Author Topic: Talking about tarps!  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
Talking about tarps!
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:51:15 AM »
Another certain site has tarps that they sell.

I really like the multi-cam pattern, but not the price.

They claim that the multi-cam is more water resistant and fire resistant.

What would be added to the material to make it more water resistant and fire retardent?

Does any other company offer the multi-cam?

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
Re: Talking about tarps!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:19:08 AM »
This site might help you find the answers on the fire retardancy and water resistance which is done for the military. You can order the fabric from them directly and find someone to sew it up to your specs. Look under the products tab for the different fabrics.

http://duroindustries.com.s134272.gridserver.com/index.php?page=Multicam
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »
Thanks BB!

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
Thanks BB!

Your welcome. I plan on ordering some of the fabric myself to make my own tarp.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »
It's a great pattern, probably the best camo I've seen that works just about anywhere, but the price is pretty scary... And the only ready made tarps are from a business I don't buy from anymore for a variety of reasons (heh) and Opsec's poncho, which is a bit small for a shelter and a bit heavy for a poncho.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »

When I got into bushcrafting from the primitive scene I tried to find a good tarp at a reasonable price,  at the time I didn't know about the venders that I know now,  so I kind of settled on buying a Kelty tarp or the one offered by The Canteen Shop,  but they were both out of stock, and being like most folks I wanted one now.
  So I looked around at the local big stores like REI, EMS. Dick's Sports. and Bass Pro,  nothing in stock and all on back order,  but a friendly clerk at EMS suggested I might try a Foot Print tarp for one of their larger tents,  they were on sale, so I bought an 8' x 10' for $30.00,  it wasn't ideal in that it didn't have all the tie downs found on tarp shelters,  But I've used it for a season now and it's working out very well.
 Another tarp that I use is a bit heavier but it works,  it's a light weight canvas painters tarp that I bought at Lowe's for about $20. bucks,  I washed it in hot water and ran it through the clothes dryer twice to get all the sizing out of it and shrink the weave to make it water resistant,  then I dyed it in a bucket of three gallons of hot water and a large jar of the cheapest instant coffee that I could buy over night.
 Then I wrung it out best I could and hung it outside to dry,  the next day I washed it again in the cloths washer and in the dryer it went for one more trip.
when dry I used two cans of tent sealer on it,  then sewed in some ties made of paracord, it's 7'X 9' and it also works great.

On day hikes I take the canvas tarp,  on over night trips I take the foot print, if it looks at all like it might rain I take both.
 It would be nice to have a 10'x10' tarp that weighed a couple of pounds,  but for a hundred and forty bucks,  I'll stay with what I have,  and maybe invest in a decent 2-man backpacking tent.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »
The people at Etowah make a good product. You can deal with them directly or get some of their stuff from Ben's, rather than going to the "other store." Might even be worth it to ask them about a multicam tarp, might be cheaper by going to the source, as it were.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:19:21 AM »
Thanks for all of the help folks.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »
I got my 2 equinox tarps from Bens yesterday. Haven't even taken them out of the package however.
Axes Rock!