your meat is much more fun than the going to the grocery store.  You'll have to keep us updated on how it goes.  Good luck..and remember to breath when your hearts about to burst through your chest  ;)
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
My first hunt
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
Good luck!
It's nice to here that your getting out.

'Beginners luck' is not superstition ;)
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Half Axe

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »
I really hope it goes well for you.  Best of luck!

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies and well wishes.  Although I have never hunted deer before I do have over 20 years in the Infantry. I'm not going to quote my famous former Governor but I do know how to keep my smell down as well as noise and light discipline. Tips are always welcome though. I wish I didn't live in the middle of the city, I still will lay out my clothes but I don't have nice barn smells to rub them into.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
I'm sorry Angerland.. I misunderstood.     I'll still wish you the best of luck.  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline land cruiser

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »
Good luck. Soak in the experience. You only get to hunt for the first time once:)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »
Good luck. Soak in the experience. You only get to hunt for the first time once:)

Very true.....and nobody forgets that first deer, either!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:26:53 AM »
I'm sorry Angerland.. I misunderstood.     I'll still wish you the best of luck.  :)

WW.

no no no WW, no need for sorry. Your post had lots of good advice in it!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
... Tips are always welcome though. I wish I didn't live in the middle of the city, I still will lay out my clothes but I don't have nice barn smells to rub them into.
Rather than hang your hunting clothes out in the smog, get some doe (or buck) scent, dab some on some cotton balls and stuff everything into a big garbage bag.
Another thing that works well is Oil of Anise (Anise Oil). You can get it on the spice isle in the grocery store. I used to use that to deodorize steel traps when going after muskrat.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.