Author Topic: Kershaw Skyline - Review  (Read 4279 times)

Offline BR101

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
    • Blade Reviews 101
Kershaw Skyline - Review
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »

Specifications:
Overall Length: 7.375"
Blade Length: 3.125"
Blade Steel: Sandvik 14C28N
Closed Length: 4.25"
Weight: 2.3 oz.
Made in USA

Today I am reviewing the Kershaw Skyline. The skyline is a shining example of what a budget EDC pocket knife should be. Great value, lightweight, good steel, sharp, rugged?the Kershaw Skyline delivers!

Starting with the business end of the skyline. The blade is constructed from a 14C28N steel. While it's not a "super steel" it is very adequate for this price point. 14C28N takes a SUPER fine razor edge and holds it just fine. Sharpening is easy too. Out of the box it is very sharp! There is next to no blade wiggle when locked open. The flipper works great and deploys the knife nice and smooth. It does have ambidextrous thumb studs, although, for me they are very hard to utilize. Also I wanted to mention the blade point is very thin and you could use this for precise cutting or even removing splinters. Out of the box the blade was perfectly centered!

Lockup on the Kershaw Skyline is smooth and tight, there is no wiggle room in the blade when deployed. Here you can also see the bronze phosphor washer that attributes to the smooth and fast deployment of the flipper. And you can see the spine of the handle is partially open for easy cleaning and dusting out. The jimping on the lockbar is adequate.

The G10 scales on this skyline are really nice. Most budget knives use a zytel plastic composite material for handles. The fact that Kershaw integrated G10 with this knife gives it extra coolness in my book. It has a good texture. It's not discomforting and it's not the cheap glossy G10 stuff either. Even in a wet environment you'll be able to get a firm grip on this knife.

The pocket clip is pretty simple but works great. When it's in the pocket it won't be moving around at all. You can mount the clip for Tip up, Tip Down and Right hand only. 

Things I Like:
Value: The Kershaw Skyline has great value in my book. G10 scales, Sharp easy to resharpen blade, flipper, lightweight, thin overall chassis
Flipper: The flipper design is super smooth and fast to deploy.
Weight: At 2.3oz the skyline will work in just about every EDC system.
Handles: G10 scales on a knife in this price point = extra awesomeness !!
Made in USA.

Things I Dislike:
Jimping: No jimping on the spine of the blade and handle.
Thumb Studs: Useless if you ask me.

Feel free to check out my website for other cool reviews.
 Thank you,

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Kershaw Skyline - Review
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:02:51 PM »
Thanks for the review! I am a fan of Kershaw knives. I carry a blur every day. They make a nice knife for the price. I like the sleek styling on this model as well.

Any chance of putting a link back here on your blog? ;)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 05:20:36 AM »
I like my kershaws too. Great review.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 07:29:40 AM »
I have a few Kershaw's.  I used to carry one regularly when I was a police officer.  My brother has several and it is his EDC.

Thanks for the review!
 ;)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:24 AM »
Nice review. I've been carrying my skyline on and off for a couple years and have had no problems with it.

I'll add that the "thumb studs" aren't really that, they're blade stops, used for lockup. You'll notice this knife doesn't have a traditional stop pin, but uses these studs. I think using them as thumb studs was either an afterthought, or a poor instance of "multi-function."

Either way, i agree they're useless as thumb studs, even if you sand away a bit of the scale to make it more accessible.

Thanks again for the review

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
What's that smell?

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
I lost my favourite "edc" folder. It was a Kershaw. Your review makes me want to replace it with this.

Thanks for posting!

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »
Nice review. I've been carrying my skyline on and off for a couple years and have had no problems with it.

I'll add that the "thumb studs" aren't really that, they're blade stops, used for lockup. You'll notice this knife doesn't have a traditional stop pin, but uses these studs. I think using them as thumb studs was either an afterthought, or a poor instance of "multi-function."

Either way, i agree they're useless as thumb studs, even if you sand away a bit of the scale to make it more accessible.

Thanks again for the review

So, do these knives really work as one handed openers then?

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
My dad has a Kershaw (of the Chinese variety) that he uses all the time. It's basically his EDC blade, not that he goes anywhere to carry it. At any one time it's cutting pepperoni, opening packages, removing hinges from stamps (it's a collecting thing...), cutting paper, sharpening pencils...

I think it's the Crown or Crown II.

Nice knives, no matter where they are made.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
Re: Re: Kershaw Skyline - Review
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »

Yeah, it's designed as a flipper. Part of the tang sticks out the back of the handle when closed, which when pressed with your index finger, opens the blade. Similar to the venerable crkt m16. Check you-tube. Many knives use this design.

What's that smell?

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
Re: Re: Kershaw Skyline - Review
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »

Yeah, it's designed as a flipper. Part of the tang sticks out the back of the handle when closed, which when pressed with your index finger, opens the blade. Similar to the venerable crkt m16. Check you-tube. Many knives use this design.

Thanks HB. I see it now in the first pic there.