Author Topic: Modified SAK Farmer  (Read 7979 times)

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
Modified SAK Farmer
« on: October 07, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »
I picked this baby up used on the forums last week and, man, it's soowheat!

I don't know who did the work, but it walks and talks like it was new.

Everything lines up just fine:

Unfortunately the package hook, which is in the same row as the scissors, was not reinstalled:

Nice work peening the pins:

Compared to my trusty Huntsman it's a bit heavier, but it's about the same length and slightly narrower. Also, the Farmer has a more usable position for the awl, and has no unnecessary items.

I'm really liking this knife a lot.  For the foreseeable future, I just don't see my regular Farmer (no scissors) or Huntsman getting out much.

It's my dream SAK. :)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Modified SAK Farmer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 07:30:36 PM »
Looks great!

You could always use that open space for a bit of high carbon steel for striking like the swissbianco firesteel farmer.

But you'd have to remove the center pin and reinstall it...

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
Nice! I have a SAK Red Panda made up. They are pretty awesome! Nice little knife!
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »
Nice score!  I would never have been able to tell the mod was there unless you told me! 
 ;)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:41:57 PM »
Good peening job, but I can still see where the hammer missed.  I have the same problem, so I always finish with the side opposite the shield.

I'm gonna try moleskin around the brass, next time.

Looks good, love the red scales!
Warning:  Sometimes it looks like I'm dancing, but it's just that I walked into a spiderweb. - Demetri Martin

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:32:22 AM »
I think you can get cup shaped punches for peening the pins that prevent that kind of damage and leave a smooth domed head on the pins.

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »
I tried the cup-shaped punch, but it didn't work too well for me.  I think the convex edge of the hammer is necessary for the peening, to be honest.  Maybe someone else had better luck with that.

Warning:  Sometimes it looks like I'm dancing, but it's just that I walked into a spiderweb. - Demetri Martin

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
This is coming from an old farmer who has had problems similar to this in repairing a tachometer......but what I did was to round off the nose of a small punch and use it to peen the pin.  Much less chance of a misplaced strike, more control and easier to 'mushroom' the head of the pin than with a hammer face or peen alone 8).  Some powdered chalk on the nose of the punch helps to keep slippage down between the pin and punch surfaces, too.  Having the piece you are working on in a vise or otherwise fully stabilized is paramount for accuracy and satisfactory end result, also :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:52:08 PM »
Possibly using a press instead of impact would make things go smoother as well. I'll bet there are nail sets that would do the job in a pinch with pins that small.

Offline itsbaker

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 10:08:53 AM »
Where does everyone find this red alox. I can't get my hands on it.   I am held up on my scissors add by waiting to order carbide bits
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:44:13 AM by itsbaker »

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
Wolfy & PW,

Excellent ideas, that's why I like this place!

I have an arbor press, didn't even think of using it for this. :-[

itsbaker,

I think it comes from SwissBianco, probably.  I know there are guys who get Cadet scales anodized, but the shield ends up being the same colour.  I got a black alox Pioneer from LeBaron's, but it was the last one & they couldn't help me to find anymore.

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
Every once in a while, Victorinox releases colored Alox handles. I've seen graphite, autumn, forest green, orange, black, blue, and red. Cadet's probably provide the most variety, farmers and pioneers are often just silver, black or red (if you're lucky).
What's that smell?

Offline H_Talon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »

sweet knife .. like the red :-)

did someone say firesteel farmer ... if I may ?

sorry my pic's suck !!!!!

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
Nice knife.

Gives me an idea, what if the striker was cut to fill the void on the back side of the scissors?

I'm starting to leave the package hook on, now.  I removed it before, but I like that I can use it for picking up hot items. 

Offline H_Talon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:26 PM »
Nice knife.

Gives me an idea, what if the striker was cut to fill the void on the back side of the scissors?

I'm starting to leave the package hook on, now.  I removed it before, but I like that I can use it for picking up hot items.

well actually the fire steel it pinned to one of the divider plates, the divider plate is extended out the
back side of the knife hmmm maybe 1/4" and the fire steel is grooved to fit over it and pinned ..

since it's a farmer there are no blades on the back side :-)

glad you like it ..

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 09:06:37 PM »
Very interesting, H_Talon, thanks.

I just made another one, today.  I was unhappy with my torx screw revision to my last knife, so I started from scratch.  This time, I kept the knife intact & drilled the holes right through the peened rod & replaced it with a torx screw.  It's better, but still not perfect. 

I've had my best results, using brass rod. 

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »
Very interesting, H_Talon, thanks.

I just made another one, today.  I was unhappy with my torx screw revision to my last knife, so I started from scratch.  This time, I kept the knife intact & drilled the holes right through the peened rod & replaced it with a torx screw.  It's better, but still not perfect. 

I've had my best results, using brass rod.
And actually, I now have his best results!

(And feel kinda guilty about it at times!) ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
I picked this baby up used on the forums last week and, man, it's soowheat!

I don't know who did the work, but it walks and talks like it was new.

Everything lines up just fine:

Unfortunately the package hook, which is in the same row as the scissors, was not reinstalled:

Nice work peening the pins:

Compared to my trusty Huntsman it's a bit heavier, but it's about the same length and slightly narrower. Also, the Farmer has a more usable position for the awl, and has no unnecessary items.

I'm really liking this knife a lot.  For the foreseeable future, I just don't see my regular Farmer (no scissors) or Huntsman getting out much.

It's my dream SAK. :)

I agree that they are a handy tool,  I have two of the large Tinkers,  they each have belt cases with the attached sharpening steel,  and I keep them in my day pack and overnight pack.
  I did carry one as a daily driver for awhile but found them to be more of a bother than than a good old fashioned pocket knife,  but for camping I like them because of the scissors, awl, and can opener,  and the hook blade works well as a pot and lid lifter.
  I have a multi-tool with a decent wood saw,  and i always have a Laplander in my packs,  but I can see where a smaller saw on a dedicated folding camp knife would come in handy for the smaller jobs like knotching.
  So I'm keeping my eye open for a farmer or maybe a large Trekker model.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
To me, any SAK without a toothpick is like a dog without a tail >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
To me, any SAK without a toothpick is like a dog without a tail >:(

Could just use the awl. :D

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »
That is the perfect pocket knife to me.  A saw, blade, and scissor is what I think are the must have items.  I did not know this could even been done.  A little time with google and I found a video and some instructions.  I may have to add this to the project list. 

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
Modified SAK Farmer
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 09:30:23 PM »
That is the perfect pocket knife to me.  A saw, blade, and scissor is what I think are the must have items.  I did not know this could even been done.  A little time with google and I found a video and some instructions.  I may have to add this to the project list.
Red Panda made me one, and its an amazing pice of gear! :thumbsup:

Tapatalked from my batphone.