Author Topic: My DIY "Light My Fire" mess kit. (Crappy pic heavy...)  (Read 12915 times)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
My DIY "Light My Fire" mess kit. (Crappy pic heavy...)
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:21:47 PM »
(iPhone pics.  Sorry.)

OK, we've all seen those Light My Fire mess kits, right?  Those triangle-shaped plastic mess kits?  At their best, they look like this:

Well, I want one.  Actually, I wanted one, and when I looked at the price in my local store, they were over 30 bucks.  (I actually felt my spleen quiver when I saw that...)

So, I thought I'd better do the old farmer's fix and cobble me one together. (I decided to leave out the spork, as I'm not the biggest fan since I broke one flicking a tea bag into the bush this summer.  Oh, NOTE: If you have a plastic spork DO NOT attempt to use it to flick a tea bag away.)

I went out and bought a plastic container at a local box store.  It was like 10 bucks.  I was kinda happy.  It looked like this:

Inside, I put some stuff:

There's a wee chunk of flexible cutting board, a guyotedesigns spork and flipper combo set, some seasoning and olive oil.  I put the stuff in film canisters that I washed out and bleached really well.  I have a Coughlan's Swedish folding cup and a P38 opener.

Well, this was... hmmmmm... okaaayyyyyyy... but not quite right. 

And then I saw it in a Salvation Army store I was cruising with Mrs. Karhu:

That's a bushlore on top there that I grabbed from a the knife box.  I really don't like the knife that much anymore... (go figure...) but you all know their size.   

The green one was new.  It was made in Canada.  You guys will be happy to know that this one is made in the USA

(Just threw that in there for ya!) ;)

Here's some more pics:

Roomier.  Tougher than nails.  AND it has dividers to keep my beans outta my soggy whatever... ???

Cutting board on top:

AND the top is a plate on this one!

I'm over all pretty happy with it.  Any thoughts/suggestions?  Any of these you've made?

Oh, almost forgot, I stuffed it into a backpack that I got to replace my smaller cheaper "Chinese Assault Pack".  (Those who know me at all, know I loved that CHinese pack only because my wife and daughter got it for me.  Otherwise, I HATED the bloody thing!)

Here's my 'new' used pack:

It's a camelbak BFM I do believe.  I love it.

Thanks for looking.

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: My DIY "Light My Fire" mess kit. (Crappy pic heavy...)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »
Hey I like that round set up!  :)    Ummm..got room for a clean bandana in there?   I think they would be handy to be with in that kit.    You might dribble on yerself or need to wash your hands or strain something with it.  :)     

WW.   O:-)
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »
That looks like a good one. It's nice to have all you need in one container. I have a larger cook set (cause my friends suck at cooking) but a sack with the extras. Easy to pack and I always know what I got. Looks like you done good. Mine is metal though,

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Hey I like that round set up!  :)    Ummm..got room for a clean bandana in there?   I think they would be handy to be with in that kit.    You might dribble on yerself or need to wash your hands or strain something with it.  :)     

WW.   O:-)
WW,
First off, I don't "dribble" ... when I'm eating.  I reserve all my dribbling for other times. When I eat, well, think "Cookie Monster" :thumbsup: :rofl:

And I do have three bandanas in my kit with me, and a microfibre towel, now that I think of it.  I guess I really should stuff one into this kit.  Thanks for the hint!

KK

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
Ok ok.. I take back the dribble word.   :P    touchy.  sheesh.   :P   O:-)

I like that set of utensils too...  where do you find those?    I dont know of the knife so size comparison is hard for me.   

WW. 

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:38:49 PM »
Ok ok.. I take back the dribble word.   :P    touchy.  sheesh.   :P   O:-)

I like that set of utensils too...  where do you find those?    I dont know of the knife so size comparison is hard for me.   

WW.
Hey dubya dubya, I was joking, right? ;)  Dribblings for amateurs - I slobber and go "num num num num num" all the while recklessly spewing great gobs of food everywhere!  (Ever notice how Cookie Monster never actually eats anything - all the stuff goes flying all over the place... ??? )

Um, but yeah, the utensils ARE cool.  I got them in Grande Marais MN (sp) at the trading post there.  Sorry about the knife comparison.  Maybe go check out the specs on the condor bushlore?

KK

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I like it. Better than the LMF if you ask me.
My only suggestion would be to reconsider the olive oil in the film canister. Seems like it would easily open up and spill out over everything. I'd recommend one of those little energy drink bottles or two. The ones I got (from friends, I can't drink that stuff) are light but pretty heavy duty and seal real well. Some places sell them for like a dollar. At that price you could just toss the drink and save the bottle.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
I like it. Better than the LMF if you ask me.
My only suggestion would be to reconsider the olive oil in the film canister. Seems like it would easily open up and spill out over everything. I'd recommend one of those little energy drink bottles or two. The ones I got (from friends, I can't drink that stuff) are light but pretty heavy duty and seal real well. Some places sell them for like a dollar. At that price you could just toss the drink and save the bottle.
Thanks Nick! Great idea!

KK

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »
Oh yes.. we're cool KayKay..  :)      I was thinking of Ramen noodles when I was typing.   I dont know about you...but it never fails to get a dribble off those noodles down my chin...     heh.

I was in Grand M once I think...    does it have a see through bridge?   

WW.

Offline The Warrior

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
Nice work, and, good thinking. ;)
Weshecat-too-weh! Weshecat-welo k'weshe laweh-pah!

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
Nice work, now let's see one of your famous meals in there!
Warning:  Sometimes it looks like I'm dancing, but it's just that I walked into a spiderweb. - Demetri Martin

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »
Thanks guys! 

And RP, you gotta make your own for next summer.  You aren't eating outta mine! ;)

Oh yes.. we're cool KayKay..  :)      I was thinking of Ramen noodles when I was typing.   I dont know about you...but it never fails to get a dribble off those noodles down my chin...     heh.

I was in Grand M once I think...    does it have a see through bridge?   

WW.
WW, Grand Marais is on the way to Thunder Bay north of Duluth.  I LOVED that little town.  We used to drive down there, the missus and me, for the day... good times.  Such nice people.  Like home away from home, you know?  Right on the shore of Lake Superior too.  Great spot.

Oh, and you seriously don't wanna see my Raman dribble... kinda like a "raman flow"!  ;)

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 04:55:05 AM »
Great idea KK!  That's a cool little kit. Oh I've got the titanium spork cause of food flicking breakage! ;-)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
Great idea KK!  That's a cool little kit. Oh I've got the titanium spork cause of food flicking breakage! ;-)
Thanks buddy!

Yea, I've been looking for the titanium spork... But around here, that stuff is more like "unobtainium spork" - cant seem to find one. And I won't pay the crazy shipping some of these stores charge just for a spork...

KK

Offline The Warrior

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 07:37:03 AM »
How you liking that Camelbak? I saw a used Linchpin the other day, in foilage, for $115 shipped. It was tempting me big time.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
How you liking that Camelbak? I saw a used Linchpin the other day, in foilage, for $115 shipped. It was tempting me big time.
Hey Warrior.  How's things?

You know what? I really like the Camelbak so far, although it's new enough to me (it's used) that I haven't been able to use it.  It's also hunting season, so I'll likely be carrying another pack around when I go out hunting (likely a blaze orange fanny pack).

That said, man this bag looks like it's gonna be awesome.  It is HUGE.  And yet, it carries extremely well lightly loaded, thanks to a aluminum reinforced internal plastic frame.  Those side pockets swallow a 1L Nalgene with room to spare. Zippers look heavy duty, and there is no wear, although this bag has seen undisclosed duty in warm and dry dusty places.  In fact, all the pockets hold a truck load of stuff - in fact, ALL the stuff I wanna play with when out and about fits in there with room to spare.  Lots of really sturdy zippered mesh pockets.  Internal straps to hold cloths etc. in place inside the bag. And it doesn't look huge when I put it on (but I'm, well, a pretty big guy, so that might change with someone's stature...).  Bear in mind as well, that at 6'2" I'm one of those guys who's long in the torso, so a big pack just sits better. Oh, and from what you said in your post about Starvation Rock (I think it's called?) this pack has a system with circulation channels that are put into the padding that rests against your back, which are supposed to allow the air some movement off your back - one of yours and my personal pet peeves with packs in general.  (See, I do pay attention sometimes! ;) )  We'll see how that works in the next few days - I plan on getting out soon just to give 'er a test run.

I guess to sum up, Warrior, this is, I think, the best pack I've personally ever had.  That doesn't say much, but there it is.

KK

Edited to add: I've no intention (at this point) of using the water bladder system, but it's there if I wanna go that route.  This an easy 3 day pack, MAYBE up to a week (?) if you pack light... ??? 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:01:17 AM by kanukkarhu »

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »
That mess kit you put together is way better than the Light My Fire Kit.  It has what you need.  I'd go with that everyday of the week.  I, especially, like the cutting board.  Nice build.
 :thumbsup:
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline The Warrior

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »

You know what? I really like the Camelbak so far, although it's new enough to me (it's used) that I haven't been able to use it.  It's also hunting season, so I'll likely be carrying another pack around when I go out hunting (likely a blaze orange fanny pack).

That said, man this bag looks like it's gonna be awesome.  It is HUGE.  And yet, it carries extremely well lightly loaded, thanks to a aluminum reinforced internal plastic frame.  Those side pockets swallow a 1L Nalgene with room to spare. Zippers look heavy duty, and there is no wear, although this bag has seen undisclosed duty in warm and dry dusty places.  In fact, all the pockets hold a truck load of stuff - in fact, ALL the stuff I wanna play with when out and about fits in there with room to spare.  Lots of really sturdy zippered mesh pockets.  Internal straps to hold cloths etc. in place inside the bag. And it doesn't look huge when I put it on (but I'm, well, a pretty big guy, so that might change with someone's stature...).  Bear in mind as well, that at 6'2" I'm one of those guys who's long in the torso, so a big pack just sits better. Oh, and from what you said in your post about Starvation Rock (I think it's called?) this pack has a system with circulation channels that are put into the padding that rests against your back, which are supposed to allow the air some movement off your back - one of yours and my personal pet peeves with packs in general.  (See, I do pay attention sometimes! ;) )  We'll see how that works in the next few days - I plan on getting out soon just to give 'er a test run.

I guess to sum up, Warrior, this is, I think, the best pack I've personally ever had.  That doesn't say much, but there it is.

KK

Edited to add: I've no intention (at this point) of using the water bladder system, but it's there if I wanna go that route.  This an easy 3 day pack, MAYBE up to a week (?) if you pack light... ???
That is a good sized pack. Most everything I've read about Camelbak has been positive.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »
That mess kit you put together is way better than the Light My Fire Kit.  It has what you need.  I'd go with that everyday of the week.  I, especially, like the cutting board.  Nice build.
 :thumbsup:
Thanks Matt! 

I really think this is one of those things that I've noticed the lack of in the bush.  I can always eat right outta the pot, but then that kinda ties up your pot until you're done eating whatever's in it.  That's OK in a pinch, but I hold to the old school of "smoothing it" and not roughing it.   Also, I like to eat a few different things (I'm not a huge raman fan) like maybe cheese, crackers, pickles, sausage, fish/sardines etc that I would normally have to just eat out of the container.  IMO, the extra weight is not that bad for the distances and pace I travel at - plus I'm kinda built more like a slow, plodding ox than a race horse, so I tend to be able to carry lots as I lumber by... And btw, the cutting board (the flexible kind) is literally worth it's miserly weight in gold - SO handy!

KK 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:32:45 AM by kanukkarhu »

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 11:31:34 AM »

KK

That is a good sized pack. Most everything I've read about Camelbak has been positive.
Yea, thanks Warrior.  Glad to hear good things about it.  I've no regrets, nor will I, I think.

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »
Thanks buddy!

Yea, I've been looking for the titanium spork... But around here, that stuff is more like "unobtainium spork" - cant seem to find one. And I won't pay the crazy shipping some of these stores charge just for a spork...

KK

Dude, don't buy one, k?

I've got a folding one that needs a new home.  Folding Spork

I guarantee it'll be 97% free of infectious diseases.
Warning:  Sometimes it looks like I'm dancing, but it's just that I walked into a spiderweb. - Demetri Martin

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »
Thanks buddy!

KK

Dude, don't buy one, k?

I've got a folding one that needs a new home.  Folding Spork

I guarantee it'll be 97% free of infectious diseases.
RP, if you wanna part with that spork, I'll try to make it worth your while.  I feel a swap coming on...  :cheers:

Hey, when's the Sportsman Show?  March?

KK

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
The cup in the LMF kit I really like, but the triangular shape of the whole kit is just too awkward to pack. A rectangular one just plain packs better.

And while I like the spork, it breaks way too easily. But like you said, I've been looking everywhere for the titanium one up here in Canada and no one seems to carry it.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 01:24:46 AM »
Sooo... whats about these famous meals you make?   Gonna show and tell?   :)

WW.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 07:12:51 AM »
Me?!? Famous meals? Are you kidding?  :lol:

Offline The Warrior

• Whetstone +
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
I like this idea. I have had my eye out for something similar. Great idea.

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
The cup in the LMF kit I really like, but the triangular shape of the whole kit is just too awkward to pack. A rectangular one just plain packs better.

And while I like the spork, it breaks way too easily. But like you said, I've been looking everywhere for the titanium one up here in Canada and no one seems to carry it.

Exploriment,

Are you looking for the LMF titanium spork (1 utensil on each end) or just any titanium spork? 

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
Correct. The LMF titanium spork. I already have some other titanium sporks, but while I do like the design of the LMF spork, the plastic they use is a joke.

Every outdoor oriented store I go into has a jar of the plastic ones by the cash register, but when I ask about the ti one, I'm met with blank stares, or outright admissions they have no interest in getting it in.
"Well I'm asking you about it. It seems some people are interested in it."

Sail, Europe Bound, MEC, BassPro, smaller retailers - none have it.

Offline Red Panda

• Whetstone +
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
Exploriment,

I'm going to the US, this week.

I can check for one, if you like.  What are you willing to spend?  I just dunno how much it'll cost, in a store.