Author Topic: Cedar Strip Kayak  (Read 9410 times)

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
Cedar Strip Kayak
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Spent a few months (and will likely spend at least another month yet) building a 19.5 foot cedar strip kayak.

Took it out for a quick test paddle. (And I have to say - it is creamy! The length makes it really fast and it handles beautifully.) The hatches are held on with tuck tape and the deck and hull are also held together for now the same way. Still need to do a bunch of work on the hatches, put in a seat, foot pegs, webbing blocks on the deck, attach the deck and hull put on a rub rail, bronze stem band, varnish it...probably a couple of other things. Oh yeah, several paddles and a deck bag need to be made as well. I'll be busy over the winter.

Super fun project, but I fear that this may just be the start of another pastime. Although my next kayak is going to be a take down skin on frame model. Aluminum tubing and a PVC skin. Whole other ball game. But I think I will definitely come back to this style of construction at some point.

I've been posting periodic updates on the build. The boat went faster than I managed to keep up with processing the hundreds and hundreds of photos I took, but I'll get caught up shortly now that it's settled down a bit. If you're interested this will give you an idea of what is involved.
http://exploriment.blogspot.ca/2012/08/building-cedar-strip-kayak.html

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: Cedar Strip Kayak
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
That's a beauty!

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
Wow.  Nice kayak!  Great job!

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
I love strippers.....espec ially cedar ones ;).   What kind of joinery did you use and how did you hold the strips?   Stitch & glue, staples?  What does she weigh?  We need MORE info, but I'll check out your blogspot, too.  Beautiful boat :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:09:39 PM »
Bead and cove, with GorillaGlue wood glue to hold it in place. We opted not to use staples and came up with what we believe to be a unique shock cord system to hold the strips in place as the glue dried.

We did a very unscientific weigh and it came to about +-50, 55 lbs. The plans state that it will come out to about 65 lbs. Given the stuff that still needs to go in and on, that seems to be about in the right range.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Very nice she's a beauty, were you down there at Pier 4 ?  Thanks for the link to your build.
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Cedar Strip Kayak
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
Very nice :)
A little long for my needs, but nice nonetheless ;)
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »
Yup. Launched it by the Leander Rowing Club. Five minutes from where we're building it.

It is crazy long, but they're being built for two giants. Need the leg room, and also the extra weight carrying capacity. Once my 240 pounds are in, plus supplies for a week or two of paddling around Georgian Bay, it needed to be a big boat. Storing it will be a pain, transporting it will be a pain, but once it gets in the water, wooohh boy is she fast.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »
Wow, looks awesome! Fantastic job on that. Will be nice to see it finished out. :thumbsup:

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »
Fantastic job! I would love to build one but I fear I still need to learn  to have more patience.

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 05:39:26 AM »
Very nice lines, great job with the build.

I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 06:04:06 AM »
Wowza!  Wood is good.  Wonder why it feels so different on the water...
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline treez

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 06:13:16 AM »
That looks amazing!!!  Great job!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »
Nice man   :thumbsup:

that's beautiful.  Cool project. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
Wow!  Beautiful boat!  Nicely done!
 :thumbsup:
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline The Warrior

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »
Incredible work my friend. That looks AWESOME.
Weshecat-too-weh! Weshecat-welo k'weshe laweh-pah!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »
Great looking kayak brother.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline manddoutfitters

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 07:17:52 PM »
That looks cool man. I bet that sucker will fly with that length.
Member 129 damn it's hot in Fla.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
X,
   I've been following the build on your blog and was really anxious to see her afloat.
Nice job. Can't wait to see her all decked out.
Thank you for sharing
Yeo
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline Jeff Schafer

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »
I have made a couple of cedar strip canoes and it is adictive. Your kayak has very nice lines. I would like to build one similar to yours.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 08:10:23 PM »
Beautiful.  I always wanted to try to build one of those but I discovered the cost to build was much higher than one would think.

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:05:11 PM »
I have made a couple of cedar strip canoes and it is adictive. Your kayak has very nice lines. I would like to build one similar to yours.

Yes, yes it is. I would like to build a whole bunch of these. Kayaks of different sizes, single, tandem. Canoes of various sizes. The plan we used was from Bear Mountain. I like the lines on the Guillemot ones a little more, but I think the Bear Mountain ones are easier to build. Namely the separate top and bottom is easier to manage than trying to epoxy down inside the one piece hull of the Guillemot models.

This one isn't even all the way done and I'm already dreaming of another. But a whole other means of building. A collapsible frame/removable skin kayak. While I love my kayak - it is big. At close to 20' storing it is a pain, transporting it is a pain. Once it's on the water everything is great. But I would like to make one that I could take apart, and carry on my back, or in a trailer behind a bike, or in the trunk of a car or in the hold of a plane.

Beautiful.  I always wanted to try to build one of those but I discovered the cost to build was much higher than one would think.

Thanks. Yes and no. I think the final cost of this will come out to about $1200. A chunk of money, but when I see fibreglass or plastic kayaks that cost double, triple even quadruple that - it doesn't strike me as that onerous. And I will cherish the memories of building this forever. I will know where every flaw is, see character in her, etc. I'm not sure that plunking down a credit card would have the same impact. But! Admittedly there are other costs. You need space to do it in, you need tools (the clamps alone would set you back a chunk of change - I don't think it's over the top to say you need 4, 5, 6 dozen clamps - even more wouldn't hurt), power tools preferably, I think you need more than beginner woodworking skills. And then there is the issue of time. It's not a weekend project.

Having said all that though, building this has been one of the most satisfying and rewarding things I've ever done. Worth every penny spent and then some. I highly encourage you and anyone else to give it a shot.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
But I would like to make one that I could take apart, and carry on my back, or in a trailer behind a bike, or in the trunk of a car or in the hold of a plane.

Yostwerks is what you're looking for.  Take a look at the first post here, Exploriment:

http://www.foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4272

Sets up in minutes, weighs less than 25lbs, packs down small and costs around $100 to make.  He's designed a bigger one as well (I think 16'?) .
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
But I would like to make one that I could take apart, and carry on my back, or in a trailer behind a bike, or in the trunk of a car or in the hold of a plane.

Yostwerks is what you're looking for.  Take a look at the first post here, Exploriment:

http://www.foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4272

Sets up in minutes, weighs less than 25lbs, packs down small and costs around $100 to make.  He's designed a bigger one as well (I think 16'?) .

Pretty sweet looking build for a folding kayak, thanks for the link
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 12:43:15 PM »
Pretty sweet looking build for a folding kayak, thanks for the link

You bet!  I'm waiting for Tom Yost to post up the instructions, but it might be something I need to try and figure out myself.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline shane

• Whetstone +
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »
Very nice
Making one of a kind tools, one at a time -shane

Offline Exploriment

• Mill File+
  • Making something.
    • Exploriment
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 08:45:52 PM »
Yeah, the Yost site is what inspired me to try that approach. But all the plans on there are for smaller boats. Since I'm a bit on the ginormous side, I'm inclined towards the idea of a bigger boat - leg room, hold my weight, hold the weight of all my stuff, etc. Don't know if he can be convinced to tackle plans for a bigger one, or if I should just wrap my brain around upsizing a design that is on there.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »
She's a beaut!